“LIked the hotel, didn't like the Valet parking” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #25 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Houston, Texas
“LIked the hotel, didn't like the Valet parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Hotel front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Room was normal Hampton Inn, although one of our beds, was lopsided and Air Conditioning was very tempermental and temperature all night was not very comfortable. Breakfast was very good and breakfast room was large, but they could add a couple more trashcans. Only real complaint about hotel was Valet Parking takes about 20-25 minutes to bring your car. If you try to call ahead, the number on the valet ticket that they give you is the toll free number for Hampton Inns. It should be the number for the Valet staff or at at a minimum, the front desk.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We stayed here for five days. It's very easy to dismiss this hotel because somne would consider the location sketchy.Indeed, I wouldn't want my wife wandering around at night. But it's right downtown, with bustling downtown on one side and run down on the other. Walkable to dozens of restaurants, Chinatown, Reading Termi al, City Hall. A long walk to Independence Hall area. Museums close but a long walk. Hotlel im/out parking $23.
Typical Hampton Inn breakfasts; inice staff, ndoor pool. I'll be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lake City, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Great spot in Philadelphia. The entire staff was friendly & helpful. We were greeted by everyone who worked there. The breakfast was a pleasant SHOCK. Eggs, meat, fruit bowl & fruit, juices, waffle maker, asst breads, teas, coffee. A little different every day. We just spent a week there for a convention & site seeing through 7/4. About a 15 minute walk to the Liberty Bell. About 20 minutes to the Art Museum. About 5 minutes to the convention center & Reading Terminal-a GREAT food court, where my daughter ate pretzel dogs 3 days & we bought fantastic butterscotch peanut butter. 5 minutes to Chinatown & the best Dim Sum cafe. 7 minutes to Macy's & the huge pipe organ performances. You do have to walk past a halfway house for men, but they were fine.
I would stay there again if I go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

The hotel was VERY clean - the beds VERY confortable - FREE breakfast with lots of choices. The staff was very nice and friendly. The hotel is close to everything . We felt perfecty safe walking around - never had any problems. LOTS of people (especially women) walk around ALONE with NO PROBLEM whatsoever. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE - WE WOULD GO BACK HERE AGAIN!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have agree with some of the other reviewers-this hotel is located in quite a scary area. In terms of proximity to Philadelphia's downtown area and attractions, the location is great. However, we did not feel safe around here (outside of the hotel) even during the DAY, and at night we were even more uncomfortable. In fact, the combination of homeless people/gangbanger-thugs/and random man urinating on a wall near the hotel deterred me from venturing out to a nearby convenience store at around 9:30pm on a Saturday night. I actually turned around and went back to the hotel.

The hotel is very clean, our room was spacious and clean, the fitness center and pool area are nice, and the breakfasts were wonderful. My only complaint about the room was that the shower faucet and head were loose, but this did not have any effect on the quality of the shower. The bathtub filled up a little during the shower, but I can live with that. Our view (7th floor) was that of a parking lot and run-down buildings.

While my wife and I would recommend this hotel because of it's exceptional staff, cleanliness, and amenities, we do not plan to ever stay here again if we are in Philadelphia because of the not-so-safe location. Then again, we don't really plan to ever visit Philadelphia again because of it's "not-so-safe" areas that seem to take up most of the city.

Overall Summary: YES to Hampton Inn, NO to Philadelphia

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Ham Lake, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I have stayed at numerous Hampton's and I didn't think twice about booking at this Hampton. In hindsight, I should have done some research prior to booking. I would say my number one complaint was the location. As younger ladies, we didn't feel comfortable with the area, and definately not walking home at night. I don't know if that will change once the Convention center is done or not. That said, I thought the pool and whirpool were nice and I liked the free wi-fi along with the internet kiosks downstairs. The free breakfast was nice as well. I was slightly disappointed by the furnishings, the nicks in the furniture are understandable, however the visable lumps in the comforters had us questioning ourselves. Also, the hotel doesn't recomend leaving valuables in the rooms. I brought my laptop down to the front desk to put it in their secured storage. Their secured storage wasn't large enough for a laptop, so the front desk staff recomended that I check it with the concierge. After waiting for the concirge 15 minutes, I gave up and decided to bring my backpack with. All in all, we cut our visit short and moving to a hotel we felt a little safer in, and that was closer to the historic sites.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Holliston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

We pulled up to the hotel and immediately knew we were not in a good neighborhood. The construction of the convention center did not help, but then the business immediately across from the main entrance of the hotel was closed and boarded up. My husband was on a business trip and I usually go out on my own. It is a several block walk to get anywhere. You go up one street and then under the convention center. It is not really a long walk, but there are men hanging out everywhere. We saw one passed out on a step to an apartment building. There seems to be a food kitchen or something here. Lots of people walking the streets alone talking to themselves. I didn't have any problems, but definitely did not feel safe. The last time, I walked all the way around the convention center and came back to the hotel that way. The hotel itself was very nice and the staff were great. All the housekeepers even spoke English and were so pleasant and always said hello. I am afraid that because of the location, I would not recommend the hotel. This may change after the construction of the convention center is done, but I am not sure. It is a great hotel, and I guess it depends on why you are going and if you would be walking, etc.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center? Share your experiences!