“My Westin Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York, New York, United States
“My Westin Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had a business trip planned to Philadelphia the weekend of Penn Relays and decided to stay at the Westin Hotel on 17th Street. The room was comfortable and cozy, the beds were soft in excess, and the bathroom was clean. I stayed in room 535 and it had a great view and a lot of sunlight. The shower was very confusing to use though, It's directions for hot and cold were completely random and the toilet would start running every once in a while which could get annoying for those that like silence when you sleep. They charged for the internet which was very unpleasant given the room rate, and there wasn't a guide to help you surf the TV channels. I really enjoyed the hotel bar/restaurant. The food was delicious and the servers went beyond themselves to make sure you enjoyed your meal and/or beverage. The Westin is a very beautiful hotel as well, fresh flowers every where, modern decor with a rustic feel, and a grand piano in the mezzanine that had someone playing every now and then to serenade you. I enjoyed my stay and recommend this hotel to those that don't mind adding an extra dollar for great amenities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Marco Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We arrived early in the AM at the Westin and requested a room on the upper floors not on busy street. The gentleman who check us in said that the rooms were being cleaned and if we could wait an hour, he would call us. I gave him my cell number and my wife and I went out to breakfast. As we were finishing, my cell rang and Chris let us know the room was ready. As promised, it was on upper floor on quiet side. Great service Westin.

The room was large with a King size bed and had complimentary water. Nice touch. The only downside was that they still charge for wi-if where other cheaper brand hotels provide it for free. Other than that, we were very satisfied with the cleanliness, size and service of this hotel.

Room Tip: State your room preferences and they will go out of their way to accommodate you.
Green Features: The Westin offers a $5 certificate or points to utilize their "green service" which means the room maids do not service the room and change out towels. We did have to request the points at checkout since we were not left a certificate as other Westins provide.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had about 140 guests stay at the Westin for our wedding, and it went very well. Everyone was friendly, welcoming, and incredibly helpful with all of the various moving parts that go into having all of your family and friends in the same place. Lauren in catering was great in organizing all of the rooms ahead of time and making sure everything was prepped for our guests arrival, Chris at the front desk was very helpful getting everyone situated in the rooms they wanted, and Marion helped us throw a great after-party and brunch. We bugged these people with millions of questions and requests (and demands!), and they were very accommodating. The hotel was also perfectly located for our guests, in a great part of Philadelphia so our guests could easily walk to restaurants and bars.

I would definitely recommend the Westin for hosting your wedding guests.

Room Tip: Bathrooms in the suites are very nice
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here for business two nights in April. Have been here multiple times. Always have had great experiences. Great location etc. All other reviews have said what I would write.
My MAJOR problem was the charges to my card because the automated billing in the mini bar showed that I had cleared the mini bar resulting in a $200 charge. Never even looked into the mini bar. I only discovered this charge after reviewing my statement. Was never emailed a copy of the receipt as is standard at all other Westin that I stay at. Called for a charge back and the person in accounting I dealt with was not the most polite or professional person I have encountered. My problem was there was not an apology or anything and to top it off my card is a canadian card and I lost about 25 bucks on the exchange rate. I asked what could be done( e.g. extra starwood points or free breakfast next stay) something to show they made an error. and was told basically too bad so sad.

Bridgeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spent the past weekend at the Westin Hotel located at 99 S. 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA and had a wonderful time. The hotel was beautiful and clean and the staff was excellent. We ran into Karim Ware the front office manager several times, and we thought he was the General Manager which made him chuckle. Karim was there for everything we needed. We cannot wait to go back to the Westin and spend more in the City.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinPAGM, General Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
I would first like to take a moment to thank you for staying at our property and for the wonderful review you have written about our property. I have spoken with our associate mentioned in your review and he was very happy to hear that he made that much of an impact on your stay. We strive to provide flawless service to our guests and when we read reviews to this magnitude, we are proud of our associates more than ever. Thank you again and we look forward to next time you choose our property to stay at.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I regularly stay in Starwoods and was consistently amazed at the service in this Westin. They were all well trained, professional, warm and definitely made the stay. I still hate how Westin charges for wifi. However the rooms are made for sleeping. The air conditioner was quiet, the linens wonderful and every amenity. I would definitely stay again. However, among the Starwoods nearby, the Meridien, was a little more lively, nicer views , but the location of the Westin was more central.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bayside, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at the Westin in Philly for an overnight trip for business.
It is your standard Westin - the rooms were roomy, clean and comfortable with the standard amenities you would expect at a Westin. I was able to get a very good night sleep which is the most important thing. And staff was friendly throughout the property - from the valet to doormen to front desk to the cleaning personnel.

But a couple of things brought down the stay from a 4 to a 3 rating..
First, the lobby is on the 2nd floor so you have to take one set of elevators to get to the lobby, and another to get to the room
Second, the property had a dreary feel to it due to lack of lighting in the common areas including the lobby, the hallway, and even the rooms.
Third, I was not recognized as a Starwood member, as I was not put on the SPG floor, nor was I given the free wi-fi password that comes with our corporate account (I forgot to ask for it at check-in when it wasn't provided).
And lastly, when I first got to my room, the hallway and the room just had this weird smell.. like someone was cooking or eating something really spicy.. It eventually went away, but my sinuses were not happy.

When in Philly I usually do stay at the Sofitel down the block, but decided to give the Westin a try given my colleagues were staying here and due to my SPG membership.. The Westin was a nice hotel, but I think I'll stay at the Sofitel the next time..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!