“decent westin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #24 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“decent westin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

if you are thinking of a newly built westin , then this is not your place to be in. Its perhaps one of those hotels which need something but have everything. I dont want to write things which are common like good location , excellent bed etc etc.Two things i want to write which need immediate improvement.

1) Please please make room in the refrigerator for my delicious dinner leftovers and not be so weirdly electronic " if you open it we would know " sort of

2) Parking . Are you in a competition with cities like New York !!!! .

723 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The internet connection was a little lacking but I had the wifi on my phone to help with that. Additionally, parking is a little pricy as it is located near downtown Phila, however, the beds are one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept. They were so comfortable that I was going to go to the art museum relatively near-by but decided to sleep-in instead. The elevator cannot be activated unless you use a room key, which is a good security benefit. The water in the shower was hot and had adequate pressure. The customer service was very good and attentive. The rooms are pretty clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Westin Philadelphia on numerous occasions, and this was the first time that I left disappointed. Having said that, this is still one of the nicest Westins you'll find--the fact that the building used to house a Ritz-Carlton explains some of this. In addition, the level of service is better than you'll find at most Westins.
However, there are some flaws that are worth pointing out:
1) During our two days at the hotel, the concierge desk was unmanned.
2) Our request for turndown service was ignored.
3) Bellman service was unreliable, requiring multiple phone calls to locate our bags on both arrival and departure.
4) Upon check-in, I was told that I would receive a phone call when my room was ready. This phone call never happened.
5) While we waited for our room, the lobby was entirely over-run by a wedding, including photographers and musicians. These activities should really be confined to reserved party spaces, as it interferes with the experience of other guests.

Again, these are relatively minor critiques. But, I had developed high expectations for this property based on prior stays, and the hotel appears to have slipped a little.

Bellmore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Excellent room, nice bar, good breakfast (included in room rate :)!). Only small downer was high cost of valet parking. Room was very new, spacious, and very clean. Rate was excellent. Very good location, close to Rittenhouse square, shopping and great nearby restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob K, General Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Chris B,

I wanted to reach out and say thank you for staying with us and for your positive survey feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with our team!

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Philaedlphia!

Be well
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a below average Westin, but still a very nice hotel.

Pros:
-Very comfortable bed.
-Excellent water pressure in the shower.
-Great Center City location near great food options.

Cons:
-Internet- the internet in this hotel is often non-existent. When it does work (50-50 shot), it's slow. I ask the front desk about it and they transfer me to a help line where I give up after 15 minutes on hold.
-It's tired. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice hotel, but you can tell it hasn't been updated in a while.
-Hot water was just warm at best, especially in the morning.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel, but it's not "Westin" nice. Some of the little things are missing.

Room Tip: Starwood Preferred Guest floors have fresh fruit in the morning.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rimini, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We spent 2 nights in Philly during our honeymoon and we couldn't feel better in a hotel.
CLEAN, big and fully equipped room, huge and soft bed, smiling and very nice staff, great and fast service. When they found out we were on honeymoon, we were offered a bottle of champagne and, because I couldn't drink it, we were given 2 slices of a delicious chocolate cakeand 2 extra bottles of water. We had a little problem with our wc (things cam happen) and it was immediately solved by their engineering service. I totally recommend it and so does my husband! :)

Room Tip: We had a traditional standard room but it was awesome as well, don't need a suite :)
Morris Plains, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

On 9/12/13, I decided to book a last minute weekend getaway to Philadelphia in celebration of mine and my husband’s 23rd Anniversary (09/15/13). I reserved 2 rooms online, but the only options were for King beds, so I went ahead and booked them. We were bringing our children and other family members with us, therefore I emailed the hotel directly to address my concerns about the King beds because we really needed 2 beds in each room. I followed up my emails with a phone call to the hotel since I didn’t get a response right away. I spoke with Violletta and she was fantastic! She was so courteous and helpful and assured me that she would do her best to find the correct bed accommodations. The hotel had sold out of double beds because the Rock and Roll ½ Marathon was scheduled that weekend. After checking the system, she was able to upgrade 1 room to a suite because we were SPG Gold members and she found an accessible room with 2 double beds.

PARKING: We decided to drive in early and do the self park under the hotel, which I was told was NOT affiliated with the hotel and is a horror story in itself. Ended up paying $66: $36 for a 24 hour period, but because we left at 2 pm on Sunday (2 hours after our 24 hour period ended) we were charged an additional $30! TOTALLY INSANE – HIGHWAY ROBBERY! That’s more expensive than NYC parking!!! I tried to dispute this with the garage attendant, but he insisted he cannot do anything about the charges. He stated that I still saved myself money by not doing the valet through the hotel - yeah ok, whatever. Ironically enough, although he said they are not affiliated, he also stated the Westin was the only one that can do anything about the charges???? BEWARE of parking!

HOTEL: We arrived at noon. Coming in from the street, you go through the Valet area and up an elevator to the beautiful and cozy lobby. We were checked into 1 room (the one with 2 double beds - 909) because the suite was not ready yet. We were given the option of being called on our cell phones or just check back later around 3 to see if the room was ready. We chose to just check back later after lunch, left our luggage in the room and off we went. We returned to the hotel around 3 and there was a very short line of people checking in – maybe 2 groups (?). When it was our turn, all I needed to mention was that I was told to check back if my room was ready and presented a driver’s license. The gentleman went over to a different area and grabbed an envelope which had our room keys in it.

ROOMS: You cannot go in the elevator and select a floor without a valid key card.

Room 909 - Standard room with 2 double beds, but with a beautiful marble bathroom. Clean.
Suite 524 - Beautiful! Once you walk in, there was a ½ bath, a small foyer area, and the living room with a sofabed. Through the living room was a double door that led to the bedroom and a huge marble bathroom. The bathroom had a bathtub with shower plus a separate shower. The room was very clean. I am the type of person to inspect everything before I touch anything, so I was really impressed with the cleanliness of this room. We needed sheets for the sofabed, but instead of calling down to housekeeping, I found a very pleasant attendant with a cart in the hallway and I just asked her for the items I needed.

BAR: Went to the bar for some drinks and “Q” was an awesome bartender. He was VERY attentive and hard working.

ROOM SERVICE: On Sunday morning, my husband called in an order for a pot of coffee and less than 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door. They were very efficient and friendly, but very pricey. A $12.50 large pot of coffee that can only fill 5 cups even with cream, after service charges, tax and gratuity totaled over $24.00. I asked my husband for a copy of the receipt but they didn’t leave one, so I asked for a summary at the front desk when we were checking out. They couldn’t see the line charges on the system so the room service manager (?) came up to the front desk with a copy. She was the only person that didn’t smile. She looked mad that she had to come up with a copy of the room service check – don’t know her name. I saw all of the line charges and was shocked at all of the add-ons. I accepted responsibility for the charges and didn’t dispute anything, but at the same time I was very surprised they didn’t offer to subtract the duplicate tip line my husband accidentally added > $12.50 coffee + 5.00 delivery charge + 2.63 service charge + 3.00 additional tip + 1.61 tax = $24.74 large pot of coffee. YIKES! The price you pay for luxury, I guess. NOTE: They provide complimentary coffee in the lobby, which we were not aware of.

STAFF: Everyone we encountered, except for the room service manager (?), was really nice and professional - from the front desk staff to the bartender “Q”. They were all awesome!

We would definitely come back, but I will also do more research on parking, as that was the only sour thing that spoiled my weekend getaway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!