“Great hotel at reasonable price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Inn at Penn

Save Saved
You added Hilton Inn at Penn to your Saves list
Hilton Inn at Penn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (University City)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Best Philly Overnight Pkg
Ranked #4 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Troy, New York
“Great hotel at reasonable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed at The Inn at Penn for four nights during Thanksgiving. Very nice hotel. Rooms are very clean and the service was great! My husband complained about the bed, but I slept great! The library was a great room with two cozy fireplaces. A nice, quiet area to read books with my 6 yr. old daughter. Two cons.... (1) No pool! This was a bummer because both of my children are swimmers. So, I always had to find something else for them to do when we needed to be at the hotel. (2). Valet parking is off-street for $40.00 per night. Being charged that kind of money to park my car next to a curb didn't make me feel too good. However, I would stay there again when in Philly. I felt the hotel had the best room rates for such a nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

632 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My travel history is extensive. We arrived for the Army-Navy Game at 0130 hrs 8 Dec 2012. The valet service was exceptional at that late hour; very attentive to our every need. The gentleman at the front desk was quick with our check-in and handled several other questions in specific detail. He left no room for error. Thorough in making sure he understood the precise nature of our request(s). The buffet in the University Club (although pricey) was excellent. Again, the service was quick and attentive. Keep in mind, the hotel and the University Club were packed with fans for the Army-Navy game. The staff did not miss a step. The rooms were very clean. The rooms offered many packaged electrical outlets. The A/C system actually lets select the temperature you desire. Regardless of whether you want the room cold or hot without consideration of the temperature or season. Many hotels regulate this feature and can make for a few uncomfortable nights during a business trip. The concierge was equally impressive. On game day, she was swamped with people many numerous requests. We were approximately number 9 in line. When it was our turn, she smiled and treated us as if we were her first guest on a slow day. She was extremely helpful and her informational details were spot on. The hotel location is in the midst of Penn and Drexel Universities and very close to the sports complex and historic area. The Hilton organization should make this location model for other mangers to visit, take notes and duplicate. In future trips to the Army-Navy Game, this location will be our priority. GO NAVY!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Very nice street presence. Valet greeted me while I was still in car. Very helpful with bags. Check-in was a breeze. Room was very nice. Modern. iPads in every room. No written brochures. Everything you need is done by ipad. Made dinner reservations, got street maps, ordered room service - all through the ipad. Staff followed up with a call to very order and then again to see if everything was to my satisfaction. Liked the Evo system too. When you enter the room you put your room key in a slot on the wall. Your lights come on as you left the, temperature sets to your last setting, etc. Leave the room, pull out key, 10 seconds later everything shuts down. Smart & neat. I had an excellent meal at Penne restaurant. It was packed yet they still managed to find me a table without reservations. Wine was excellent. The only caveat was the lack of in room breakfast. You had to go downstairs to a buffet (which i didn't do). Not a deal killer for me as i'm not a big breakfast eater. Needless to say I would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here the next time I'm in Philadelphia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

i stayed in this Hilton hotel 3 nights while my husband was having surgery at the University of Penn Hospital. It is only a four block walk through the campus to reach the hospital which I made many times, cutting through the campus each time. It was a safe walk at any hour. My room was on the 4th floor overlooking the campus and I did not hear any street noise. The King room was lovely, with one lounge to sit in by day to read as the sun gleamed in the window. There was an ipad in the room to use, which was very convenient since I only had my smart phone to e mail.
Pros
~The service was fantastic and the maids were very understanding of my situation letting me sleep in one morning while skipping service, they hung a bag of extras like water and coffee on my door.
~The rooms were spotless, roomy the bed and pillows were comfy, the shower was great.
~ I loved their lighted mirror in the bathroom. It is the only time I have every looked good by a hotel bathroom light. I want one for my home.
~ The Penne restaurant attached had a nice lunch special which I enjoyed three days in a row. The arugula salad and a chose of entree for $17 was a good deal and served as my main meal. There is a breakfast buffet also, but I did not partake.
~Front desk staff very helpful and there is a large living room area with fireplace area which was a nice touch.
Very quiet. I never heard anyone above or next to me or any street noise.
~Coffee available in room, but also there is a starbucks in the college bookstore next door, and one down the street. There is a cafe called Cosi right out the back door entrance which served wonderful breakfast sandwiches and lunch salads/sandwiches which I purchased and put in the refridge in my room for a late dinner. There roasted veggie sandwich was my favorite.

Cons
Parking is 39.00 a day, a bit steep, but it is the city. I parked my car at the hospital since my husband was a patient and rolled my luggage over...short walk.. You might want to check out other near by self park lots.

Room Tip: Campus view rooms get afternoon sunshine which is nice in the winter especially.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton for 8 nights while attending a program at University of Pennsylvania. I was very satisfied with my stay. This hotel is located just across the street from UPenn and is very convenient when visiting the campus and offers much to do around the area. The rooms were beautiful, and the bed was very comfortable. The service was excellent and everyone was very accommodating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

A pleasant surprise in University City just off the University of Pennsylvania campus, this boutique-style hotel is in a great location for visiting the college campuses or attending students nearby - it is not as good a location for business or sightseeing stays. The lobby is incredibly large and nicely decorated. The rooms were a decent size with comfortable beds, although the "ipad in every room" has virtually no realistic usefulness. Was not impressed with the restaurant, but there are lots of nearby places to eat

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton for two nights while attending parents weekend at Drexel University. We arrived 4 days after hurricane Sandy. We were without power and were so happy to be checking into the hotel.The room and bathroom were spotless. Loved the comfy feel of the library while sitting by the fireplace. The staff were all very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Inn at Penn? Share your experiences!