“Beds are comfortable and Breakfast is GREAT!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City

You added Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #39 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Neptune City, New Jersey
“Beds are comfortable and Breakfast is GREAT!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We checked in the Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City on Saturday 4/14/2012. We were in town for a friends wedding so we were only staying over night and looking to spend less than the $200 at the wedding block hotel. We were 2 couples and chose the 2 bedroom suite at the Residence inn. Per couple the cost came to $135 with tax and city tax. We also used the AAA rate. We thought this price was great for what we received. The front desk was extremely helpful with everything we needed and answered all of our questions with a smile. Within 20 minutes of check in the front desk called to make sure we had everything we needed. The beds were soooo comfortable. We could have slept for days. The common area was nice with enough seating for all of us and a dining room table. The kitchen was perfect for what we needed it for and that was just the fridge and some ice for our drinks. The location was fantastic with the hotel being right in Penn Square. The wedding block hotel was just 1 block away at the Marriott. The breakfast was more fantastic than we thought it would be. Eggs, sausage, waffels, yogurts. You name it, and it was there. For a continental breakfast this was above my expectations. The only reason I did not give it one more dot was that the hotel rooms/bathrooms could have been updated just a bit. They were probably done within the last 10 - 15 years but need a little boost. That is all I would change.
Thank you Residence Inn you were great and would stay again!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
New Bern, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We go to philadelphia once or twice a year and have stayed at many hotels in the City Center area like Holiday Inn Express, Loew's, Holiday Inn Crown Plaza, etc. But for the past 7 years we've stayed at the Residence Inn. In the past couple of years they have redone the rooms, the beds are VERY comfortable, we love it when our room faces City Hall, a beautiful sight. The breakfast is outstanding, you get free wireless, and when we went in February they had redone the 2nd floor and now there is a beautiful lounge there. The lobby isn't much but who cares, we don't hang out in the lobby anyway. The staff is great and location outstanding.

Room Tip: love the ones that face city hall
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
South Jersey Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I just got back from a night at the Residence Inn Phila. Center City. The location is great, within walking distance to the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the National Constitution Center, The Gallery, The Reading Terminal Market, and lots more. The only parking is valet, and it's not cheap, but it was convenient and our car was delivered in a timely manner. The staff were all very friendly. The included full hot breakfast was lovely. There was anything you can imagine to eat. You can cook your own hot waffles, there were prepared breakfast sandwiches, prepared yogurt parfaits, plus eggs, sausage, hot and cold cereal, 3 different juices, coffee, tea, etc. I could go on and on - it was quite a nice breakfast in a beautiful room. They thought of everything - there was even whipped cream for the waffles. The room we had was a suite with a separate bedroom, living area, and fully equipped kitchen. The room seemed older and had old style tv's in both the bedroom and the living room. The bathroom was comfy and the bed was soft, with a couple different types of pillows. I can't stress how helpful and nice the staff was. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of City Hall which is right next door. We had a straight on view of the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

What more could you want!?
The Center city area of Philadelphia has 3 Marriott properties within 2 blocks of eachother, so prior to a recent business trip to the city, I was trying to figure out which one to book. Marriott's Residence Inn brand is definitely more functional rather than luxurious compared to the others, but it does the trick.
On arrival, I was greeted by the pleasant staff and informed that my Marriott rewards status made me eligible for a free upgrade (I was already staying on points). Minutes later I was relaxing in my 1 bedroom suite on the 21st floor overlooking city hall.
Little did I know that the best part was awaiting me the following morning with a quite impressive continental breakfast of waffles, eggs, sausage, melon, +++. Definitely more than I expected for a free hotel breakfast.
The hotel also has a very nice common area on the 2nd floor for those who want to get out of their room to do some work. Independence Hall is only a 10 minute walk away, while the Market line subway or Reading Terminal Market are both around the corner.
I'll definitely be staying here on future trips to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Many of the higher floor rooms have great views of city hall
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I spent the month of March at the Residence Inn. I was very pleased with everything. Although I was there on business, I thought it was the perfect spot for a family trip to Philadelphia. The two bedroom suites have small bedrooms but an adequate sized living room between with a kitchen. If you give the front desk your grocery list by 9:00, they go grocery shopping for you, at no added charge.
The one bedroom mini-suites are a great option for business travelers. It combines a small work area with a bedroom and kitchen.
The hot breakfast seven days a week was included and far superior to most chains offering this option. Scrambled eggs, waffles, a breakfast meat (usually turkey Canadian bacon) and potatoes were offered every day. Fruit was limited. Every weeknight, they offer a one entree dinner, hamburgers, pulled pork barbeque, etc. Both meals were good and an excellent bargain for families.
The front desk, facilities and housekeeping staff were all receptive, very courteous and eager to please.
The hotel is right across from City Hall in the middle of Philadelphia. There are lots of things within short walking distance.
Overall, my experience was outstanding. The other two Marriott properties have nicer amenities, but not nicer people and the Residence Inn has a better value for the price.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter, but only an issue during the day, if some type of event is taking place.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed here with my husband for 4 nights 3 days. Overall I think the other Marriott properties in close proximity are much better options. Here's the overall positive/negative of my stay at this Residence Inn:

Positives: Location is near to everything. Valets are fantastic--friendly, professional, and doing a great job. No issues with our personal belongings in the car even though we left them in there on numerous occasions. Front desk staff were at least friendly but didn't do much to resolve some issues we encountered. 2nd floor lounge is updated, modern, and has coffee with to-go cups 24/7. Loved that. Fitness center and business center looked very nice although I didn't use them. Room was large, clean (albeit awkward design) and shower worked well. No sounds from rooms next door to use even though there were tons of kids staying for a marshal arts competition. It was great to have the full fridge and dishwasher and a real coffee maker. We took advantage of that and used all the appliances. The housekeeping service was very good the entire time.

Negatives: Okay, first of all, if you like aesthetics this is not your place. The front of the building is shabby (scaffolding, residence inn sign is falling off) and the tiny lobby very underwhelming. The rooms, as many mentioned, are worn. Carpet needs a serious upgrade. Weird stain on floor of kitchen that appeared permanent (grout material?) but just looked gross. Weird layout in the room where the TV is off at an angle that makes it hard to watch from the bed. We asked for a king and got a small queen. They could not accomodate our request for a king or two doubles but as a consulation they let us pick a snack out of the (limited) snack bar area for free. (whoo-hoo) The biggest pet peeve of mine is when a hotel toilet doesn't work right. This one didn't flush right the entire time we were there even though we complained and they supposedly fixed it. Internet wireless was unreliable and I had trouble staying connected. the TV options were terrible. No movies to rent or room service, but we knew that going in so I can't gripe too much about it.
Overall it was not a horrible experience, and I know we could've done worse, but it certainly left much to be desired. I would recommend the Courtyard right next door or if you have some extra cash, the full Marriott around the block. It was lovely. If more $$ is put into the Residence Inn, it will be a great hotel. They just need to invest in it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, preferably in the corner at the end of the hall if you like quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed here in 2010 and it was perfect. Scheduled a stay here specifically because of its proximity to the SEPTA under City Hall.

This didn't work out.

It wasn't Residence Inn's fault - the station under City Hall is undergoing renovations. So instead of being able to take the SEPTA to the Wells Fargo Center for 2 nights of events, we took a cab. Unexpected and disappointed.

But Residence Inn was great. On check-in, we were wanting some cranberry juice to make some drinks. There were only 3 in the cooler for purchase, but the gentleman working the counter gladly brought some extras that we purchased up to the room within minutes of our arrival.

The room was terrific and the stay was quiet. When we arrived, there was no ice in the freezer. The ice maker had broken. Within 10 minutes an engineer was up there replacing the ice maker. Not only that, but he went back downstairs with our ice bin and filled it with ice for us. VERY nice.

I do have 1 minor complaint... the televisions. They work great, but they're pretty old. I would have really liked to have connected my computer to the TV. It's something I've gotten used to and was surprised/disappointed that Residence Inn didn't have this. Hopefully they'll upgrade the TVs in the rooms to the level of excellence that the rest of the hotel maintains.

One more thing... breakfast. It was FANTASTIC. Maybe the best breakfast buffet I've had at any Residence (or any of the other Marriott properties).

If I am back in Philly for anything, I will look to this hotel first for my accommodations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!