“Lovely spot near Rittenhouse Square” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #32 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Lovely spot near Rittenhouse Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We came up for marathon and stayed the weekend. We stayed in a suite which was very spacious. The master bath was huge with a separate shower and tub, and the heavenly bed once again did not disappoint. The pullout was far from a heavenly bed but gives you space for another person if you need. The hotel itself has an elegant feel to it with nice couches and a fireplace in the lobby area. The gym has a good number of treadmills and a small weight area but big enough to get in a good workout. The area itself is walking distance to all of the good shopping and restaurants of Rittenhouse Square. Overall the Westin did not disappoint.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
YankeeTravels:

We are so glad that you enjoyed the amenities that the Westin Philly has to offer, we hope that you will return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Decent hotel in the heart of center city near all major businesses and great restaurants - a bit annoying that you need to take one elevator to the lobby and a different elevator to the room - nice marble bathrooms but rooms are a little small - flat screen hd tv was a plus but beds were a bit narrow

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Traveltime:

Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We apologize that you found our lobby areas inconvenient, they were built with guest security in mind!

We hope to see you again soon!
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked a single night stay during the weekend for a girls night out and my birthday, and was able to get a very good price on the room, or so I had thought. Upon driving up, I was greeted by the valet attended and was given 2 different options for parking; $36 to self park, or $49 to valet my car...ouch, (strike #1). I chose to self park, but given the complexity of the underground garage, found myself at the exit of which I would have had to pay to get out just to turn around to get right back in. Thankfully there was a parking office right there, went in, spoke with the attendant who voided my ticket to get out free, and gave me instructions/directions on where to properly park. By the time I drove out of the garage I was already frustrated so I decided to valet my car instead; much easier obviously and the valet attendants were overly zealous to help you. Finally getting to the check in desk, I was happily greeted again and the check in process began. Shortly thereafter I was unfortunately notified that my 2-double bed room was not ready yet, at 5:15pm in the evening, (strike #2). The concierge was overly apologetic, and offered to give me a single king bed room with a rollaway, which I declined. I opted to wait for the room to be ready in the lobby, to which the concierge was very accomodating and kept me updated every few minutes while I patiently waited, and then offered me 2 free drink (alchoholic, that is) vouchers in their restaurant and said if I or my friend needed anymore, to please come ask him, (hey sounds good to me!). Shortly after 6pm my room was finally ready, and a different concierge came to get my payment information rather than have me get up to come to the check in desk again, which I thought was rather nice. Finally making it to the room, it was very clean with minimal wear and tear for its age (which I did not think was a big deal at all like other reviewers had remarked on), and the beds were super comfortable and plush. Strike #3 was due to the fact that there is no continental breakfast or wifi access included in the price of the room, both you had to pay for separately. Despite getting a good price for the room, I felt like there was a lot of "nickel and diming" for the items that are normally included at other hotels. BUT, given the location of the the Westin in Philly, it was still a great price for the stay. All of the staff there were very friendly and helpful and felt that they went out of the way for you. I would like to stay there again, but will book a package next time that they have through their website that includes the parking and other extras for a cheaper price than paying separately. Despite stated hiccups, I overall had a pleasant experience and was happy that I chose the Westin for my first stay in City Center.

Kim:

I want to apologize for your parking issues! We do not have the convenience of owning the parking lot that we use! That to is why the pricing on the parking is so incredibly high, and once again i must apologize for that.

We certainly don't want you to feel that we are nickle and diming you in any way, we have brought up your concerns with our GM for review.

Thank you for your kind words concerning our staff, we will be sure to pass those along, and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in a king bed deluxe room on the 10th floor with a view of the rooftops of other buildings. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean but the direct tv cable kept going out and the bathroom amenities were sparce. The location is great if you are taking a taxi or walking. Parking is a nightmare and rediculously high at $49 per night. If you park between 5-9am and leave between 3-7pm the same day the cost in $23. If you park between 5-9am and leave before 3pm the same day you pay $30. Late Hotel check out is at 1pm. The hotel is connected to a mall which is convenient to shop or eat at the food court. Overall, for the average quality of the room for the price I would only stay again if it was offered at a significant discount.

Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a good experience during our brief stay at the hotel. My only complaint is that I had booked a 2 beds and they had reserved 1 bed under my reservation. Luckily they let us check in an hour early and all they had available at that time were rooms with 2 beds. I'm not sure why they thought I reserved 1 bed. I even called to confirm that I needed 2 beds. Other than that, the room was very nice with very comfy beds. I checked Bed Bug Registry and there were no reports filed there. That was the number one criteria for picking the hotel in addition to the good reviews and location. I checked the beds and found no signs of bed bugs which was good. One of the mattresses even had an encasement around it. The comforters were very heavy -- maybe too heavy as it kept us a little too warm. The bathrooms were spacious and they even provided bathrobes. The room was so nice that we wished we were able to spend more time in the room to enjoy it, but we were only in town for 1 night and spent the day sightseeing and went to dinner at night. The location was pretty good - not too far from the train station, a couple of blocks from Comcast Center, and a Starbucks and Corner Bakery nearby.

Room Tip: Call several times to make sure your reservation is correct and that your room has the correcct numb...
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Working for a company that is based in the MainLine means staying at the Westin Philadelphia quite often. I really can't complain because this place has quickly been a second home to me. I have an amazing stay there every time. I get top notch customer service from Chris at the front desk to James in the restaurant. James is the role model of great hospitality. I am seriously contemplating moving to Philly full time just so I can live at the Westin.

I understand that one of the most common complaints is the travel time between the rooms to the parking garage. While I know it is a bit of a convenience, I would like to point out that it is an extra level of security. Even though the Westin Philadelphia is in one of the best neighborhoods in Philly, there is still a need to be cautious. I think it's really worth the extra couple of minutes to have that peace of mind.

One of the extra perks of this hotel is that you can rent gym clothes. I haven't tried it yet (more because I haven't been working out nearly as much as I should be), but it seems like a really smart idea. Also, you can run to the Art Museum, around it, and back to make a three-mile loop. They have running maps there and the guys in the valet will also be more than happy to guide you in the right direction.

Great customer service, perfect location, and heavenly beds and showers. What more could you really ask for?

Room Tip: The hotel is in the middle of the city so don't be picky about the view, you'll see building...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
MissVu:

Thank you again for your wonderful review! We are thrilled that you continue to stay with us! On a personal note, I too enjoy our running route. Some staff will use it after work!

See You Soon!
On the road again
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Starting with the rather uneducated front desk staff with such poor penmanship they wrote the number on the card so poorly I could not read it. Then the key did not work until the third trip to the front desk as apparently there is some kind of glitch with the doors and the locks interacting, the only place in the world this ever happened. The Concierge was great but be should not have to leave his post to show a guest how to juggle a door to make it work that is quite ridiculous. Old Hotel Starting to look a bit long in the teeth. As a person who travels the world this is the highest price parking I ever experienced to the point of gouging the guests. Simply because you can get away with it does not make it right. Simply put I will not be back and I am a Platinum SPG member. In some cases I am starting to wonder if Starwood is asleep at the switch with the Westin brand as in some ways they are clueless what travelers today want in a hotel. And the famous sleeper bed was all mushed out in suite 1524 the beds are not made to last forever this one is all saggy and uncomfortable. Thanks but never again.

Room Tip: Best to find a better value hotel, this one needs a total rehab!
DoctorVonCueBall:

We appreciate you taking time to write a review, despite your less ten satisfactory experience. We do have some renovation projects in mind and I would invite you to personally tell me which areas of the Hotel you feel that need the most improvement.

We will share your criticisms with our front desk staff as a training tool.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact me at lapasquini@westinphila.com

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!