“Decent stay - Average to above average” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Decent stay - Average to above average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

I recently stayed at this Hampton Inn for 2 nights for a wedding I was attending. My boyfriend is a Hilton Gold member and we used points to book the stay.

The wedding was about 8 blocks away down Race street, so the location was great. Also, I explored the city during the day and was able to walk to several tourist attractions and shopping and eating places. Great location!

My main complaint about the hotel was that a fire alarm went off on Saturday morning, and continued to go on and off for about 15 minutes. This was followed by an announcment from the front desk staff that the alarm was pulled and no evacuation was needed, but not before I had already called the front desk to ask what was going on.

Also, the walls are thinner than most Hampton Inns, and the doors make loud noises when the shut. I heard people coming in and out and talking through the hallway most of the evening.

I used the gym and indoor pool, and enjoyed both! Small selection of fitness equipment, but all new and in good shape. Nice size pool and hot tub. Great perks!

I was shocked that breakfast was not included, as that is usually a standard commodity at the Hampton Inn. Also shocked at the expensive parking option ($23 per night, no in and out priviledge).

All in all, an average to above average option for downtown Philly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
jgrassi, Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
The Hampton Inn Philadelphia offers a hot breakfast buffet every morning to its guests. This is a brand standard at all Hampton Inn's. Our parking rates are 10 to 15 dollars less than our competitors. At Hampton we strive to provide the best possible experience at the best possible cost for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Easy to access to all Philadelphia attractions by walk, simple and clean, didn't need more

• Stayed May 2009
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

We stayed here while accompanying my husband on a business trip. Location-wise, the hotel is just a short walk from the convention center and the yummy restaurants at Reading Terminal Market. Also a 10-minute walk to the Phlash Trolley, which takes you all over town. The only downside to the location is its proximity to a homeless men's shelter about 1/2 block away. We never felt unsafe, but there were always a number of men hanging around outside the building. Also there's construction going on in the area. Our room on the 6th floor was fairly quiet, but occasionally we were awakened by typical city street noise in the early morning hours.

The service at the hotel was particularly good. Whenever we called down to the front desk about a matter, they promptly addressed it. The rooms were clean & comfortable. Breakfast was OK... more variety than some hotels but not top-notch cuisine by any means. We'd stay there again if we were on business at the convention center. There's a monitored parking lot for $20/day just up the block from the hotel.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

We were on holiday and booked in 16 May, out 18 May 2009. We found the hotel clean and appreciated the breakfast thrown in as part of the tariff - we thjought the breakfast selection was very good. Also a good location for us as we had arrived by train and we could walk to the hotel and also a subway was very close by to get around. The Reception (front desk) staff were lovely and friendly. We had tried to use the free internet around 11pm that nite. Out of the 3 terminals available only 1 would work. We spoke to Reception who tried to rectify the problem but couldn't- they kindly allowed us to use the terminal at the concierge desk. This was around 11.30pm. Witihn a few minutes a rather angry man told me I was not allowed to use this terminal as it was 'his'- he had no identifcation and did not attempt to identify himself- I explained that the front desk had OK'd it because the terminals in the business centre were not working. He ignored this and said he would tell the front desk this was not allowed and i had to log out straight away because he 'was losing money'- he was extremely rude- we had no idea who he was. I told him I was a guest and not to speak to me in that way but this made no difference to his attitude. My sister was present through all this and complained to the front desk but the lady did not state what could be done. This rude individual when finished on the terminal I had to vacate said I could then use the terminal again but I didn't as I did not want to be anywhere near him. He made no attempt to apologise for his appalling behaviour. The next morning we spoke to Reception and explained what had happened. We were advised this man was their security guard, should have had identification and needed to log on to show he was at work. The guard had given Reception his side of the story which by the reaction it differed from ours. The guard was obviously late to work hence the reference to 'losing money'. Reception said to us we were guests and the guard was in the wrong for speaking to us the way he did and apologised to us for the bad experience. I hope this security guard is not allowed anywhere near guests in the future

• Stayed May 2009
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We couldn't even get to the hotel at first because the street it was on was blocked by police officers because of cranes being used for the convention center near the hotel. We had to keep circling around the block, then ended backing up a one-way street to get to the parking lot! It's too bad that all that construction was going on because it wouldn't have been an awful location otherwise; but apparently, the construction will be for a couple of years. The woman at the front desk was very helpful, but the concierge had no idea where the Italian Market was, and it's not as if it's some obscure place -- it's a well-known attraction in Philadelphia. We ended up going back to our room and using the Wi-Fi to find directions to the Italian Market online. The hotel self-parking ($20) was in an outdoor lot down the street, maintained by Patriot Parking. The hotel is located near Chinatown but not all that close to the historical sites. We did walk to Independence Hall from there. There was a small indoor pool/spa that was nice. The breakfast buffet was not great -- the hot choice was scrambled eggs. It was nice to have access to coffee/tea/hot chocolate all the time, though. Nice touch there.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I traveled to Philadelphia for 3 days with my wife in mid April, 2009. We selected the Hampton Inn for its cost and favorable reviews on this and other websites.

First and foremost we had extremely positive interactions with all hotel employees. The room had no crazy frills but functioned as it should and was clean. As some have said, the beds were quite comfortable. Fairly decent pool and weight room. Vending in basement.

Very nice breakfast which seemed to be replenished frequently. The "hot" items are nothing to write home about. The only complaint is that as stated here, there is limited room and you kind of have to hover for a seat.

The only other negatives... Pool room VERY "boomy" and loud when children are running around, screaming, and being children :) Also, for some reason I never received a morning paper, even though others in our hall did. I simply grabbed one down by the main desk.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedford, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from Philadelphia yesterday and are disgusted. Sunday morning, I woke up with bites on my back, arms, and right below my left eyebrow. I thought that it was a spider but started to think differently when my boyfriend woke up the next morning with bites on his body. My mother and boyfriends both told us that there was a story on the news about how there is an infestation problem right now with bedbugs on the East Coast.

The staff was friendly but a little incompetent or lazy (not sure which one). If it wasn't for the bed bugs, I wouldn't have minded staying here at all.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
jgrassi, manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2009
The Hampton Inn Philadelphia has never had a bedbug issue and was never notified by this guest that there was an alleged incident. Our rooms as well as the public area are treated weekly by a reputable pest control company as a preventive maintenance measure for all insects/rodents. As you can see by previous reviewers, our hotel prides itself on clean rooms, professional service and comfortable surroundings. The Hampton Inn was never told of this incident and never was able to inspect the alleged room or witness bites on the guest.

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center? Share your experiences!