“Read the Reviews, and You'll Know What to Expect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Read the Reviews, and You'll Know What to Expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have to say, after reading the Trip Advisor reviews, there were no surprises when I stayed at the Westin for two nights last weekend. It is a beautiful hotel, if you like classic design and furnishings (which I do). The beds are very comfortable, the linens are lovely, and the rooms are quiet. I got a good deal using Priceline bidding, which is great because I would not have paid the regular rates for this hotel.

There were some issues with my room, which are similar to what others have reported. The first night, the heating/cooling system wasn't functioning properly. Unfortunately, this isn't something I noticed until the middle of the night, and I wasn't going to call someone to fix it or have to change rooms at 3 a.m. The next morning, I reported the issue at the front desk. I was a little surprised that the desk clerk admonished me for not picking up the phone and reporting it immediately. Seriously, I got scolded by this guy! Anyway, when I returned to my room a couple hours later, the problem had been fixed. I also got a follow-up call to ensure everything was OK.

One problem I didn't report was the leaking around the sink faucets, which was severe for the cold water and noticeable for the hot water. I'm sure had I reported it, it would have been fixed right away...however, I wonder why a guest would have to report something that the cleaning staff must notice every time they clean this room? The housekeeping staff should be empowered in this way, it seems, because not every guest is going to bother to report minor issues that really should not happen at a hotel of this level. Anyway, it wasn't that a big deal, just a little annoying. The room overall was great. It was on the top floor (15th), and looking out one side, there was a bit of a view. My room overlooked the dome of the adjoining shopping center, and that was kind of cool.

The biggest problem I encountered at the Westin was with getting my room cleaned. After leaving the room for a few hours, I came back mid-afternoon to discover it hadn't been cleaned. I noticed the housekeeping cart in the hallway and figured if I went away for a while more, it would be clean upon my return. This was not the case, however, when I returned at 5 p.m. I reported the problem at the front desk, and they said it would be about 30 minutes to get the room cleaned. The desk clerk provided drink vouchers for the lounge while we waited.

Aside from the one incident with the scolding desk clerk, the rest of the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Keep a wad of ones handy, because you'll want to tip for the services they provide. The lounge is comfortable, but pricey. The restaurant is very expensive and, in my experience, just not worth the cost. There are many other good dining options around, so only use the hotel restaurant if you need the convenience of it.

Like other reviewers, I avoided paying the $51/night charge for valet parking. I found discount coupons online for public parking garages and picked one nearby. Be warned, though, that if you want to take your car in and out, it would probably be worth the charge for the valet parking. I parked my car the first night and didn't get it until the morning I checked out. The city is very walkable, but if you need a cab, they are easy to get and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you are in the loyalty program, you can get a room on the 15th floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Once again, we stayed here for a weekend of R&R&R in Center City, not thirty minutes from where we live. Once again, we got a great deal through blind bidding. Once again, our room and service were exemplary -- even though we paid less than half the rack rate, we got nothing less than full service.

The Westin is located in Liberty Place, an office / retail skyscraper just a block south of Market Street, two blocks west of City Hall, and two blocks from Rittenhouse Square. As such, it is surrounded by shopping of all kinds, art venues, fine dining, and nightlife -- WAY too many to list. It is also three blocks from a subway stop, and thus Old City and the University Area are easily accessible. One can visit the Shops at Liberty Place without going outside, thus giving you a mall (and food court) just minutes from the lobby. In other words, its location is hard to beat.

Our room had full bath, phone, AC,hair dryer, iron & board, radio/CD-player/alarm, bathrobe, and digital TV with 41 channels. It also had a refrigerator with a VERY clear warning that any usage, even without taking anything within it, would result in a charge. The snacks and water bottles in the room are clearly labelled as NOT complimentary. There is a coffee maker in the room but I could not determine the charge for using it. The room was clean, quiet (including the AC), and well-maintained.

Parking and breakfast buffet are available on-site, but neither is a bargain. Wi-fi is available for free in the lobby and with a daily charge in one's room. The lobby also features comfortable seating areas, a TV, and a concierge desk. In the morning, newspapers and coffee are provided free.

We took advantage of a deal I've never heard of anywhere else: if you agree to not have any maid service of any kind -- no cleaning, no fresh towels, no bed service -- you get a $5 coupon at their eating establishments during your stay.

The bed and its pillows are still some of the best we've ever experienced. Staff was always helpful and friendly; offering help without being asked.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Located in the heart of Philadelphia's financial district, this "W" style hotel was once the Ritz Carlton. A secret that allows you to enjoy all white marble baths and room details well above the average Westin today. The mini suite offers an insane value. Two big rooms and one huge bath plus another half all marble. Recently updated lobby with fireplace and a cozy restaurant, makes this five stars for me. Be demanding here and it will go far. :) DJ

Room Tip: go for the mini or corporate suite and enjoy the luxury.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Convenient to Rittenhouse Square, walking distance to the Convention Center, The Barnes and other museums, and surrounded by excellent shopping and restaurants, the Westin is perfectly located to enjoy all Philadelphia has to offer.

We planned a quick weekend trip to Philly for the Flower Show, arriving March 1, 2013. Not sure how or why, but we got a great price on a room at the Westin. Our plane arrived around noon, and I was worried we wouldn't be able to check in early, but when we got there, we were immediately issued our keys and headed up to the room.

Our room was spacious and comfy - lots of pillows, big screen TV, large bathroom, shower with two heads, good water pressure, good heater, and very quiet.

Everyone working there - the doorman, the front desk staff, and particularly the concierge - were extremely friendly and helpful. They gave us recommendations for restaurants to eat at nearby which turned out to be excellent. They helped us with ground transportation to the airport. The service at the hotel was truly first class.

No problems with the room. No problems with the staff. No problems with the neighborhood. What a nice change from some of our earlier trips. The Westin made our weekend very relaxing and worry-free.

Room Tip: We like higher floors to avoid street noise, and we want better views of the city that upper floors...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We used a name your price website and got a great price. We easily walked to all of the sights and restaurants. The art museum is a bit of a trek but was a lovely walk even in the frigid weather. All in all we would consider staying again for a regular or romantic getaway if we could land a similar deal.

The water pressure was a bit low but wasn't a big deal to us. We also did not love the bed, but that, too, is just a matter of personal preference. Many folks raved about them.We saw that a bunch of folks commented on the two separate elevators, but did not find this to be any kind of inconvenience whatsoever, especially because the lobby and sitting area that you walk through are gorgeous and the staff are all very pleasant. We did not eat in the restaurant but the food definitely smelled good.

We had two mishaps - a missing laundry bag and glass on the bathroom floor that wound up in my toe - but the staff response to both was above and beyond (and the laundry bag was returned). Of course, I will caution you that I put it on the floor of the bathroom using the plastic bags that the hotel provided in the closet, so perhaps put it somewhere else! Also, double check the coffee - as two coffee drinkers it is logical to me that if you see that two people are in the room it would make sense to replace both caffeinated coffees, but alas, they only replaced one, leaving a caffeinated and decaf and we needed to split a cup.

Tips:
1) Food & drink - Bring a flask or small bottle of tequila with you and head over (with cash) to Lolita, in walking distance. There are two cute wine bars and Graffiti bar (down an alley, small outdoor bar, look for the sign) close by if you have to wait for a table. Romantic and so good we went two nights in a row. The guava margaritas at El Rey (also walking distance) were ridiculously good. Note, that you don't get more by buying a pitcher.

2) Parking - Do a search of something along the lines of "Philadelphia parking coupons." Central Parking posted $15 for 24 hour coupons online, in addition to other hourly rates. They were not able to guarantee the rate when we checked in, even after acknowledging that there weren't any events going on, but we took the risk and it paid off. The total for the whole stay was only slightly over what we would have paid for one night using the hotel valet. We just used one coupon for all three nights (I printed 3 just in case).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Like another recent reviewer, we got a very good rate on a room for the weekend at the Westin, and viewed in that respect (i.e., positive attributes compared to cost), it's fine. It is indeed centrally located, has a surprisingly nice gym (with refrigerated face clothes) and the beds are large and seem new (or new-ish anyway). The rest of the scene is tired--- it feels like it's stuck in 1992, needs paint, the common areas feel abandoned. It may be that the low rate drew a different sort of a crowd, but it felt a bit like a bus station (people sitting around eating from communal bags of chips and drinking take out beer). My wife and I had a debate about the piano player Friday night--- I thought he was hotel staff, but just bad; she thought he was an exuberant guest. (He offered a version of 3 Dog Night's "Joy to the World" somewhat worthy of Bill Murray-- "Jeremiah was a bulllllfrogggg") Also, the internet is $12.95 or something per day, and a recent movie is $17.95. (We spent $17.95 to see "This is 40"--- we'd suggest you wait until it's on HBO.)

So, put briefly, if you get a great rate, this is fine. If you are a business traveler, or the rate isn't great, look elsewhere. There are easily 5-10 better places to stay in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: We were in 918-- not much view but not noisy.
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. It's right downtown and was an easy walk to many options. The room was clean and big enough to fit two pack and plays.

The only issue I had with the hotel was with the sales team. On the phone, I was told I could get a pre-pay option for $199/night. I was told I had 24 hours to sign up. When I called back the next day, I was told the offer no longer existed. I spoke to a supervisor on the phone and attendants at the hotel during our stay. They all said nothing could be done. I would have called back earlier if the rate might be lost. I was extremely disappointed that the hotel would not offer any way to correct the price and basically blame me for the error.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!