“Wished we had more time to enjoy the room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #29 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, D.C.
“Wished we had more time to enjoy the room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a good experience during our brief stay at the hotel. My only complaint is that I had booked a 2 beds and they had reserved 1 bed under my reservation. Luckily they let us check in an hour early and all they had available at that time were rooms with 2 beds. I'm not sure why they thought I reserved 1 bed. I even called to confirm that I needed 2 beds. Other than that, the room was very nice with very comfy beds. I checked Bed Bug Registry and there were no reports filed there. That was the number one criteria for picking the hotel in addition to the good reviews and location. I checked the beds and found no signs of bed bugs which was good. One of the mattresses even had an encasement around it. The comforters were very heavy -- maybe too heavy as it kept us a little too warm. The bathrooms were spacious and they even provided bathrobes. The room was so nice that we wished we were able to spend more time in the room to enjoy it, but we were only in town for 1 night and spent the day sightseeing and went to dinner at night. The location was pretty good - not too far from the train station, a couple of blocks from Comcast Center, and a Starbucks and Corner Bakery nearby.

Room Tip: Call several times to make sure your reservation is correct and that your room has the correcct numb...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

795 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Working for a company that is based in the MainLine means staying at the Westin Philadelphia quite often. I really can't complain because this place has quickly been a second home to me. I have an amazing stay there every time. I get top notch customer service from Chris at the front desk to James in the restaurant. James is the role model of great hospitality. I am seriously contemplating moving to Philly full time just so I can live at the Westin.

I understand that one of the most common complaints is the travel time between the rooms to the parking garage. While I know it is a bit of a convenience, I would like to point out that it is an extra level of security. Even though the Westin Philadelphia is in one of the best neighborhoods in Philly, there is still a need to be cautious. I think it's really worth the extra couple of minutes to have that peace of mind.

One of the extra perks of this hotel is that you can rent gym clothes. I haven't tried it yet (more because I haven't been working out nearly as much as I should be), but it seems like a really smart idea. Also, you can run to the Art Museum, around it, and back to make a three-mile loop. They have running maps there and the guys in the valet will also be more than happy to guide you in the right direction.

Great customer service, perfect location, and heavenly beds and showers. What more could you really ask for?

Room Tip: The hotel is in the middle of the city so don't be picky about the view, you'll see building...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
MissVu:

Thank you again for your wonderful review! We are thrilled that you continue to stay with us! On a personal note, I too enjoy our running route. Some staff will use it after work!

See You Soon!
On the road again
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Starting with the rather uneducated front desk staff with such poor penmanship they wrote the number on the card so poorly I could not read it. Then the key did not work until the third trip to the front desk as apparently there is some kind of glitch with the doors and the locks interacting, the only place in the world this ever happened. The Concierge was great but be should not have to leave his post to show a guest how to juggle a door to make it work that is quite ridiculous. Old Hotel Starting to look a bit long in the teeth. As a person who travels the world this is the highest price parking I ever experienced to the point of gouging the guests. Simply because you can get away with it does not make it right. Simply put I will not be back and I am a Platinum SPG member. In some cases I am starting to wonder if Starwood is asleep at the switch with the Westin brand as in some ways they are clueless what travelers today want in a hotel. And the famous sleeper bed was all mushed out in suite 1524 the beds are not made to last forever this one is all saggy and uncomfortable. Thanks but never again.

Room Tip: Best to find a better value hotel, this one needs a total rehab!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DoctorVonCueBall:

We appreciate you taking time to write a review, despite your less ten satisfactory experience. We do have some renovation projects in mind and I would invite you to personally tell me which areas of the Hotel you feel that need the most improvement.

We will share your criticisms with our front desk staff as a training tool.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact me at lapasquini@westinphila.com
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I am currently staying at the Westin Philadelphia and I'm not a happy camper!

No hot water this morning - cold showers remind me of camping out in the wild and not of what is supposed to be an average hotel. Also, the room service cart that my dinner was delivered on was filthy, covered in crusted food waste and a spilled drink. Wi-Fi is limited to a single device and billed at $13.86.

To add insult to injury, no one picked up the "service express phone" when I called to complain at 7:15 this morning, there's clearly room for improvement here...

I am disappointed!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Jaimo:

I am terribly sorry for all of the issues that you have been going through, and i apologize on behalf of our Service Express department that you were unable to reach anyone!

As far as our internet pricing is concerned, we unfortunately do not set pricing. Our corporate headquarters gives up the orders on that!

Please, I invite you to e-mail me so we may react to your unhappiness while you are still in-house! My e-mail is lapasquini@wstinphila.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Westin while traveling on business. The hotel is very nice and clean. The rooms are a good size and the beds are extemely comfortable. The only negative Is that the parking is pretty expensive and it is not that easy to get from the parking garage to the lobby and then up to your room. You have to take a couple of sets of elevators and it adds an extra 10 minutes into your time just to get to your car. Other than that we really enjoyed the hotel. It is in a great location right in the center of Philadelphia.

• Stayed November 2012
September:

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, Heavenly Beds are just one of the "Heavenly Amenities" we have here at the Westin!

I apologize that you found our parking expensive, we unfortunately have no control over the pricing as we do not own the lot!

Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon!
Orland Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was shocked at how rude many of the hotel staff, especially the bell men, were to my husband and me. I can't even begin to describe the complete disregard they had for their guests. When we arrived and got out of the car no one offered to take our bags even though they were standing right there staring at us.

When checking in I was told they couldn't help me for a while because they were busy and besides no one had checked out yet. Finally after about 10 minutes of waiting at the counter the front desk receptionist said she could pre-register us but we would have to come back later to get a room. I asked if they could call when a room was ready, which they never did. I then asked if the restaurant was open for lunch and was told I should go to a Marathon Grill down the street instead of eating their because it was better. Then we had to bring our bags back to the 1st floor to chase down a bell man, which took over 15 minutes to receive help. Also for some reason the bell man didn't want to put a tag on our bags and I had to repeatedly ask them to put a tag on the bags. He finally put it on one of the bags but not the other.

Upon our return several hours later we were finally given a room. However, by then the bell men lost the bag that didn't have a tag on it. After waiting and having to describe not only the bag but the bell man that took the bag did they find it. We were given a free breakfast as an apology and thought that things were improving. However upon check out the problem with the bell men started again. We had to chase down a bell man to only be basically yelled at that he wasn't going to help us and to go to the desk on the 1st floor for help. I stated that no one was at the desk and the sign said to go to him. In a loud tone toward me he stated that I should have looked behind the door because someone was there and then he walked away from me. I felt like I was being reprimanded and had to go back downstairs and yes I found a bell man on the phone behind a door.

On another note the bartender was great! He not only remembered you and treated you respectfully. He also remembered what you were drinking from the night before. A complete change from the other experiences we had!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
BarbMoran:

I truly apologize that your experience with our Front Door/Desk staff was undesirable, I assure you this is not a typical experience and we regret that you were made to feel this way. This review has been shared with our Front Office Director, Steve Henry to assure that situations such as this don't happen again!

I must say that where as I do enjoy Marathon Grill, our restaurant Winthorpe and Valentine is tasty as well! They are open for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Bar Menu. I am delighted that you were able to have a good experience at our bar and invite you to further discuss your stay with me at lapasquini@westinphila.com

Thank You for your Review!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed at the Philly Westin several times, and have had nothing but positive experiences. The hotel is pretty and clean, the rooms are well appointed and comfortable, and the staff is incredibly service oriented. Kudos to the staff and management for a job well done.

• Stayed October 2012
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Ilovebasevall:

What a wondeful review, thank you so much for your kind words!

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!