“The worst hotel experience ever! Stay away, stay very far away!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #55 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Watertown, Massachusetts
“The worst hotel experience ever! Stay away, stay very far away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have stayed at this hotel 3x over the years. Our check in process was awful - we were charged a no show even though I had called and changed my arrival date. Next our rooms were not ready to later in the day when we requested an early check in. The two rooms we had were still dirty upon check in. While I spoke at length about my dis-satisfaction to Diana (the gm's secretary), as well as the front desk manager and really anyone who would listen our issues were never resolved. It was the LONGEST 6 nights (with two rooms) of a stay I have ever had and if it were not for a city wide event with limited hotel rooms we would have moved. As a SPG member that meant absolutely nothing to the staff and while Diana did try to help the cheese plate was nice but my room was still dingy, the bathroom was mediocre and there were still water spots all over my sink. To say this hotel is dated is an understatement - I know the lobby and general spaces were updated but the hallway rugs were filthy - day and night they were filled with trash, french fries, alcohol. I will never stay at the Westin Philadelphia again. In fact the company I work for we host 200+ events a year with 40 or so in the Philly area - I shared my experience with our VP or Meeting Planning and the Westin was pulled from any RFP list. For over $400/night we should have had not only better treatment, but should have been treated to VIP service given our dirty room. In fact, my colleague has photos of the dust, hair in the bathroom and trash that was in her room upon check in. What a disgrace this hotel is to the Westin and Starwood brand.

Room Tip: Turn around and check out
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Rooms are decent size as is bathroom. Housekeeping service was great. Beds are very comfortable. Plenty of counter space in bathroom, shower head in bathroom is odd but water pressure is decent. No fridges in room but they are available for a charge. Entrance is odd as you enter on first floor take elevator to lobby to check in then catch another elevator to rooms. Keys use near field technology and key must be used on elevator to access guest rooms. Had one bad experience trying to reach concierge and leaving message with no response. I went to desk and it was clear concierge was not present but other staff were trying to fill in and were not successful or helpful. Overall staff was great and very friendly. There is a charge for wi fi. Many shops and restaurants are walkable from here.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was one of the worst experiences in a very long time. The hotel staff was extremely inflexible and insisted on the 6pm cancelation cut off despite my call being just 20 minutes late and my desire to stay at their sister property (Le Meridien). The room service was slow and the food arrived lukewarm. I asked the employee Karim, who was so inflexible to apologize, and I have yet to get one from him. I would never ever stay here based on my experience and this is how they treat a lifetime platinum!!!!

Stayed May 2015
Clarence, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We've stayed at this Westin property on three (3) occasions. It's location is excellent and very central. It is connected to a small indoor shopping mall.

On each occasion, we were upgraded to a suite due to our Platinum SPG status. Two of the suites had a full bathroom with a separate second powder room in the entryway. This second bathroom comes in very handy when traveling as a family. Each of the suites was very nicely appointed and well-kept. Toiletries, as is true of the entire chain, are quite lovely. The white tea fragrance is delicious! We have purchased these toiletries separately through Saks Fifth Avenue because we like the scent so much!

The lobby leaves a bit to be desired. Although it is beautiful in rich woodwork decor, one must take an elevator from the street entrance level and then a second separate bank of elevators to the room. This is a little unusual but not overly burdensome. During each of our stays, formal affairs were held in the second floor lobby area-nice to observe but having to plow through a room full of tuxedo and ball gown clad attendees, with luggage and children in tow, is a bit of poor planning.

Complimentary breakfast due to Platinum status was sufficient. The full breakfast menu is available but only upon asking the server, who seemed to be doing us a favor to offer it as such. The restaurant area is somewhat dark and not very welcoming.

All in all, this Starwood property is an excellent choice for a great Philadelphia trip!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Manhasset, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice choice for a hotel in the downtown area of Philadelphia in the heart of lots of good restaurants (Tinto a good one to try). Room was renovated and very comfortable. Staff was very friendly. Not a very hopping place in the evening to have a glass of wine though. Selection not very good either. Same area of the hotel that they have breakfast so a good place for a morning meal. (For a glass of wine around quitting time try the Sofitel - great selection and nice cheese platter - more activity for sure since it's right on a corner and you can people watch!) Got a great rate for a Friday night using HotelsTonite.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
WestinPhGM, General Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Be Well,

Ryan P Sistare, CHA
Yonkers, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My fiancé & I were spending 2 nights in Philly to visit family and we were delighted to get a groupon for a hotel that fit our needs/desires. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the modern look of this Westin Hotel. We were welcomed with a smile by all of the staff (at valet parking & desk). Our room was wonderful. It was clean & sleek with a nice view and a great new (and very large) flat screen tv. During some down time during our stay, we visited the bar area. Although the staff were lovely, they were overwhelmed at times and we often waited a long time for a drink...so I suggest you use the bar as a place to grab an afternoon drink when it's quiet!
My problem with my stay is that when I left my room on Saturday afternoon at 2pm, the housekeeping cart was outside our room. I removed our "do not disturb" sign and we left for the day. Upon returning to our room at 11:30pm, I was upset to see that our room had not been touched. I called the front desk to inform them that our room had not been serviced: not cleaned, nor was the mini bar re-stocked with our drinks that we liked. They apologized & gave my fiancé (who went to the desk to get clean towels) two bath towels since we had no clean towels. When my fiancé returned, I realized they did not give him washcloths. I called the desk and asked for washcloths. A staff member came to the door with 2 RAGS. Seriously- 2 pieces of cloth that were cut from what looked like a duvet cover, with black stitching on the edges!!!! I told the staff member that these rags were unacceptable and that I would not be using them on my face. He related that the hotel was at full capacity, that they didn't have washcloths & that I should speak to someone else because he was "just the valet".
When checking out, I informed the hotel manager of the situation. He, in turn, comped our drinks that we had taken from the mini bar on our first night's stay. Sadly, we would've consumed more if our bar had been re-stocked!!! All in all, I don't think comping 3 cans of beer makes up for a disappointing return to our room after a long day enjoying Philly. I'd rather stay in an airbnb room if I'm not going to get room service AND it would cost less!!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear sheiladnyc,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Philadelphia on TripAdvisor.com. It is great to learn that you found our newly renovated rooms to be spacious, clean and modern.

However, a couple of your comments are concerning and, if I may, address them individually.

When using a do not disturb sign past 11am, your room will not be accessed by Housekeeping or Minibar as these associates will be assigned other tasks. In the future, we recommend notifying the Front Desk that you have removed your sign so that we enter the guestroom and service it.

As it relates to the wash cloth situation, I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel. In speaking with our team, it is a training issue as the gentleman did not know where to find the proper supplies.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Philly.

Be Well,

Ryan P. Sistare, CHA
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for a family vacation while overlapping a business trip. The best feature by far of the hotel is how convenient it was to walk to sightseeing. Our children 12 and 7 years old and we walked to Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Franklin Institute, Mutter Museum, Natural History Museum at Drexel, Reading Terminal Market. These were all a mile or less, not convenient for people who can't walk 15-20 minutes but for us it was great. The layout of the hotel is strange, probably by virtue of being in the city. There is a small entrance and you then take one elevator up to the lobby and another one to get to the rooms. It is inconvenient to get to the parking because you have to go out a back entrance to the mall and then down the parking elevator and through various passageways. Our room had 2 double beds and everything worked. We asked for some extra things, more shampoo since there were 4 of us etc. and the service was prompt.

Green Features: The towel exchange was definitely environmentally-friendly.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear sypai68,

You are correct in that due to our Center City location, we actually have upper and lower lobbies. This is common in many of the buildings on the East Coast, possibly including your hometown of Boston.

In regards to the parking, we highly recommend that all guests use our Valet services as we do not operate the parking garage in the mall.

Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Philly.

At Your Service,

Ryan P. Sistare, CHA

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!