“It was OK but I think we will try something else next time” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #32 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“It was OK but I think we will try something else next time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We have stayed here a few times in the past and it's always been fine. But it's never really been more than fine. Nothing to really complain about, but nothing that makes me want to come back especially with all of the other hotels that are in the immediate area. Our room on the 15th floor (which happened to be a Starwood Preferred Guest Floor) was on the small side, especially the bathroom. Also the shower area was a little rusty and tired looking, plus some stains on the chair in the room.

Housekeeping was certainly pleasant, but dirty glasses that were in our room on Friday were placed on the floor outside of our room Saturday by housekeeping I guess when they cleaned the room, then were still there (half full of wine) Sunday late morning when we left. I think that is a little weird. Same kind of thing by the elevator... someone had left an old coffee cup on a table by the elevator on our floor on Saturday early morning and it was still sitting there when we left Sunday.

I know this has been mentioned before but I think the whole 2 elevator thing is a little annoying. And I also think that because you need to take an elevator to the lobby, the lobby ends up kind of "dead." It's just kind of dark and not an inviting place to hang out, and no one wanders in off the street to grab a drink or anything. I'm sure most people don't mind that, but sometimes if I am away for a weekend I like an atmosphere that seems a little more lively.

I do want to say that all of the staff we encountered were very nice so I definitely don't have any complaints at all there. But next time I am in Philly I am going to try something different.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Josie:

Thank you or taking the time to write a review, the Holidays can be a busy time. We appreciate you taking a few moments for us, feedback is a gift!

Certainly we pride ourselves on cleanliness and I apologize that your housekeeping service was sub par, I have shared this review with Mark Chang, our Assistant Director of Housekeeping to assure that your issues will not rise again.

In addition I regret that you find our lobby inconvenient and dark, the double Lobby was built to ensure safety.

We understand that you have plenty of choices in Philadelphia and wish that you would give us another chance before you leave us for good! I invite you to e-mail me personally at lapasquini@westinphila.com and let me know what we can do to win back your business

Thank you again!

780 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Philly Westin is in a great location within easy walking distance of Rittenhouse Square and the Reading Terminal Market. It's a lovely old building that has been beautifully remodeled to accommodate the modern world..

Its standout point is the wonderful staff. The doorman remembered our names, relayed messages from our parents who were also staying there ("your Mom said not to wait up") and fished forgotten items our of our vehicle that had been valet parked. All this during a busy Thanksigiving weekend with lots of chaos going on in the background.

It has a couple quirks. The bathroom has a double shower head that's intended to hit both upper and lower back at the same time. It feels great, but is hung so low that anyone shorter than 5'9" has to stoop to wash their hair. And the desk is entirely too large for the space, guaranteeing that someone will stub their toe in the middle of the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
VirginiaVacationer:

What a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to write it! We will happily share your kind words with our front door/valet staff. As for our heavenly shower-heads, I apologize that you had troubles with them and I will share your comments with our engineering department!

Thank You Again!
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

For a number of years in a row now, my better half and I have travelled to Philadelphia for Thanksgiving and have stayed in Center City on Wednesday and Thursday. This year's "Priceline Winner" was the Westin (originally a Ritz-Carlton and then a St. Regis). Throughout the public areas you felt like you were still in the Ritz (which was built in the '80's when they had a template of sorts), with the clubby dark wood and pretty but formal furnishings throughout (rather un-Westin-like). The rooms themselves were more like the sleeker, modern-er stylings of a Westin property.

The hotel is in a great location only two turns off the 676 expressway (in Philly that's a bonus). Philly is an eminently walkable city, but if you don't want to do that (distance, unfamiliarity), cabs are plentiful. Rittenhouse Square is nearby, and with that so are some of the higher-end restaurants. I highly recommend Steven Starr's Parc from another recent trip.

The king room was pretty large (we were on the Starwood Preferred Member floor, but I don't know if that was why). The accents and the amenities were to be expected in a Westin---plush bathrobe, extensive toiletries and minibar selections, gorgeous TV, safe, etc. But oddly, they offered only one complimentary regular coffee for two people (you could buy the second one if you wanted), and there were no coffee stirrrers the first morning. Also, no morning newspaper greeted us either day.

We did have breakfast in the Winthrop & Valentine Restaurant (even that sounds stuffy, but it's a fabulous take on the names of the two lead characters in a popular Philadelphia-based movie...Google it!). The selections were fine---eggy things, pancakes, oatmeal, etc.), but my hash browns literally tasted like nothing. Not one potato molecule was evident. I was dumbfounded as to how this was possible. My egg/turkey/chpiotle salsa wrap was otherwise good. Two breakfasts with tax & tip were over $50. Yeah. Had drinks in the same restaurant bar Thursday night. Pretty busy with a lively crowd (escaped from family!). Our bartender lady was very friendly and chatted with everyone. And the Manhattans were well made.

The staff that we did encounter was pleasant and helpful, as needed. Cheery, as opposed to prim and proper. I like cheery.

I am a Starwood member and love Westin hotels (Heavenly Beds!). This one was very nice (as they all should be), but as I mentioned, there were a few really basic things that were off. But for our purposes---a crashpad, for the most part---it got our long weekend off to a great start.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Daveb:

Thank you for taking time to write a review, we are happy that you chose us opposed to the other options available to you on the Priceline website!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed all of our Westin Heavenly Bed and Bath products while you were here, in addition to our bar!

I apologize for the hash-browns, I have showed your critique to our kitchen so they may adjust the problem!

Thank you again, and we hope that you choose us for your annual trip next Thanksgiving!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a speedy check-in, and got some apple cider near the reception desk, which was nice! We both like the heavenly bed, and the room was nice and clean. They only had enough coffee for 1 person though, but oh well. We were having a pretty good stay at the hotel, and I was bored one morning and asked guest services to send workout clothes and shoes (part of their "westin workout" problem) so I could use their fitness center. The fitness center is small but clean and adequate, and the locker room was gorgeous! The floors were all marble or carpet, with wooden lockers, clean towels, and a small, clean sauna. The shoes and clothes they sent were new New Balance and really comfy. I'm thinking of buying a pair of those shoes now.

We unfortunately ended up with a plumbing issue in our bathroom on our last night around midnight. We called service express and they sent up an engineer right away. The engineer took care of the problem and then had hotel reception switch us to a new room down the hall. The engineer also brought us new room keys, so we didn't have to go down to the reception desk. The staff was really professional and quick and efficient at the sign of any problem, so in less than 10 minutes, we were in a new room watching tv in bed like nothing had happened. Upon checking out, I found out they didn't charge me for the workout gear as a courtesy.

Overall, the Westin was a really comfortable, friendly, professional hotel in a great location. The staff was extremely attentive and the room was lovely. The staff bent over backwards to make your stay stress free -- we'll definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: All the standard rooms are the same -- it's the middle of the city, so no real views anywhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Plural:

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review, we are always delighted to provide such service that you have mentioned!

We apologize that you had a plumbing issue during your stay, and are thrilled that you were pleased with our response! In addition if you notice that there is not enough coffee in your room please simply dial "0" and ask the Service Express agent to have more brought up to you!

Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We came up for marathon and stayed the weekend. We stayed in a suite which was very spacious. The master bath was huge with a separate shower and tub, and the heavenly bed once again did not disappoint. The pullout was far from a heavenly bed but gives you space for another person if you need. The hotel itself has an elegant feel to it with nice couches and a fireplace in the lobby area. The gym has a good number of treadmills and a small weight area but big enough to get in a good workout. The area itself is walking distance to all of the good shopping and restaurants of Rittenhouse Square. Overall the Westin did not disappoint.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
YankeeTravels:

We are so glad that you enjoyed the amenities that the Westin Philly has to offer, we hope that you will return soon!
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Decent hotel in the heart of center city near all major businesses and great restaurants - a bit annoying that you need to take one elevator to the lobby and a different elevator to the room - nice marble bathrooms but rooms are a little small - flat screen hd tv was a plus but beds were a bit narrow

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Traveltime:

Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We apologize that you found our lobby areas inconvenient, they were built with guest security in mind!

We hope to see you again soon!
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked a single night stay during the weekend for a girls night out and my birthday, and was able to get a very good price on the room, or so I had thought. Upon driving up, I was greeted by the valet attended and was given 2 different options for parking; $36 to self park, or $49 to valet my car...ouch, (strike #1). I chose to self park, but given the complexity of the underground garage, found myself at the exit of which I would have had to pay to get out just to turn around to get right back in. Thankfully there was a parking office right there, went in, spoke with the attendant who voided my ticket to get out free, and gave me instructions/directions on where to properly park. By the time I drove out of the garage I was already frustrated so I decided to valet my car instead; much easier obviously and the valet attendants were overly zealous to help you. Finally getting to the check in desk, I was happily greeted again and the check in process began. Shortly thereafter I was unfortunately notified that my 2-double bed room was not ready yet, at 5:15pm in the evening, (strike #2). The concierge was overly apologetic, and offered to give me a single king bed room with a rollaway, which I declined. I opted to wait for the room to be ready in the lobby, to which the concierge was very accomodating and kept me updated every few minutes while I patiently waited, and then offered me 2 free drink (alchoholic, that is) vouchers in their restaurant and said if I or my friend needed anymore, to please come ask him, (hey sounds good to me!). Shortly after 6pm my room was finally ready, and a different concierge came to get my payment information rather than have me get up to come to the check in desk again, which I thought was rather nice. Finally making it to the room, it was very clean with minimal wear and tear for its age (which I did not think was a big deal at all like other reviewers had remarked on), and the beds were super comfortable and plush. Strike #3 was due to the fact that there is no continental breakfast or wifi access included in the price of the room, both you had to pay for separately. Despite getting a good price for the room, I felt like there was a lot of "nickel and diming" for the items that are normally included at other hotels. BUT, given the location of the the Westin in Philly, it was still a great price for the stay. All of the staff there were very friendly and helpful and felt that they went out of the way for you. I would like to stay there again, but will book a package next time that they have through their website that includes the parking and other extras for a cheaper price than paying separately. Despite stated hiccups, I overall had a pleasant experience and was happy that I chose the Westin for my first stay in City Center.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kim:

I want to apologize for your parking issues! We do not have the convenience of owning the parking lot that we use! That to is why the pricing on the parking is so incredibly high, and once again i must apologize for that.

We certainly don't want you to feel that we are nickle and diming you in any way, we have brought up your concerns with our GM for review.

Thank you for your kind words concerning our staff, we will be sure to pass those along, and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!