“The ultimate in disrespect - Be wary of the Westin Philadelphia” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston
“The ultimate in disrespect - Be wary of the Westin Philadelphia”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

I am a regular business traveler who has been a frequent guest at the Westin in Philadelphia. Although, I have been quite satisfied by my previous stays, my recent interaction with the hotel's management has been quite dissapointing.

During my last stay at the Westin I cancelled an upcoming reservation with the front desk and received a cancellation number. It turns out that the desk clerk forgot to cancel my reservation and the hotel charged me a full nights stay, $ 397 for a " no show" reservation. When I informed management that I had indeed cancelled and received a cancellation number, I was told that " This was inconseqential" and I would not be granted a refund. I was told that the even if the front desk clerk had made a mistake, it it was my responsiblity to make sure the hotel had followed through.

I was shocked that hotel managment responded inn this way. Mistakes happen, but to have the hotel, ( 1) refuse to take responsibilty, ( 2) blame the guest and ( 3) respond in such an arrogant manner is something that suprises my greatly. When spoke to Westin customer service, I was informed that this was an independetly owned hotel.Perhaps that explains it., but it certainly does not excuse it.

The beds may be very comfortable at the Westin Philadelphia, but thier attitude toward customers is frightening.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — Arrogant, unresponsive management
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Paid full rack rate for this hotel due to World Series. Was able to reserve a room through Hotels.com - hotel website was showing the property sold out. Room was ready for my early arrival, which was a nice surprise. I was put on the Starwood Preferred floor - not sure what the upgraded amenities were, although I did have one water bottle and a coffee maker. No soap for the shower, only bath gel (could have been an oversight). Room was clean and comfortable. Had drinks at their small bar, no table service. Had breakfast in their small restaurant - even though the room was redone in their make-over I don't particularly like it - a windowless affair. Had a bagel which I made myself from the buffet, which I thought was weird but OK. Valet expensive but fine. Only complaint was that before I left for the game I called and asked for turndown service - and was told fine, but didn't receive it. When I returned to the room after the game (3 am!) I called to voice my disappointment and they offered to send up fresh towels, but by then I was exhausted. Made due with the hand towels.

Stayed October 2008
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

My partner booked my birthday weekend at the Westin in Philadelphia, and the absolute best thing I can say about the hotel is that even with a cold and sore throat so bad that I would have otherwise been miserable, the hotel was so comfortable and lovely, I still had a great stay.

It's super dumb, but my favorite part was the free hot apple cider in the lobby. Especially with my sore throat and the cold February weather - it was really a nice touch.

• Liked — the bed was the best. I could take one of those mattresses and put it under a highway overpass and get a great night's sleep.
  • Disliked — the lobby is on the second floor, and while it's very nice, it's a little isolated from the city.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

Stayed overnight for some R&R with my spouse. Paid a total of $124 via Priceline. Room included king-size bed, full bath, 30-channel satellite TV on HDTV screen (but only one HD channel!), coffee-maker, phone, wide desk, and mini-fridge stocked with items.. Entire hotel is non-smoking. Wifi was available for a fee. Staff was professional and courteous.

Bed was quite luxurous. Location at 17th and Chestnut hard to beat. Lobby was designed in quiet elegance, There was no stairs (other than fire stairs with alarms) between our room, the lobby, and the entrance -- I had to take two elevators to go the two flights between our room and street level. Not really a problem, but just strange.

Elevator said that you had to use your electronic key to ride the elevator from the lobby, but that was not the case. Security seemed more than adequate, nevertheless.

• Liked — Luxurious bed
  • Disliked — No free wi-fi internet access
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dover, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

Stayed here with my family for a weekend away. Got a great price from priceline otherwise would not have stayed here because it is very pricey if you book it the traditional ways. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are a decent size. Overall a very nice location in phila for most restaurants but a bit far if you want to see the liberty bell and independence hall etc.. I found street parking for the whole weekend otherwise their garage is over $32/day. There is no pool which is a downside to the hotel if you are there for the weekend. All in all...would recommend the hotel but only if you get a deal on the price because it is not worth more than $200/night in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

I stayed at the Westin recently while in Philly for a friend's wedding and was very impressed overall and would stay here again without hesitation.

The location of the hotel is somewhat understated, 17th Street being somewhat of a secondary street. However, the hotel is one block off of Market Street (major E-W street), so getting around downtown is pretty easy. The valet and bell desks are at street level, with a short elevator trip up to the lobby reception. Check in was very easy and the lobby is very nicely appointed. Frequently saw people lounging and relaxing the chairs. Decor was very nice, with classic and understated finishes throughout the hotel and room.

My room was very nice overall and very clean. The bed was great, the shower amazing and the bathroom spacious. Closet space is a bit on the small side, however. The room was booked through HW, which may have had some influence in the room selection, which was a 4th floor room overlooking a lower level roof and no street views.

I didn't avail myself of any of the hotel services (bar, restaurant, etc.) but my room was just down the hall from the fitness room, which looked more than adequate from what I could see.

Overall, I would stay here again. The location is central to much of Center City Philadelphia and is close to transportation options. This is a very, very nice hotel.

• Liked — Very high-quality hotel overall
  • Disliked — No real complaints
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

Stayed here for a Girls' Night Out with some friends and LOVED it! The hotel itself is beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the bed was quite possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept it! Parking is a bit expensive, but it's convenient, and when we were checking out, they had the car ready before we even got out.

It's in a very nice area with lots of shopping and places to eat in walking distance. I hope we can get a room here the next time we're in Philly!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!