“As good as it gets in Philly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Inn at Penn

Save Saved
You added Hilton Inn at Penn to your Saves list
Hilton Inn at Penn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (University City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Philly Overnight Pkg
Ranked #4 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“As good as it gets in Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am picky, trust me! I have stayed at several Philly hotels over the last few years. Inn at Penn is ranked number one for me. Just got back from 3 nights there,stayed due to Hurricane Sandy. First of all the place is spotless. If you read all my reviews you will see I check the room as soon as I enter, I won't even unpack until I do. I lift all the bed spreads and check thoroughly for bed bugs, dirty sheets,check the bathroom,etc. It was very clean. Secondly the rooms feel spacious compared to other city hotels I have been in,same with hallways, everything is a bit wider and doesn't feel cramped. All of the hotel looks newly remodeled, fresh looking and up to date decor. The bathrooms are great, large vessel sink, rain shower head plus seperate sprayer, couldn't get my kids out of the shower. Towels are good quality. Beds very comfortable, and have extra feather beds on them so nice and soft. They give each room an ipad which serves as directory, you order your room service on it,etc. Room key also serves to turn on and off lights, it's all pretty technically savvy which I love. The restaurants ,there are two. The Italian one is called Penne. Very good, cool wine bar atmosphere,good food,nice wait staff. The casual one is University Club. Has decent buffet breakfast,not the best I have had but decent and clean, again much cleaner than other buffets,no drippings of food around or dirty serve ware, someone seems to be constantly tidying it up. Made waffles the kids liked a lot. The hotel is in a quieter area compared to downtown hotels I have been to, and I preferred this area.Was convenient to get to everything, I highly recommend.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a wonderful place to Stay when visiting Philly. The location is ideal, next to the universities and a short drive to the art museum and downtown. The rooms are comfortable and very upscale. Continental breakfast in the lovely dining room was delightful. We have stayed there twice and will look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
mexico city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here, so my daughter coulld go to the UPenn tour, definitely a great hotel, the staff is very helpful, they always have a big smile. The rooms are not very large but they are very comfortable. The breakfast price is good. We enjoyed our visit to Philadelphia even more thanks to them

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
High Wycombe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Used my Hilton honours points to stay here for the night on a road trip up the east coast. Valet parking was slick, as was check in, as was the suite we were upgraded to.

This place, while disappointing that there is no bar, is an excellent place to stay. They even give you an iPad for you to use, letting sort out when you want to pick you car up check your bill etc etc.

Impressed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
nbarag, Director of Sales at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hello and thank you for your thoughtful comments on the Inn at Penn, A hilton Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed yourself however disappointed that we didn't let you know about our two bars. One bar is on the lobby level in the Living Room and it is open in the evening. Our other bar is on the lower lobby level in Penne Restaurant and Wine Bar. We offer specialty cocktails and an extensive wine list hand picked by our very own Master Sommelier. We do hope you will come back again very soon. We thank you for being our guest! Best, Nancy Barag
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at Penn for a quick weekend getaway. We traveled in late summer, so prices in Philly were still relatively high. We found that this hotel was a good value for the money.

Location: Adjacent to the campuses of UPenn and Drexel. This is a lovely area with many restaurants and bars nearby. It only takes a few minutes to drive into downtown Philly, depending on traffic. We loved this area of the city.

Parking: Hotel offers valet parking, for a price you would expect of a big city. Service was prompt and the attendants were customer focused.

Check-in: Routine check-in. The front desk staff could have been more polished. I remember having to speak to them first during check-in. However the check-in was seamless and since we only stayed one night, this was fine.

Accommodations: The room was nice. Everything seemed clean and the decor was updated. The only downside of our room was the lack of view. I believe we overlooked the roof of the adjacent building. It was cool that the room came with an iPad that allowed you to search the web and order services.

Food: We tried the breakfast buffet on Sunday. It left much to be desired. Its certainly not worth more than $10-$15 at most.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Inn at Penn is a Hilton property located literally across the street from the main University of Pennsylvania campus. With that location comes a variety of nearby eateries, shops, and cultural venues. I actually stayed the night "Super Storm Sandy" hit the area. There must be super soundproof windows as I heard nothing..no wind, no rain, no storm noise. I realized a full hurricane storm was raging only if I looked out the window. The employees are cordial, efficient and the room was comfortable with modern furnishings, including an in room iPad to use to keep up with email and other internet business. Like many newer hotels I only wish the window could have opened just a bit as I always miss fresh air in many sealed hotel rooms. I would recommend this hotel and stay there again as its location and ambience was quite a find in the middle of a large urban area.

Room Tip: I was on the fourth floor and could hear no traffic even though my room did face a busy street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This Hilton-run hotel is on the Penn campus and very close to Drexel. Local bus and subway line stops with rapid connection to center city are minutes away, making this a convenient place to stay if you need to get to center city Philadelphia. The rooms are spacious, recently updated, very nicely decorated and very quiet. Penne restaurant, the hotel restaurant, has very good Italian food at reasonable prices. Public spaces are superb, including a library lounge. The staff are very accommodating. A wide variety of cafes and restaurants are within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the street side might be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Inn at Penn? Share your experiences!