“Nice place in a good location for Center City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Nice place in a good location for Center City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Was here for two nights and won't go into great detail. Everything was very good, except a bit of dirt under the desk. Lobby has lots of charm and the staff were all very nice and helpful. You can pick up daily newspapers in the lobby. My room was in very good shape. Only negative is that wireless internet was S-U-P-E-R-S-L-O-W. There was a wired option but I didn't have an adapter for my pad.
Overall recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Falls Church, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is one of the best well priced hotels in the Rittenhouse part of Philadelphia. The service was very good. The overall quality and finishing of the entire hotel was excellent. The room was clean, large, comfortable, and well designed. The bathrooms here were very nice. If you are driving to the city, I would certainly be aware of the $51/nigh valet fee. The valet, all things considered, was worth it. I had a wonderful romantic getaway here and will most certainly return. Would like to stay in one of the larger suites next time.

Cranbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel is nice enough clean with good size rooms but the service was exemplary, from check in to small problems to bar service. I found it very impressive compared to other hotels in the city. Even received a call from the front desk to make sure everything was ok. Very happy with our stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have to say, after reading the Trip Advisor reviews, there were no surprises when I stayed at the Westin for two nights last weekend. It is a beautiful hotel, if you like classic design and furnishings (which I do). The beds are very comfortable, the linens are lovely, and the rooms are quiet. I got a good deal using Priceline bidding, which is great because I would not have paid the regular rates for this hotel.

There were some issues with my room, which are similar to what others have reported. The first night, the heating/cooling system wasn't functioning properly. Unfortunately, this isn't something I noticed until the middle of the night, and I wasn't going to call someone to fix it or have to change rooms at 3 a.m. The next morning, I reported the issue at the front desk. I was a little surprised that the desk clerk admonished me for not picking up the phone and reporting it immediately. Seriously, I got scolded by this guy! Anyway, when I returned to my room a couple hours later, the problem had been fixed. I also got a follow-up call to ensure everything was OK.

One problem I didn't report was the leaking around the sink faucets, which was severe for the cold water and noticeable for the hot water. I'm sure had I reported it, it would have been fixed right away...however, I wonder why a guest would have to report something that the cleaning staff must notice every time they clean this room? The housekeeping staff should be empowered in this way, it seems, because not every guest is going to bother to report minor issues that really should not happen at a hotel of this level. Anyway, it wasn't that a big deal, just a little annoying. The room overall was great. It was on the top floor (15th), and looking out one side, there was a bit of a view. My room overlooked the dome of the adjoining shopping center, and that was kind of cool.

The biggest problem I encountered at the Westin was with getting my room cleaned. After leaving the room for a few hours, I came back mid-afternoon to discover it hadn't been cleaned. I noticed the housekeeping cart in the hallway and figured if I went away for a while more, it would be clean upon my return. This was not the case, however, when I returned at 5 p.m. I reported the problem at the front desk, and they said it would be about 30 minutes to get the room cleaned. The desk clerk provided drink vouchers for the lounge while we waited.

Aside from the one incident with the scolding desk clerk, the rest of the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Keep a wad of ones handy, because you'll want to tip for the services they provide. The lounge is comfortable, but pricey. The restaurant is very expensive and, in my experience, just not worth the cost. There are many other good dining options around, so only use the hotel restaurant if you need the convenience of it.

Like other reviewers, I avoided paying the $51/night charge for valet parking. I found discount coupons online for public parking garages and picked one nearby. Be warned, though, that if you want to take your car in and out, it would probably be worth the charge for the valet parking. I parked my car the first night and didn't get it until the morning I checked out. The city is very walkable, but if you need a cab, they are easy to get and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you are in the loyalty program, you can get a room on the 15th floor.
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Once again, we stayed here for a weekend of R&R&R in Center City, not thirty minutes from where we live. Once again, we got a great deal through blind bidding. Once again, our room and service were exemplary -- even though we paid less than half the rack rate, we got nothing less than full service.

The Westin is located in Liberty Place, an office / retail skyscraper just a block south of Market Street, two blocks west of City Hall, and two blocks from Rittenhouse Square. As such, it is surrounded by shopping of all kinds, art venues, fine dining, and nightlife -- WAY too many to list. It is also three blocks from a subway stop, and thus Old City and the University Area are easily accessible. One can visit the Shops at Liberty Place without going outside, thus giving you a mall (and food court) just minutes from the lobby. In other words, its location is hard to beat.

Our room had full bath, phone, AC,hair dryer, iron & board, radio/CD-player/alarm, bathrobe, and digital TV with 41 channels. It also had a refrigerator with a VERY clear warning that any usage, even without taking anything within it, would result in a charge. The snacks and water bottles in the room are clearly labelled as NOT complimentary. There is a coffee maker in the room but I could not determine the charge for using it. The room was clean, quiet (including the AC), and well-maintained.

Parking and breakfast buffet are available on-site, but neither is a bargain. Wi-fi is available for free in the lobby and with a daily charge in one's room. The lobby also features comfortable seating areas, a TV, and a concierge desk. In the morning, newspapers and coffee are provided free.

We took advantage of a deal I've never heard of anywhere else: if you agree to not have any maid service of any kind -- no cleaning, no fresh towels, no bed service -- you get a $5 coupon at their eating establishments during your stay.

The bed and its pillows are still some of the best we've ever experienced. Staff was always helpful and friendly; offering help without being asked.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Located in the heart of Philadelphia's financial district, this "W" style hotel was once the Ritz Carlton. A secret that allows you to enjoy all white marble baths and room details well above the average Westin today. The mini suite offers an insane value. Two big rooms and one huge bath plus another half all marble. Recently updated lobby with fireplace and a cozy restaurant, makes this five stars for me. Be demanding here and it will go far. :) DJ

Room Tip: go for the mini or corporate suite and enjoy the luxury.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Convenient to Rittenhouse Square, walking distance to the Convention Center, The Barnes and other museums, and surrounded by excellent shopping and restaurants, the Westin is perfectly located to enjoy all Philadelphia has to offer.

We planned a quick weekend trip to Philly for the Flower Show, arriving March 1, 2013. Not sure how or why, but we got a great price on a room at the Westin. Our plane arrived around noon, and I was worried we wouldn't be able to check in early, but when we got there, we were immediately issued our keys and headed up to the room.

Our room was spacious and comfy - lots of pillows, big screen TV, large bathroom, shower with two heads, good water pressure, good heater, and very quiet.

Everyone working there - the doorman, the front desk staff, and particularly the concierge - were extremely friendly and helpful. They gave us recommendations for restaurants to eat at nearby which turned out to be excellent. They helped us with ground transportation to the airport. The service at the hotel was truly first class.

No problems with the room. No problems with the staff. No problems with the neighborhood. What a nice change from some of our earlier trips. The Westin made our weekend very relaxing and worry-free.

Room Tip: We like higher floors to avoid street noise, and we want better views of the city that upper floors...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!