“Outstanding Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

My daughters wedding in June was perfected at the Westin in Philadelphia. Attention was paid to every detail. The whole staff seemed to be on full alert for our wedding the whole weekend. The reception was like none other. I never saw any of my guest wait for anything. From hor’dereves to dessert the food was 5 stars. How do they do it for 200 people all at once? The chef is amazing!! And Stewart , directory of catering, was with me all the way through it and beyond with my daughter and son in law going back to the Westin after their honeymoon for one last fairytale night. An outstanding wedding venue with beautiful imported chandeliers, sculpted ceilings and the hotel with its urban chic décor please all points of view.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

My friends and I (2 guys, 3 girls) recently visited Philly for the long 4th of July weekend. We booked 3 rooms at the Westin on Expedia.com for a really fantastic rate. Immediately upon our arrival, we were treated really well by the hotel - Ryan at the Front Desk (who is adorable and hilarious) offered to find us rooms that might adjoin each other and he found 3 rooms on the highest floor (three exactly next to each other with two that joined), DESPITE 3 weddings on the long holiday weekend, our expedia.com booking, our relatively low- to non-existent Starwood status, and the rate that we were paying. We really didn't expect the amazing service that we were provided. In fact, it was by far the BEST Front Desk experience I've ever had (and not just limited to Ryan; I also want to do a shout-out to Karim and everyone else whose name I wasn't able to recall (and this is after staying at the 5 star places)). The hotel amenities were nice and comfortable, and the bed really is heavenly. The soap/shampoo/lotion stuff is a nice, gender-neutral scent - I only wish the shampoo bottles were a bit bigger or that they got replaced more often. Because we had the benefit of comparing the three rooms, it was funny to see that the alarm clocks were a little different, the placement of one of the desks in one of the rooms was different, and even the mini-bar stocking differed very slightly. I had an empty spot/missing container on one of my mini-bar trays when I checked in but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't get charged for it even though room service filled the spot the next day (I guess those sensors really do work for the good....occasionally!). Btw, the mini-bar options are very reasonably priced for a hotel. Although this hotel is a 4 star hotel, there are a few shortcuts it has taken to process so many people that come through (definitely a larger business hotel) - for instance, instead of real glasses in the bathrooms and the minibar, the bathrooms only have sealed plastic cups and there are two real glasses and two real wineglasses in the minibar area. Also, the hotel guidebook gives you an EXTENSIVE list of things that the hotel can provide for free or let you borrow (never knew that hotels had diaper warmers, running strollers, contact lens solution, etc.) - but they do not bother putting the true 4 star things in the room itself (in my mind that includes shower gel, Q-tips, and cotton balls, but could and perhaps should expand to the shoe mitt, shower cap, sewing kit, and mouthwash - unnecessary most of the time and probably a huge wasted cost but always a nice gesture). I would definitely come back here for the price that we were offered (instead of staying at the similarly ranked, but pricier options) - the hotel is clean, comfortable, spacious, well-decorated, and we really lucked out with the friendly service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

For a year and a half my friend worked with the Hotel's Stuart Nehon, what a guy! He made sure that not only the Bride & Groom and families were comfortable but also made sure that all 200 guests had a beautiful experience. He took care of any changes or problems with a smoothness rarely seen today. Want lights on all the tables in the reception? Done, The meal was delicious. Awesome appetizers, lamb chops, hot dogs, spring rolls etc. Fresh Salad, Very tender Steak, Desert table with Banana's Foster etc. I had a problem with my tux and in seconds he came up with a solution. Cancellations, changes he was there for the parents. The Hotel lobby people were very efficient and remembered my name. Check out done from the room easily. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Union City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

We just returned from a wonderful one-night at the Philadelphia Westin. It was absolutely wonderful. The building had the charm of old Philadelphia, but all the amenities of a great starwood hotel. Being Starwood members, we were immediately upgraded to a wonderful suite. The room was clean and the service wonderful. The valet parking at $45 is definitely expensive but there are other options around available. Location is great - right near Rittenhouse Square. It is about a mile walk to the historic sites, but there is also cabs available. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

First the property: well situated and very Westin-ish, catering to a business crowd, I suspect. The entrance somewhat confusing given Philadelphia's love of one way streets, but once in, the reception pleasant. An elevator takes you to the lobby (the hotel is atop of a small shopping center). The reception quick and efficient. The room was typical Westin, smallish with a bed dominant. New 42" plasma tv dominates the credenza. Our recent stay was marred by significant service issues. Upon arrival, no tissues or toilet paper. The restaurant on Saturday morning was not busy, yet we waited 10 minutes to be handed a menu and then waited 25 minutes for our breakfast, which never arrived, so we left. We revisited the restaurant on Sunday for breakfast. Service improved, but again a wait of 20 minutes for simple bacon and eggs (the food was good!). Getting back to our room Saturday evening, the room was cleaned, but no towels: not one! Another service oversight. While they did write an excellent letter of apology, our feeling is that the economic slowdown has forced them to cut service, and this is the result. Head's up: parking is $45.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Both check in and check out was a breeze and the hotel was spotless. The room with a king size bed was also spotless, large, and comfortable. The only downsides to this hotel are the limited choices on the buffet breakfast and the high cost of the parking but most hotels in major cities have high parking fees.

The hotel is located very close to Rittenhouse Square where there are lots of good restaurants, bars, and stores.

I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I decided to make a getaway 3 day weekend trip to Philly and looked on different web sites for discounts, not really caring where I ended up just so the room is clean, the bed is comfortable and it's in a good location for walking around. When the Westin popped up at a very good reduced rate on hotels.com I jumped on it: I used to work for Starwood so being very familar with the Westin Brand I knew what to expect. I repectfully disagree with anyone who says this is an average Westin. This was originally the St. Regis Philly and when they made it into the Westin they kept alot of the St. Regis touches and fixtures, which in my opinion kicks it up a notch. I love the added security of having a separate elevator to the lobby, then having to use your key to reach your floor. Check in was very friendly and smooth, the room was nicely appointed with flat screen TV, very large work desk, seating area with nice comfy chair and ottoman, The Westin Heavenly Bed is always a treat and the double headed showerhead of the heavenly bath is a great way to wake up every morning. A full marble bath with nice big sink and marble vanity was charming. Housekeeping can be summed up in one word: IMMACULATE. My room was spotless day after day. Room service was a step above the ordinary and pricey, but that's to be expected. They need to stop charging for internet is my only small complaint, other chains provide complimentary, don't know why they can't as well. I didn't use it, had my own. I will definitely stay here again when specials come up. Clean, quiet rooms, Heavenly bed and bath in a central location for dining, shopping and walking, not much more to ask for! Thanks Westin Philly!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!