“Thanksgiving tradition in Philly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #28 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
“Thanksgiving tradition in Philly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

For a number of years in a row now, my better half and I have travelled to Philadelphia for Thanksgiving and have stayed in Center City on Wednesday and Thursday. This year's "Priceline Winner" was the Westin (originally a Ritz-Carlton and then a St. Regis). Throughout the public areas you felt like you were still in the Ritz (which was built in the '80's when they had a template of sorts), with the clubby dark wood and pretty but formal furnishings throughout (rather un-Westin-like). The rooms themselves were more like the sleeker, modern-er stylings of a Westin property.

The hotel is in a great location only two turns off the 676 expressway (in Philly that's a bonus). Philly is an eminently walkable city, but if you don't want to do that (distance, unfamiliarity), cabs are plentiful. Rittenhouse Square is nearby, and with that so are some of the higher-end restaurants. I highly recommend Steven Starr's Parc from another recent trip.

The king room was pretty large (we were on the Starwood Preferred Member floor, but I don't know if that was why). The accents and the amenities were to be expected in a Westin---plush bathrobe, extensive toiletries and minibar selections, gorgeous TV, safe, etc. But oddly, they offered only one complimentary regular coffee for two people (you could buy the second one if you wanted), and there were no coffee stirrrers the first morning. Also, no morning newspaper greeted us either day.

We did have breakfast in the Winthrop & Valentine Restaurant (even that sounds stuffy, but it's a fabulous take on the names of the two lead characters in a popular Philadelphia-based movie...Google it!). The selections were fine---eggy things, pancakes, oatmeal, etc.), but my hash browns literally tasted like nothing. Not one potato molecule was evident. I was dumbfounded as to how this was possible. My egg/turkey/chpiotle salsa wrap was otherwise good. Two breakfasts with tax & tip were over $50. Yeah. Had drinks in the same restaurant bar Thursday night. Pretty busy with a lively crowd (escaped from family!). Our bartender lady was very friendly and chatted with everyone. And the Manhattans were well made.

The staff that we did encounter was pleasant and helpful, as needed. Cheery, as opposed to prim and proper. I like cheery.

I am a Starwood member and love Westin hotels (Heavenly Beds!). This one was very nice (as they all should be), but as I mentioned, there were a few really basic things that were off. But for our purposes---a crashpad, for the most part---it got our long weekend off to a great start.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Daveb:

Thank you for taking time to write a review, we are happy that you chose us opposed to the other options available to you on the Priceline website!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed all of our Westin Heavenly Bed and Bath products while you were here, in addition to our bar!

I apologize for the hash-browns, I have showed your critique to our kitchen so they may adjust the problem!

Thank you again, and we hope that you choose us for your annual trip next Thanksgiving!

798 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a speedy check-in, and got some apple cider near the reception desk, which was nice! We both like the heavenly bed, and the room was nice and clean. They only had enough coffee for 1 person though, but oh well. We were having a pretty good stay at the hotel, and I was bored one morning and asked guest services to send workout clothes and shoes (part of their "westin workout" problem) so I could use their fitness center. The fitness center is small but clean and adequate, and the locker room was gorgeous! The floors were all marble or carpet, with wooden lockers, clean towels, and a small, clean sauna. The shoes and clothes they sent were new New Balance and really comfy. I'm thinking of buying a pair of those shoes now.

We unfortunately ended up with a plumbing issue in our bathroom on our last night around midnight. We called service express and they sent up an engineer right away. The engineer took care of the problem and then had hotel reception switch us to a new room down the hall. The engineer also brought us new room keys, so we didn't have to go down to the reception desk. The staff was really professional and quick and efficient at the sign of any problem, so in less than 10 minutes, we were in a new room watching tv in bed like nothing had happened. Upon checking out, I found out they didn't charge me for the workout gear as a courtesy.

Overall, the Westin was a really comfortable, friendly, professional hotel in a great location. The staff was extremely attentive and the room was lovely. The staff bent over backwards to make your stay stress free -- we'll definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: All the standard rooms are the same -- it's the middle of the city, so no real views anywhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Plural:

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review, we are always delighted to provide such service that you have mentioned!

We apologize that you had a plumbing issue during your stay, and are thrilled that you were pleased with our response! In addition if you notice that there is not enough coffee in your room please simply dial "0" and ask the Service Express agent to have more brought up to you!

Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We came up for marathon and stayed the weekend. We stayed in a suite which was very spacious. The master bath was huge with a separate shower and tub, and the heavenly bed once again did not disappoint. The pullout was far from a heavenly bed but gives you space for another person if you need. The hotel itself has an elegant feel to it with nice couches and a fireplace in the lobby area. The gym has a good number of treadmills and a small weight area but big enough to get in a good workout. The area itself is walking distance to all of the good shopping and restaurants of Rittenhouse Square. Overall the Westin did not disappoint.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
YankeeTravels:

We are so glad that you enjoyed the amenities that the Westin Philly has to offer, we hope that you will return soon!
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Decent hotel in the heart of center city near all major businesses and great restaurants - a bit annoying that you need to take one elevator to the lobby and a different elevator to the room - nice marble bathrooms but rooms are a little small - flat screen hd tv was a plus but beds were a bit narrow

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Traveltime:

Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We apologize that you found our lobby areas inconvenient, they were built with guest security in mind!

We hope to see you again soon!
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked a single night stay during the weekend for a girls night out and my birthday, and was able to get a very good price on the room, or so I had thought. Upon driving up, I was greeted by the valet attended and was given 2 different options for parking; $36 to self park, or $49 to valet my car...ouch, (strike #1). I chose to self park, but given the complexity of the underground garage, found myself at the exit of which I would have had to pay to get out just to turn around to get right back in. Thankfully there was a parking office right there, went in, spoke with the attendant who voided my ticket to get out free, and gave me instructions/directions on where to properly park. By the time I drove out of the garage I was already frustrated so I decided to valet my car instead; much easier obviously and the valet attendants were overly zealous to help you. Finally getting to the check in desk, I was happily greeted again and the check in process began. Shortly thereafter I was unfortunately notified that my 2-double bed room was not ready yet, at 5:15pm in the evening, (strike #2). The concierge was overly apologetic, and offered to give me a single king bed room with a rollaway, which I declined. I opted to wait for the room to be ready in the lobby, to which the concierge was very accomodating and kept me updated every few minutes while I patiently waited, and then offered me 2 free drink (alchoholic, that is) vouchers in their restaurant and said if I or my friend needed anymore, to please come ask him, (hey sounds good to me!). Shortly after 6pm my room was finally ready, and a different concierge came to get my payment information rather than have me get up to come to the check in desk again, which I thought was rather nice. Finally making it to the room, it was very clean with minimal wear and tear for its age (which I did not think was a big deal at all like other reviewers had remarked on), and the beds were super comfortable and plush. Strike #3 was due to the fact that there is no continental breakfast or wifi access included in the price of the room, both you had to pay for separately. Despite getting a good price for the room, I felt like there was a lot of "nickel and diming" for the items that are normally included at other hotels. BUT, given the location of the the Westin in Philly, it was still a great price for the stay. All of the staff there were very friendly and helpful and felt that they went out of the way for you. I would like to stay there again, but will book a package next time that they have through their website that includes the parking and other extras for a cheaper price than paying separately. Despite stated hiccups, I overall had a pleasant experience and was happy that I chose the Westin for my first stay in City Center.

Kim:

I want to apologize for your parking issues! We do not have the convenience of owning the parking lot that we use! That to is why the pricing on the parking is so incredibly high, and once again i must apologize for that.

We certainly don't want you to feel that we are nickle and diming you in any way, we have brought up your concerns with our GM for review.

Thank you for your kind words concerning our staff, we will be sure to pass those along, and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in a king bed deluxe room on the 10th floor with a view of the rooftops of other buildings. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean but the direct tv cable kept going out and the bathroom amenities were sparce. The location is great if you are taking a taxi or walking. Parking is a nightmare and rediculously high at $49 per night. If you park between 5-9am and leave between 3-7pm the same day the cost in $23. If you park between 5-9am and leave before 3pm the same day you pay $30. Late Hotel check out is at 1pm. The hotel is connected to a mall which is convenient to shop or eat at the food court. Overall, for the average quality of the room for the price I would only stay again if it was offered at a significant discount.

Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a good experience during our brief stay at the hotel. My only complaint is that I had booked a 2 beds and they had reserved 1 bed under my reservation. Luckily they let us check in an hour early and all they had available at that time were rooms with 2 beds. I'm not sure why they thought I reserved 1 bed. I even called to confirm that I needed 2 beds. Other than that, the room was very nice with very comfy beds. I checked Bed Bug Registry and there were no reports filed there. That was the number one criteria for picking the hotel in addition to the good reviews and location. I checked the beds and found no signs of bed bugs which was good. One of the mattresses even had an encasement around it. The comforters were very heavy -- maybe too heavy as it kept us a little too warm. The bathrooms were spacious and they even provided bathrobes. The room was so nice that we wished we were able to spend more time in the room to enjoy it, but we were only in town for 1 night and spent the day sightseeing and went to dinner at night. The location was pretty good - not too far from the train station, a couple of blocks from Comcast Center, and a Starbucks and Corner Bakery nearby.

Room Tip: Call several times to make sure your reservation is correct and that your room has the correcct numb...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!