“Seriously great date night idea for adult fun away from the kids.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grim Philly Twilight Tours

Ranked #22 of 79 Activities in Philadelphia
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Gritty, R-Rated, uncensored night tours by college professors, published authors. 9 tours to choose- including walking, river boat, and tavern tours- on darker subject matter including ghosts, sex, vampire lore, serial killers, gangsters and prohibition, pirates, the Jersey Devil... Voted Best Philly tours and featured on Travel Chanel- Grim Philly is open year round; though tours, hours, and departure change seasonally.
Philly
“Seriously great date night idea for adult fun away from the kids.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife and I found their vampires, sex and ghost tour on groupon and can not stop raving about it. Both of us have grown up here in philly and had no idea about all this crazy stuff. Tour guide talked 2 hours straight none stop, not a dull moment and couldn’t help listen to every word he said. Seriously great date night idea and would have to leave the kids behind anyway, advertised as Rated R. lots of great adult humor and seriously creative. Will be taking their blood and beer tour for sure.

Visited April 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“WASTE of time and money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I was very optimistic about this tour. As a history buff, and one who enjoys a good ghost tour, I was thoroughly looking forward to learning some facts about this city from an area professor.

I was so excited about it, I decided to take my entire wedding party for a tour the night before our wedding. We had 5 bridesmaids, 5 groomsmen, several spouses, and parents. We had actually made arrangements with Joe to have a private tour, but he called me and asked if I would mind if there were a few people - no more than 3 or 4, he said - who would tag along. Being a generally agreeable guy, I said sure.

However, when we got there, our group was outnumbered. Now, everyone else was nice enough, but it was clear that he didn't keep his word.

Finally, it was not a ghost tour. He told one story of someone who was hanged, and then said, "And people say it's been haunted ever since." That was it. Seriously.

The whole tour was about prostitutes. Almost every tour was about prostitutes

Most of our group left before the tour was over. It was an absolute waste of time and money - even at the Groupon rate, it's a waste.

Visited September 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“If you want to know about hookers and slums this is the tour for you and your family!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The tour was awful, not what I had expected. It's basically a history lesson at 10pm while walking through old city. They guy showed up about 45 minutes late and made us walk around Washington square to give a tour that you could have done standing in once spot. For the majority of the tour, he spoke about the history of prostitution in Philly. And when he wasn't talking about that, he was talking about how gross Philly was back in the colonial times. Absolutely AWFUL! THIS IS NOT A GHOST TOUR.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best tour- recomend highly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I had a wonderful time on this tour! Our guide walked us through some historical sites in Philly and gave us the more "Grim" side of it's history! This tour was educational, but not in an "Oh No! I'm Learning!" kind of way. The tour seemed well thought out, and researched. He even gave us a few ghost stories, ones that he could verify through a source, not a friend of a friend of this guy down the street who heard once... etc. I'm a Philly local and had been completely unaware of most of the fun facts and history lessons brought up during our walk through Philly! Our guide was completely entertaining and enthusiastic, he encouraged participation, and appears to have a vast knowledge on Philadelphia's history! This was a great look behind the scenes of one of our nations most historic cities! :-p

Wilds of New Jersey
26 attraction reviews
“I wonder if the ghost tour people were having a better time...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

The first sign that this was going to be disappointing was the number of people waiting on the corner for the tour to start. Seems that discounts for the tour were offered on both Groupon and Living Social. In any case, WAY too many people. A large part of the tour was conducted by a trainee guide while the professor stood by. Sorry, but we didn't pay to watch a trainee struggle. There were some historic details that I hadn't heard before, but I'm sure the grimness of Philadelphia extends beyond prostitutes and the Revolutionary War period. When asked about the yellow fever epidemic, he said he had to cut that out as the tour was getting too long! If he had stopped making the same points endlessly, perhaps he could have spared it a mention. I too had a problem with the dissing of other tour groups. The whole thing felt haphazardly put together. To add insult to injury, at the end of the tour, in front of a group that had noticeably shrunk to half of its initial size, the professor suggested that we consider giving the trainee a buck or two since she wasn't being paid!

The professor needs to sit down and decide what he wants the tour to be. If you are going for an academic tour, you need to add a lot more detail, analysis, and hand out sources afterward.("A ticket to the theater and a hooker? We wouldn't be able to afford it. But someone like George Washington could." Um - How much was a ticket and a hooker cause you don't know me. Did George Washington go to the theater with hookers? If so, say so or leave his name out of it.) If you want an entertaining night of salacious or grim stories, forget the "obligation" to academia and preface everything with weasel words like "It is said..."