“Luxury All the Way” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #32 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Luxury All the Way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

WESTIN HOTEL CHICAGO
Luxury All the Way
Jean A. Vachon

Traveling South towards South Carolina, my wife and I drove along the East Coast. When we arrived in Philadelphia, the GPS brought us to center town.
We then decided to shop for a place to stay overnight just in case we found a bargain. The Westin at 17th Street at Liberty Place was such a bargain!
We got an excellent bargain that we couldn’t refuse...
At arrival time in early afternoon in mid October, we asked if the hotel had a room for two seniors and at what price. The young woman attendant answered that rooms were around 400$/night, but that she would let us have one at 199$+tax+36$ for parking for one night.
Furthermore, breakfast, a value of over 50$ was complimentary...
After looking around for a better deal, we came back and took the offer.
Happily, we did! The hotel in center town was rapidly accessible to all the interesting sites and bus tours.
Taking advantage of the sunny weather, we walked to Independence Center, and the old part of Philadelphia, as well as the Chinese quarter. Everything was fabulous! I even took what I thought was a historical video of public workers demonstrating protesting their layoff and shouting: “We want to work!” to the sound of metallic drums. The next day, Congress had voted their return to work and had finally put an end to this national ordeal!
After tasting the renowned steak and cheese sandwich and sharing an orange drink, we went back to our room.
The room itself was huge! All was perfect! The working desk was big and comfortable. Close to the bed was a nice lounging chair. The furniture was expensive and attractive. The internet access was free and really fast; the connection was direct wiring which is much efficient than wifi. All counters were quality granite. The bed was a king size one. And the view from the 14th floor was appalling.
Finally, the television was a high definition one with numerous channels, a factor contributing to the quality of our stay.
Security is high... You need your room card to activate the elevators. In the hallways, all is perfectly clean and luxurious. You can also serve yourself with free oranges and apples.
The bathroom is all marble and all towels and furnishings are quality products.
We slept well in the very comfortable bed.
Fully relaxed the following morning, we went to the dining room and ate a delicious breakfast with no limitations whatsoever.
And then we left for another destination thinking that there is nothing too good for the working class!
Once in a while, a treat such as the Westin is worthwhile and is truly luxury all the way!

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view on Philadelphia
Green Features: Everything was clean. Free fruits were available. Attention was given to attractive environment. Water and energy consciousness...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

780 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Westin Philadelphia was a wonderful setting for our magical wedding weekend in October, 2013. We are the parents of the groom, and Stewart, then Marion, were a pleasure to work with and they did a perfect job with our breakfast buffet Sunday morning. All our guests were so happy for us, and thought the buffet was delicious, and in a beautiful room. I may be biased, but thought it was the most beautiful wedding ever!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here for two days recently on a business trip. The staff were very accommodating. There is a nice bar, with a warm, clubby feel. They make a great drink too. The rooms were warm, clean, and well appointed. A nice work desk, with lots of space. Easy access to the power plugs. WEll appointed mini bar. A great in room coffee maker - better than a Starbucks. But most of all - the Bed!!! Wow it just couldn't be any more comfortable. Great pillows too. The shower head was magnificent too. Loved it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I arrived on the red-eye from Portland on Sunday morning and headed straight to the hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked solid the night before, so my room wasn't ready so early in the morning (which is fine, I wasn't expecting it to). I was pre-registered and allocated a room as soon as someone checked out/the room was cleaned, which was great; I was still able to check in to my room early -- which was great because I was exhausted.

The location is fantastic. It is only a couple of blocks from Suburban Station, so there's easy access to the SEPTA Subway lines, as well as the regional train to/from PHL Airport ($6.50 if you buy a ticket at the station or $8.00 on board, each way -- at PHL I couldn't find a place to purchase a ticket, so I had to purchase it on board -- one thing to note, ALL trains from PHL go to Center City, so you can hop on any of them). It's also within a 10-15 minute walk from Reading Terminal Market, a stone's throw from LOVE Park, and pretty much on top of the shopping district on Walnut and Chestnut Streets. It's also extremely close to the Philadelphia outpost of Luke's Lobster!

As for the hotel, itself, it is clean and well-appointed. You enter the hotel through the downstairs lobby and take a short elevator ride up to the Front Desk. From there, you have to take a separate elevator up to your room (secure key-card access only). The room was quite large (or at least, larger than I expected for being in the downtown area of a major metropolitan city). I was assigned a King Room on the 14th floor (SPG floor). It had all the standard amenities you'd expect from a business-focused hotel -- a large bed, a mini bar, a separate desk/workspace, a lounger and a separate closet. Because there is a mini-bar, there wasn't really space to store any leftovers you may have had from dinner or anything like that. You could probably ask for the mini-bar to be cleared out, but it was no big deal, as I was just there for a day. The large bathroom had a wonderful waterfall shower, tub and lots of counter space! The only drawback of the shower was that it took about 4-5 minutes to warm up. The bed was truly heavenly (it lived up to its name).

Staff was very friendly and overall, it was a very pleasant stay. I would definitely return if I found myself in Philadelphia again. It didn't hurt that I got a great rate on Priceline.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I went to a conference at this hotel and had a wonderful experience with the concierge, Gerri Diggins in particular. I needed a private place to pump as I recently had a baby and would away from him for several days. Gerri graciously found me a room where I could pump in a relaxed manner and even refrigerated my bottle of breastmilk. I felt really taken care of. The hotel is beautiful and in a prime location. The only downside is that parking is quite expensive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bob K, General Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Tanya,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We always welcome our guest comments.

We are unbelievably fortunate to have Gerri as part of our team. In fact, just last evening Gerri was presented with the "Key to the City". This is a very special honor presented annually to Philadelphia's top front line ambassadors. No one deserves it more!

Thank you again for staying with us and for your kind words. We hope to see you on your next visit to Philadelphia.

Be well
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at The a Westin Philadelphia while attending an NFL game. The hotel is located in the centre of Philadelphia and walking distance to all attractions. Staff are friendly and the check in process was efficient with an upgraded room provided as a Starwood member. From the quick assistance when calling guest services to excellent directions by the bell men, my stay here was above expectations. Would highly recommend to anyone travelling to the Philadelphia area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a great hotel located in downtown Philadelphia. Walking distance to many shops and restaurants. Parking was $36/day if you use the lot instead of valet. Hotel is about 25 minutes away from the airport and located right next to a shopping mall. Great room, most comfortable bed ever, and gorgeous bathroom. Very quiet & safe and would stay here again in a second.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!