“What a luxurious experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Inn at Penn

You added Hilton Inn at Penn to your Saves list
Hilton Inn at Penn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (University City)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
BREAKFAST INCLUDED!
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brookline, Massachusetts
“What a luxurious experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Stayed at the Hilton Inn at Penn for the annual meeting of my professional organization that was being held at Penn. It was an easy walk from University City train station (from the airport) and equally easy getting to the subway station.

The hotel had just been renovated, and work crews were still putting on the finishing touches on some of the public floor. As a HiltonHonors member, got upgraded to a junior suite in a corner of the building. What beautiful accommodations with a nice (but distant) view of the city.

Interior decor in the public areas was impressive - lots of artwork and sculpture that was not only tasteful but also educational! Our suite had a photo of a crew shell that meant a lot to us since my husband and I met while on a college crew team. The bathroom was spacious and nicely appointed. There were two large flat-screen TVs - one in the living/dining room and another in the bedroom. The bed was so comfortable and so high up that I practically had to jump to get into it, and closets were large with plenty of hangers. As with any renovated space, there were a few little glitches: the outlets on the sides of the bureaus weren't powered; the outlet panel on the wall above the desk wasn't screwed in tightly so it pushed into the wall when used. After a workout on the new Precor equipment in the fitness center the next morning, enjoyed a wonderful breakfast buffet in the University Club (another HHonors perk), and loved the comfy touch of warm apple cider available in the lobby. (Unfortunately, neither the cup holder nor the top for the cup fit.) Also, didn't like that we had to pay to use the computer in the business center - haven't run into that in any other Hilton hotel where I've stayed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

This hotel is perfect in so many ways----it has a boutique, special personality but yet has all of the amenties, if not more, of a large hotel .
ROOMS: Spectacular! The rooms are all freshly renovated and they have been re-done from top to bottom!! Beds are super comfy, chaise or sofa in each room (we had 1 king and 2 double/doubles for our family), very good lighting, like that there is a fridge in each room and it is empty so you can use it without having to unload and re-load mini bar stuff. Safe in each room ,too.
STAFF: Everyone who works here must really love it there bc they are all so nice! Very attentive from the front desk to the valet parkers and everyone in between.
BATHROOMS: are beautiful, spacious drawer so your stuff doesn't clutter counter, really cool mirror that is backlit and doubles as a nite lite
LOCATION: Perfectly situated on Penn's campus but also near Drexel, Children's Hospital of PA, Univ of PA Hospital and only a short walk or bus/train ride from the Phily business and cultural district. Just a few bocks from my favorite place to hear music, World Cafe Live, and ATTACHED to the best bookstore ever--Univ of PA Bookstore.
FOOD: I usually stay far away from hotel restaurants but this one (Penne), is really delish...Five of us ate here and all loved our meal. They are known for their pasta and have a pasta table where you can sometimes watch them making it. The sweet potato gnocchi was amazing! And a great wine list, too. There are also some fantastic places to eat within a few blocks--White Dog Cafe, Distrito, and Marigold to name a few.
If you are looking for a special hotel experience in a wonderful, vibrant neighborhood, look no further! We hear they are adding Ipads to each room as part of the recent renovation so we are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

There must have been a renovation. Everything seemed new. I stayed here a few years ago and don't remember it being as nice. I would definitely go back. It is nice and close to the train station.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

I chose this hotel solely on location. I needed to be near CHOP for my grandson's surgery, and I did not want to rent a car. Even in 20 degree weather, the walk from the hotel to CHOP was fine. The staff was outstanding. I would stay here again if I needed to be near CHOP. Pricey but the location was key.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
nbarag, Director of Sales at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
On behalf of the staff of the Inn at Penn, I would like to thank you for taking time to write your comments about the Inn at Penn. We hope you will have an occasion to make a return visit to Philly and stay with us again... just for fun! While we are a great location for CHOP, we are also walking distance to Center City or a quick bus/trolly ride if you aren't in the mood to walk. We are in the midst of a complete guestroom renovation and are very excited about our new product. Completion is scheduled for early March. Looking forward to seeing you again very soon!
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We happened upon this hotel by accident because we had a medical emergency while changing trains in Philadelphia. Our patient was taken from the train by ambulance to U Penn Hospital. We wanted to be nearby and found this hotel on the internet on our phone. They could not have been more accomodating starting from the time we checked in. When they found out about the reason for our stay they gave us a special hotel rate. We had Thanksgiving dinner in the hotel dining room and the food was excellent. It was surprising how many other diners were in there on that holiday night. The next morning we had breakfast in the regular dining room and once again, service was perfect and the food very good. The hotel could use an update on the furnishings but the staff more than made up for that. At every turn they were helpful - even giving us shortcuts on our many walks over to the hospital.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
gmgreg, Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Thanks so much for your kind comments about our staff and your dining experiences. We take great pride in our people and our food and beverage services. You'll also be pleased to know that we have a multimillion dollar renovation underway right now. Our new custom furnishings arrive in a few weeks and delivery of our amazing new rooms will begin in early January. We look forward to impressing you even more on your next stay. Greg Stafford, General Manager
Northborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

The Inn at Penn was a very nice business quality hotel. The location was ideal with lots of nightlife and activity and it was easily accessible by mass transit. (Close to 30th Street station and SEPTA trolley service.)

The service at check in was outstanding but the attitude of the staff at checkout left something to be desired. They charge $12.95 PER DEVICE!!!! for internet service which I find to be ridiculous. The bill left under my door also showed $42 in minibar charges, since I checked in after 9pm, didn't leave the room until checking out at 6:30am this was absurd. Only two possibilities 1) someone came in and did an incorrect reconciliation while I was sleeping or they made a mistake. When I explained the issue to the woman at checkout she replied that maybe I had put my own items into the refrigerator. I'm not sure what that means and she wasn't listening. She was also very rude.

Overall however I'd recommend the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
gmgreg, General Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
I appreciate your comments on the facilities at the Inn at Penn. You'll be particularly pleased with our multi-million dollar guest room renovation underway now. The first of our spectacular new rooms, featuring many state-of-the-art sustainability and technology features, including I-Pads in every room equipped with Intelity/ Interactive Customer Experience software will be completed in early January. As is the case with other first class hotels in Philadelphia we do charge for HSIA service, although we continue to evaluate that. I have spoken with our Front Office Manager regarding your check out experience. I apologize for that and be assured we will conduct additional training with our agents. Our minibars are equipped with infrared scanners that automatically charge for items removed from the units. We have found that these cause irritation to some customers, so they are being removed and replaced with refrigerators. Beginning in January, we will stock refrigerators with items specifically ordered by our guests. I trust that we adjusted the erroneous charges from your bill at check out. If not please let me know and I'll happily handle that for you.

Greg Stafford, General Manager
new york city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

This is a little better than your run of the mill Hilton hotel and the best of the hotels on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. Location is the key here. Near to the university and all of the college town amenities that provides. The rooms are ordinary with nice beds and comfortable furniture. The baths are in need of renovation. In all, a nice place to stay but far from Philadelphia's best.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
gmgreg, General Manager at Hilton Inn at Penn, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
We appreciate your kind words about our excellent location and friendly service. Regarding your comments about hotel, I think you will be pleased to know that we are embarking on a multi-million dollar renovation of all of our guestrooms beginning mid-November. This will include all the bathrooms and guest corridors. We will be removing the bathtubs in our king bedded rooms and replacing them with glass enclosed stall showers. The renovations should be complete by the end of March. I hope you will visit us again after that and I assure that you will be very pleased. Thank you, Greg Stafford

Been to Hilton Inn at Penn? Share your experiences!