“Not a heavenly stay (though it usually is) - hope its better next time.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #28 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not a heavenly stay (though it usually is) - hope its better next time.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on many many occasions and always loved it. So much so that I have left a raving review with five stars in the past and recommend to all my friends that this is the place to stay when in Philly. Unfortunately, my most recent visit was disappointing and resulted in a sleepless night.

Upon checking in I realized that my room (724) was next to an ice machine room. I did not notice when walking past the ice machine room but quickly noticed when I was in my room and the operating noise from the ice machine sounded like a helicopter hovering outside my window (I literally looked out the window to check). I called the front desk, explained my issue, and was told that a technician would come to check it out. Never heard back from the front desk and after checking periodically if a technician was in the ice machine room, I honestly don't think he/she ever showed up. In addition to the excessive vibrating/humming noise from the ice machine (and the constant sound of ice falling and the door crashing shut every time someone used it), there is also a service elevator located in the same area. After an already sleepless night, I had the privilege of listening to carts, doors, and staff banging and clanking as they came off the service elevator and onto the floor, all morning.

I write this review as I am laying in my heavenly bed after a very sleepless night while still listening to that heavenly ice machine next door. As I mentioned earlier, I have loved and raved about this hotel for a long time and therefore will be back. Hopefully the Philadelphia Westin earns its five stars again during my next visit. If not, I will just hop across the street and give the Sofitel a try.

-JK

• Stayed December 2012
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
JKBKlyn:

We are terribly apologetic for the restless night sleep that you have experienced! We wish you to always enjoy your nights sleep!

Please e-mail me personally so we may resolve this matter before you return to Philadelphia at and alternate hotel. lapasquini@westinphila.com

796 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Philadelphia Hotel for the celebration of my Birthday! In fact, it has become a yearly tradition for all of my friends (both in and out of town) to meet up and enjoy a nice evening in the hotel and out in town...I must say that every year the hotel and the staff exceed my expectations and pleasantly shock all of my visiting friends! Not only is everyone from the hotel so friendly, kind an daccommodating with attention to every detail, but everyone truly takes the time to go that one extra step to make it a very special experience each time (that is truly not easy to do when the hotel is hustling and bustling w/multiple holiday events, wedding, parties and visitors). Yet, the staff never disappoints. A DEFINITE MUST STAY :) Thank you so much for not only making me proud of being an SPG valued member (but for making all of my friends rave about the experience they had!) The piano and decorated lounge/fireplace is an extra bonus! An A++++++ all the way around!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Socart6:

Thank you for writing such a lovely review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us for your celebration and are already excited to host your next birthday!
Hackensack, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were in Philadelphia for 1 night visiting friends and seeing the Barnes Art Collection. The hotel is located in an excellent area with many restaurants. We stayed in a regular room which had a desk which hubby really got use of. There was a clock-radio-CD player which I wish was upgraded to an iPhone dock clock radio. The gym was being renovated but exercise equipment was being housed in a banquet room. Phones were out of order, so we had to utilize our own. Water pressure was just OK - although the bathroom is gorgeous with all the marble, using the double jet shower was not impressive due to low pressure. No great view to speak of. Don't touch the mini-bar! It is monitored by sensors and if movement is detected they charge you (what?!!). Bed was a bit mushy, but OK. Great service from staff.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had the opportunity to stay at the Westin Philly on a recent trip to break down our long car ride journey home to New England for Christmas. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a beautiful king suite. The suite was huge!!! It had a separate bedroom and sitting room and 1.5 bathrooms. The main bathroom was bigger than the bedroom. Gorgeous marbled floors and walls with a separate glass shower and tub. We were happily surprised.

Since we arrived quite late, we ordered room service. The salads were fresh and well thought out. Everything was delicious. If given the opportunity, we would have liked to try the Winthrope & Valentine dining room on the first floor, which was still open very late, but we were tired from driving.

We slept very well thanks to the famous Westin Heavenly Bed and Westin Heavenly Bath. Unfortunately, we had to check out early to continue driving, but we wish we could have stayed longer. The location cannot be beat. The hotel also did a great job decorating for the holidays. The whole first floor (where the check-in desk is) was decked to the nines. It felt like the perfect place to spend Christmas.

The only downside is parking, which is pricey. However, there is a lot of on-street parking if you don't mind the inconvenience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Amanda:

We are thrilled that even though you could only stay a short while, you were able to enjoy the full Westin (Holiday) Heavenly Experience!

We hope that you are able to stay with us a little longer on your next stop in Philly!

Thank you!
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed overnight with my husband since we got a really great price for the King Bed Suite at this hotel.

Pros:
- Beautiful interiors; sufficient privacy
- Since it was a holiday weekend, was able to check-in early without hassle
- Our room was ready per our request on a higher floor
- Great rooms - spacious, good bedding, good bathrooms
- Breakfast-in-bed at no additional charge
- Great housekeeping / Service Express staff; very friendly over the phone (at time of reservation, as well as during room service) :)
- Cannot beat the location - right in center city!

Cons:
Minor things that could have made this a 5-star rating if taken care of-
- Our surprise amenity for strawberries and champagne arrived after we checked-in as opposed to being placed in the room; champagne wasn't chilled.
- We were asked what time we will check-out on day of check-out; housekeeping staff was stationed outside our room waiting for us to leave (they did not rush us; but we were creeped out with someone waiting outside; could hear them talking on the phone)
- Previous guests left their socks on the floor - these were not cleaned up before we arrived
- Hotel dining menu / manual was dirty and stained with coffee; also hard to find in the room
- Coffee maker was dusty
- Refreshment center super expensive; two items missing when we opened it on arrival (we reported to front desk incase they charged us for it)

Overall, pleasant stay for our purposes. We may try another hotel in the city next time though due to lack of attention to cleanliness.

Room Tip: Request higher floor to avoid street noise; better food options outside the hotel
Wanderlust:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Philadelphia, we appreciate you taking a moment! We would also like to thank you for your lovely "pros" section we are delighted that you had enjoyable interaction with our staff!

As for your "cons" section we thank you for pointing out our areas of improvement, I have sent your comments to Mark Chang our Assistant Director of Housekeeping in order to highlight your ordeal as an example.

We hope that you give us a second chance, and I welcome any further comments directly to my e-mail lapasquini@westinphila.com
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Our stay was wonderful. We brought our two children for an overnight and some Christmas fun in Philadelphia. We arrived a bit later than anticipated due to traffic. So by the time we pulled up to the entrance we were stressed and the children were going wild. The valet attendants greeted us with a smile and immediately set out to unload our luggage and get us into the hotel. We were whisked to check-in and up to our room in 5 minutes (maybe less). Our room was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was spotless.
For dinner, we decided to stay in, let our 5 year old go crazy with room service and rent a movie. The menu had lots of appealing options, we ordered, were told 35 minutes, the food was delivered in 25 minutes. It was a feast, and very nicely presented. The woman who brought our table up was lovely and warm and took a lot of care to set us up nicely. She went the extra mile to make our 5 year old feel special by calling him "little prince". Being able to rent a very recent movie was a really nice treat.
One detail: of the two phones, only one worked and only on speakerphone. By morning even that didn't work. The staff offered to fix the phone immediately, but as we were an hour from checking out, there was no need. We would definitely stay again. The attentive and friendly staff make this a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Reeve:

Thank you, your review was so lovely and meant a lot to us! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope you make the Westin Philadelphia a Holiday Tradition in the next years. We have shared both your positive comments and your phone concerns with our staff to ensure more positive experiences for you and others in the future!

Thank you again, enjoy your holidays!
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Westin while in town for a wedding. Overall staff was very nice and attentive but little things bothered me. Someone knocked on my door in the morning to ask about my checkout time. I guess they needed to turn over the room? One of the lamps was oddly unplugged and phone didn't work. I wanted to use the coffeemaker in the room, but it was dusty on the inside...Little details like that left me underwhelmed. Location is fantastic and conveniently accessible via Liberty Place. Parking is steep!!

• Stayed December 2012
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
TravelingLoaf:

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced, We certainly do not want to leave the little details you mentioned unnoticed!

I have shared your review with our housekeeping staff as a training tool. Thank you for taking time to write a review, and we apologize again for the mishaps.

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!