I have to say, after reading the Trip Advisor reviews, there were no surprises when I stayed at the Westin for two nights last weekend. It is a beautiful hotel, if you like classic design and furnishings (which I do). The beds are very comfortable, the linens are lovely, and the rooms are quiet. I got a good deal using Priceline bidding, which is great because I would not have paid the regular rates for this hotel.
There were some issues with my room, which are similar to what others have reported. The first night, the heating/cooling system wasn't functioning properly. Unfortunately, this isn't something I noticed until the middle of the night, and I wasn't going to call someone to fix it or have to change rooms at 3 a.m. The next morning, I reported the issue at the front desk. I was a little surprised that the desk clerk admonished me for not picking up the phone and reporting it immediately. Seriously, I got scolded by this guy! Anyway, when I returned to my room a couple hours later, the problem had been fixed. I also got a follow-up call to ensure everything was OK.
One problem I didn't report was the leaking around the sink faucets, which was severe for the cold water and noticeable for the hot water. I'm sure had I reported it, it would have been fixed right away...however, I wonder why a guest would have to report something that the cleaning staff must notice every time they clean this room? The housekeeping staff should be empowered in this way, it seems, because not every guest is going to bother to report minor issues that really should not happen at a hotel of this level. Anyway, it wasn't that a big deal, just a little annoying. The room overall was great. It was on the top floor (15th), and looking out one side, there was a bit of a view. My room overlooked the dome of the adjoining shopping center, and that was kind of cool.
The biggest problem I encountered at the Westin was with getting my room cleaned. After leaving the room for a few hours, I came back mid-afternoon to discover it hadn't been cleaned. I noticed the housekeeping cart in the hallway and figured if I went away for a while more, it would be clean upon my return. This was not the case, however, when I returned at 5 p.m. I reported the problem at the front desk, and they said it would be about 30 minutes to get the room cleaned. The desk clerk provided drink vouchers for the lounge while we waited.
Aside from the one incident with the scolding desk clerk, the rest of the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Keep a wad of ones handy, because you'll want to tip for the services they provide. The lounge is comfortable, but pricey. The restaurant is very expensive and, in my experience, just not worth the cost. There are many other good dining options around, so only use the hotel restaurant if you need the convenience of it.
Like other reviewers, I avoided paying the $51/night charge for valet parking. I found discount coupons online for public parking garages and picked one nearby. Be warned, though, that if you want to take your car in and out, it would probably be worth the charge for the valet parking. I parked my car the first night and didn't get it until the morning I checked out. The city is very walkable, but if you need a cab, they are easy to get and reasonably priced.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Philadelphia Hotel
- Westin Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Westin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of a city rich with history, The Westin Philadelphia is convenient to Liberty Place, upscale shopping, award-winning restaurants, museums and historical attractions, including the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and the Constitution Center. Our hotel features 294 guest rooms with 19 suites, business center, fitness facility, and on-site dining at citygrange. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Starwood, Travelocity, Orbitz, Amex, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Westin Philadelphia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.