“Great Hotel & Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Inn at Penn

You added Hilton Inn at Penn to your Saves list
Hilton Inn at Penn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (University City)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Unbeatable PKG From $149
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Johns Creek, Georgia
“Great Hotel & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Penn for Upenn's homecoming. Overall it was a great experience. We arrived before check-in and there were no rooms immediately available. When the front desk clerk noticed that we were travelling with a five month old, she called housekeeping and we were given the next room.

We had a little trouble at Penne, the hotel's restaurant. After 20 minutes seated with no menu, water or any attention at all from the wait staff, we walked out. I expressed my frustration to the manager on duty, and he took care of us with complimentary room service.

The hotel is nice, the rooms are nice and the attentive service can't be beat. This hotel is very highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary after getting a great rate through Priceline. We really wanted to stay in Center City, so before we arrived I was a little disappointed about the location in University City. However, the hotel is situated in a great neighborhood and is surrounded by plenty of stores, restaurants, bars, etc. thanks to Penn. The weather was beautiful so we ended up walking to Center City and back that evening, which was great (roughly 1.5 miles each way, which might be too far for those who aren't used to city walking or have mobility issues, but mass transit stops are very close to the hotel and will take you anywhere in the city).

The hotel itself had a beautiful lobby, and the staff was very welcoming. The room was nicely decorated, clean and quiet, though not very large. The only downside was that there are no vending machines in the hotel and the only drinks available are from the room minibar or room service (both kind of expensive). If you're planning on staying (especially with kids), I would highly recommend bringing water/drinks and snacks if you'll need them.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Purchase, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We came to Penn for a prospective student visit and this hotel was the obvious choice, a block and a half from College Hall, and part of the same structure that houses the main university bookstore. The hotel has a number of rooms named for alumni, and a clubby university feel that belies its recent construction.
Our room was newish, comfortable and clean, and available at twelve when we arrived.
But not all was sunshine.
At check-in I was told that the rate I had booked, $20 higher than the standard, included breakfast for one, not two and that I would have to pay $10 extra for my daughter (the prospective student). When I protested this was not as advertised, the manager relented.
I was NOT told that the rooms in the line my room was in did not have minibars. The rest of the hotel does, and as a consequence there are no soda machines in the hotel. Nor is there a gift shop with beverages for sale.When I wanted a soda at night, I was told I could walk to WaWa or use room service, neither of which were attractive options. I am a bit surpraised not to have been given a good room, as I am at VIP status in Hilton Honors.
Finally, at about 4:30 p.m. we received a note stating there would be no hot water in the morning for showers due to repairs -- which the hotel blamed on Penn. For $229 a night in West Philly, plus $32 to park, I do not want to hear excuses. I think an adjustment or other consideration from the hotel was needed. When I complained at check-out I did not get so much as an apology, only a sorrowful look from the clerk.
If you are combining a visit to Penn with tourism in Center CIty, I would think about staying in Center City and taking a cab or bus to Penn. If you are only interested in Penn, then stay here, it's too convenient and charming to be put off by minor lapses.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We stayed here for 3 days with the intent of spending time both in the city and on Penn's campus for a football game. We couldn't have been happier with the choice of hotel based on location, room, hotel amenities and service. It is extremely convenient to the heart of campus, located just one block off Locust Walk. However, it is also super convenient to downtown - and without the noise and congestion of actually being in the city. The bus stop to downtown is 2 blocks away from the hotel on Chestnut St, and the return bus stops 1/2 block from the door to the hotel on Walnut St. There is also the Market St subway which is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We had 2 small children with us, so the green open space of the campus was a great place to take the kids at the end of a day in the city. The restaurant in the hotel (Penne) was terrific and there are also some great restaurants down the street from the hotel - in particular, the White Dog which is a block away. In addition to the location, we loved the beautiful, rich decor of the hotel, the big rooms (we had 2 double beds) and the great breakfast in the large sunny dining room. I can't say enough about the extremely helpful and friendly staff. I've been to Philadelphia many times, but this stay had to be one of the best.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

We were here to visit Penn and to see the sites of Philly. This hotel had all the amenities required by our teen travelers: Comfy beds, great TV, walking distance to WaWa for midnight snacks. We had a car and found this to be a very convenient location to get to all of the major sites within minutes including the "Terror Behind the Walls" Haunted House. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

As you probably know the hotel is essentially on campus. The bookstore is next door. As a result there are places to eat nearby and it is easy to get a cab. Downtown isn't too far by cab. The place feels like a grand old hotel from 100 years ago. The staff are good - not great but good enough. The rooms feel a little cramped but not like NY. The only negative I had was the restaurant. The buffet is absurd both in price and service. There was a fellow trying to seat people and I assme he must have a handicap of some sort. He walked in circles, mumbled a lot and the wait staff had to find seats. It isn't fair that the hotel put this guy in a job he can't perform. Other than that I thought it was a decent stay. I'd skip the hotel restaurant altogether and hit the Cosi next door or one of the other places - much better food at normal prices.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

This hotel understands hospitality. I needed a microwave & refrigerator in my room, and they brought them in within 15minutes of notice. They also fixed the heating & cooling problem in my room quickly. I am never one to complain, and although my visit had the minor issues I mentioned...the STAFF at this hotel is excellent and saved the day. I would stay here again and recommend them!

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Inn at Penn? Share your experiences!