“Recommend staying elsewhere” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Recommend staying elsewhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights while in route to my next destination. Having stayed at 3 hotels in Philly in the past 2 months, I was pretty disappointed in this place. Yes, they are all expensive, but for the price of what you are paying to stay near the city center of Philly, spring about $20-30 more a night to stay at a nicer place in a better location. The Hampton Inn is near the convention center, but its on the backside of the convention center on the "not so nice" side.

I was in the middle of a 2 week trip, so used the laundry facilities downstairs. There is 1 washer and 1 dryer. There was a note that if laundry detergent was needed, to go to the front desk. I went up, and they didn't have any. They sent an employee across the street to a small convenience store to get some, and then he forgot to get quarters as I had requested. So, I went over to the convenience store myself. The front desk staff wasn't the most pleasant (ok, slightly lazy) and when I checked in, the employee at the front was just in her socks and no shoes. What!?!

I stayed here the same time as the other poster with the fire alarm incident. The hotel staff told us to go back in after about 20 minutes before the fire department even showed up. yeah,...not sure I want to stay in a large hotel that takes the fire department over 20 minutes to show up...

Also, the guests that stay here seems to be a little more in "party mode" than some of the other local hotels. There was vomit in the elevator, and a lot of young adults/teenagers around. If you are older, and are looking for quiet, this isn't the place for you. I could even hear my neighbor blasting their alarm radio (before the fire alarm went off) at 11pm at night.

Honestly, spring a bit more to stay at the Loews, Marriott or another hotel on the other side of the convention center. Its easier to get a cab, safer neighborhood and a higher caliber of hotel staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
roger_weber, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. We appreciate the feedback about the laundry, surroundings, fire alarm, and groups. I apologize the stay could not of been better for you. We pride ourselves on better service than what you received. The hotel is constanting improving. We just installed the suite shop in the lobby and will have a liquor bar with in the next 2-3 months. Also out internet will get an upgrade by the end of the summer.
Thank you for being our guest.
Roger Weber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
N ew Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

We have stayed at this particular Hampton Inn several times since our daugther attends a nearby college. We choose Hampton Inn hotels often because of the more moderate price that is usually offered, the cleanliness of the hotels, and the breakfast that is included. Philly hotels are not inexpensive so I guess this hotel is not pricey in comparison but fortunately they did have some special offers which can make the price more reasonable. We were very happy we stayed here again. The place was extremely clean, and very comfortable for our one night stay. The breakfast works out very well when you want to be able to eat something decent and get on your way. The staff were excellent and always offered to help with anything needed. Even the General Manager was on site at breakfast making sure everything went smoothly and was helping to keep the tables clean on a very busy morning. It was a quick stay to move our daughter out of her dorm so we did not explore the area on this trip. The parking lot nearest the hotel is expensive at 25.00 dollars a night so we were very happy to find another lot about a 5 minute walk away that only charged 5.00 for the weekend (at Philadelphia Gateway Parking at 15th street and Vine).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Hampton Inn Philadelphia. We appreciate the feedback and the associates will be very pleased with your comments concerning the cleanliness and service. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

It was Ok for just a night, but someone had burned a candle and the fire alarm went off at 12:30 am. The whole hotel had to evacuate on to a Sketchy Race Street, which was loaded with all types of hoodlums... It took about 45 mins to an hour for us to get back to our rooms, which means we got NO SLEEP.

The hotel must have just converted to a non smoking hotel, because my room definitely smelled like an old smoking room. These hotels should refurbish everything if its going to convert a smoking room to an non smoking room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Livingston, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This hotel was fine (room and free breakfast buffet adequate) but not in the best neighborhood. It was on the outskirts of the city center. Even the hotel manager told us not to walk down Race St. but walk toward the center of the city and then walk to the Constitution Center and Liberty Bell. The parking situation is not ideal either. Both self parking and valet use a third-party vendor in an outdoor lot down the block.

Room Tip: Quiet hotel - our room was on a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the comments, we appreciate the feedback. I understand your comments about the parking. We certainly try our best to make it as seamless as possible for the guests. Yes you are correct about the directions we send the guests. We try to send them under the convention center to most of the attractions, its a much more attractive way to go.
Thank you very much for staying with us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed at this Hampton Inn during Memorial Day weekend for a work-related trip and had a great stay! Before I go into details, I must warn you that we are all young singles who love to party and I graduated from college IN philly SOOO i know what to expect from the city......

There was four of us (3 rooms booked with 2 people sharing a room). When I had booked the trip I had requested that we could have the rooms next to each other. Was told that it wasn't gauranteed but that was okay with me. When we arrived, I found out that my room, which was supposed to be a king bed, was overbooked so they gave me a double bedroom. This was fine by me. You can't have it all. As long as I had my room to myself, that was all I needed. My room was placed next to my 2 co-workers who were sharing a room AND we had conjoining rooms which was pretty cool! The other room was on another floor, but again, not a problem. That is the only slight problem, or i shall change, there was to my stay there.

Okay here are some important key points:

-the beds are comfortable
-clean bathroom
-plenty of towels!
-conveniently located 2 blocks from market street, the interstate, wawa, and 7-11
-CONTINENTIAL breakfast!! not the best food BUTTT perfect for hangovers!
-view isnt the best (well at least mine wasn't) but its philly so its expected
-NICE staff
-secured parking for $25 a night

I read a few reviews of people complaining that there were homeless/shady people peeing on the wall of the building or some ish like that and well I didn't see any of that. I saw shady people by the Travelodge which is like a block away but not by this hotel. Plus, its Philly! Sadly, there's homeless people on every corner. And yes, I would rather not see that kind of stuff outside my hotel so I understand the complaints.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the room was nice and clean, the free breakfast was good, and it was convenient walking distance to Reading Terminal Market. I really felt that the staff went above and beyond for us - they even brought crackers and bottled water up to the room as a snack for our two year old. The pool and workout center were clean and met our needs. We tried to be cheap about the parking and use a local lot, but in the end, we decided we really wanted the in/out privileges that the hotel parking offered.
The location is convenient to attractions, and near a subway, but definitely not for everyone. It was on the border of a more industrial neighborhood with several nightclubs. This didn't bother us - during the day, the area was fine, and that is mostly when we went out, plus we are from a major city ourselves. I could see some people being put off by it. If you are someone who is reasonably laid back about that sort of thing, this could be a great hotel at a reasonable price for you.
The one thing that would have made this hotel even better for us would have been mini-fridges in the rooms to store my son's milk and juice.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Reno, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Great location - very good breakfast, good selection - nice service. Restaurants in walking distance. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center? Share your experiences!