“This hotel is all about friendliness and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #57 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glenolden, Pennsylvania
“This hotel is all about friendliness and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on May 9, 2015 for his birthday since we wanted to be near the restaurant where we had reservations at and not have to worry about having some cocktails and driving. We stayed for one night and we were each given complimentary cocktails for his birthday from the front desk. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice, as well as the concierge who was working that evening. I'm sorry I forgot their names but they were very nice and helpful. The concierge actually walked us to our destination to Two Liberty Place. She truly went above and beyond. We have been on cruise ships and all-inclusive resorts and have never experienced anything like this. The history of Philadelphia says it all on their fabric they used on their sitting chairs in the rooms. Such a nice touch. The location was perfect as we did some shopping on Walnut Street which was only two blocks away. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: It didn't really matter what the view was as we only slept in the room. The rest of the time we...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Rooms small. Dated. Room service food not great and not good. Robes are flimsy and amenities lacking. Unlikely to stay again. I didn't check out the gym but there was little desire to spend more time than I had to here.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The hotel is located in a central location near Rittenhouse square in Philadelphia, but there is nothing particularly impressive about the hotel. Particularly problematic is the lack of a good restaurant in the premises.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed for 2 nights with family (small children). I was surprised to see some other reviewers have less positive experiences with the service. the protest was going on, but i cant hold that against the hotel. In general, starwood is very inconsistent from hotel to hotel and also with central reservations. I have gold status, and in many cases, have been appalled with the service - not here!

pros: newly renovated room was very nice! bathroom was decent, although not exceptional. service was really exceptional. from the front desk man who checked us in, the speed at which our refrigerator was replaced by the engineer, the bellhop/valet guys, housekeeping staff... Had a minor mix up at the restaurant and the manager (i think) was very accommodating and gracious. good location.

cons: gym was kind of so so, and i usually want a nice gym to give the 5 star rating.
bathroom was nice, but didn't have the "wow" factor I like for a 5 star rating. Although my review is of the hotel, the brunch in the hotel restaurant (winthorpe and valentine - amazing name!) was ok, but a bit underwhelming. there were no kids channels on TV which caused some minor problems. didn't receive requested turn down service.

Overall - very nice, comfortable room. I like the updated lobby and thought the service, on almost all fronts was exceptional.

Room Tip: maybe avoid the 4th floor because the gym is on it.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Jamestown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I was there for work on a very busy part of their sporting calendar and the Westin could not have been better prepared and executed flawlessly. The staff was wonderful, the rooms were perfect, and the bar was a pleasant place to finish up the night, every night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
WestinPhGM, General Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Greg V.,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Philadelphia on TripAdvisor.com. It is wonderful to learn that you had yet another great experience.

Your loyalty to this hotel is incredibly valuable. Please let me know if I may ever be of assistance.

Ryan P. Sistare, CHA
The Westin Hotel Philadelphia Center City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

One reader said sleeping in your car would be better, I do not necessarily disagree. The Westin is just a step below the luxury St. Regis brand, but the staff at this hotel had not gotten that memo. Let's momentarily ignore that very loud labor dispute outside with the baby crying that was totally disruptive and let's talk about how from start to finish this experience was unacceptable. I began my travel day at 4 AM and had to meet a client a 8:30. I wanted to get to a room and change into my suit and freshen up, but unfortunately I had an issue using spg.com to put in my Your24 request, which I earned after 70/100 stays last year. I called the front desk about early checkin and was told there were plenty of rooms and despite my request for the agent to note my reservation he continued to tell me not to worry. When I arrived at 7 AM I was told by the most callous, indifferent, and inhospitable agent that only a handicap room was available and that checking was 3, which I tool to mean that he thought I was lucky to get a room. I disagree as I believe those rooms should be reserved for someone who might actually need one and because I abhor open showers that tend to spread water all over. I checked in because I needed to get ready but made it clear that I wanted to be moved. This totally disrupted my preparation for a meeting with an important client and a federal agency. The manager called to tell me that my room would be moved and I said I wanted to discuss my check in. He suggested we speak now and I said, I was behind in my schedule because of the ridiculous checkin. He did not follow up, but the front desk agent did send an email to apologize and to indicate that he had moved me to a suite. While I cannot tell if the apology was sincere or not, I will say I'm a Platinum - 100 (Ambassador level) and a suite is the rule and something that I have spent a lot of money to expect. What would have been more appropriate is a note with an amenity, followup from the manager when I returned, or any number of things. The stay continued to be awful all the way to the end. I was given a 4:00 PM checkout. From 9 AM - 4 PM, housekeeping knocked over and over again, despite a DND sign, and despite the fact that they should have been provided with a report, like every other Starwood hotel housekeeping department, indicating the late checkout. Unfortunately, I had not slept for 36 hours and at least wanted to sleep until 3. Clearly that was not possible and when I finally called Service Express to ask why they kept bothering me, I was transferred to the FD over and over and the phone just rang and rang. At 3:45, after housekeeping took to calling me and not answering when I picked up vs knocking, I finally spoke to a helpful Service Express rep (which is actually supposed to helpful and not just be a hotel operator) who told me housekeeping wanted to turn over the room for the next guest. The 4:00 checkout benefit is the most valuable to me and it was provided and I should not be disturbed while trying to enjoy it. Oh, by the way, I am a travel professional who was actually checking out the Westin for an upcoming event. Guess who will not be directing business to this Westin? With staff like this, there is no wonder that there is a labor dispute as I previously mentioned.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
WestinPhGM, General Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Yalebulldog,

Thank your for taking the time to share your Westin Philadelphia experience on TripAdvisor.com. It is evident from your posts and your SPG profile that you are very loyal to Starwood hotels and I would like to thank you for your business.

Overall, there is no doubt that we had opportunities during your most recent stay and I apologize that you did not get a proper night's sleep. As a travel professional, you actually booked under a special rate which negates your Platinum benefits. In the future, I recommend booking under a different method if you would like to earn points and maximize your benefits.

After reading your feedback, it is evident that the majority of your concerns are related to your Platinum level requests. As a frequent traveler, I am sure that you are aware that programs such as Your24, Late Checkout, Early Arrival, and Best Room available are based upon availability and not necessarily guaranteed. As a rule, we honor as many of these requests as possible. Although frustrating, we were not able to full fill your requests as the hotel was abnormally busy.

Also, thank you for comments regarding your guestroom phone. During our renovation earlier this year, we installed a number of new phones and we are still working out some minor glitches in the system.

Finally, please rest assured that the labor dispute is with a construction company and not with the Westin Philadelphia. We 100% support their first amendment rights, but also understand your concern.

If you would like to speak in person, please contact my office via the hotels main number.

Ryan P. Sistare, CHA
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We chose this hotel based on other reviewers' comments about location. It is easily within walking distance of Independence Mall and the historical sites. Also close to walk to restaurants in Rittenhouse square. The room was clean and perfectly nice- no complaints there. The staff was superlative. Overall, a little pricey, but what do you expect in the city.
One point- look for the PHLASH bus that goes up and down Market. For $2 you can ride one way or for $5 all day and it will take you to all the sites. I had originally planend to do the on off bus but was thrilled to find this efficient and inexpensive option..

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
WestinPhGM, General Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear ChrisMVSS,

Thank your for taking the time to review the Westin Philadelphia on TripAdvisor.com. It is always great to hear from a Top Contributor!!!

As your comments indicate, we strive to provide exceptional service to each and every guest.

Also, thank you for mentioning the PHLASH bus!! Please know that this is one of the best ways to get around town during the summer.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Ryan

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!