“Very comfortable beds!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very comfortable beds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Westin while traveling on business. The hotel is very nice and clean. The rooms are a good size and the beds are extemely comfortable. The only negative Is that the parking is pretty expensive and it is not that easy to get from the parking garage to the lobby and then up to your room. You have to take a couple of sets of elevators and it adds an extra 10 minutes into your time just to get to your car. Other than that we really enjoyed the hotel. It is in a great location right in the center of Philadelphia.

• Stayed November 2012
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
September:

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, Heavenly Beds are just one of the "Heavenly Amenities" we have here at the Westin!

I apologize that you found our parking expensive, we unfortunately have no control over the pricing as we do not own the lot!

Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Orland Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was shocked at how rude many of the hotel staff, especially the bell men, were to my husband and me. I can't even begin to describe the complete disregard they had for their guests. When we arrived and got out of the car no one offered to take our bags even though they were standing right there staring at us.

When checking in I was told they couldn't help me for a while because they were busy and besides no one had checked out yet. Finally after about 10 minutes of waiting at the counter the front desk receptionist said she could pre-register us but we would have to come back later to get a room. I asked if they could call when a room was ready, which they never did. I then asked if the restaurant was open for lunch and was told I should go to a Marathon Grill down the street instead of eating their because it was better. Then we had to bring our bags back to the 1st floor to chase down a bell man, which took over 15 minutes to receive help. Also for some reason the bell man didn't want to put a tag on our bags and I had to repeatedly ask them to put a tag on the bags. He finally put it on one of the bags but not the other.

Upon our return several hours later we were finally given a room. However, by then the bell men lost the bag that didn't have a tag on it. After waiting and having to describe not only the bag but the bell man that took the bag did they find it. We were given a free breakfast as an apology and thought that things were improving. However upon check out the problem with the bell men started again. We had to chase down a bell man to only be basically yelled at that he wasn't going to help us and to go to the desk on the 1st floor for help. I stated that no one was at the desk and the sign said to go to him. In a loud tone toward me he stated that I should have looked behind the door because someone was there and then he walked away from me. I felt like I was being reprimanded and had to go back downstairs and yes I found a bell man on the phone behind a door.

On another note the bartender was great! He not only remembered you and treated you respectfully. He also remembered what you were drinking from the night before. A complete change from the other experiences we had!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
BarbMoran:

I truly apologize that your experience with our Front Door/Desk staff was undesirable, I assure you this is not a typical experience and we regret that you were made to feel this way. This review has been shared with our Front Office Director, Steve Henry to assure that situations such as this don't happen again!

I must say that where as I do enjoy Marathon Grill, our restaurant Winthorpe and Valentine is tasty as well! They are open for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Bar Menu. I am delighted that you were able to have a good experience at our bar and invite you to further discuss your stay with me at lapasquini@westinphila.com

Thank You for your Review!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed at the Philly Westin several times, and have had nothing but positive experiences. The hotel is pretty and clean, the rooms are well appointed and comfortable, and the staff is incredibly service oriented. Kudos to the staff and management for a job well done.

• Stayed October 2012
Lauren P, Manager at Westin Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Ilovebasevall:

What a wondeful review, thank you so much for your kind words!
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I traveled to Philadelphia for a conference and stayed here for a week with my wife. We both really liked the hotel. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable, though my one quibble is that there are no available outlets near the nightstands to charge a cellphone. Internet was included in our conference rate and faster than most hotels I've stayed at (even other Westin properties). The gym is small, but sufficient and was basically a ghost town while we were there, which made for a comfortable workout for my wife and I. The facility looks older, but still quite classy and generally well maintained. The surrounding area is convenient to shopping and some amazing restaurants not to be missed. Staff is very friendly and helpful, basically across the board. Of special note, the concierges were some of the best I've dealt with; Gerri was especially helpful.

In short, I liked the hotel and the area provided sufficient entertainment for my wife while I was away. As an aside, if traveling with small children, I might choose a different place as there would be little for them to do within short walking distance.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DC Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here in order to visit the Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibit at Franklin Museum in early October. This is the former Ritz and you can tell because it doesn’t play like a Westin architecturally. Lower lobby entrance and ornate touches with very nice rooms.

Very impressed by the staff. Everyone was professional and helpful. Thoughtfulness was exemplary. Names remembered, little touches, great restaurant suggestions and accurate directions topped off by prompt and courteous service.

Not as high end as some other Philly Hotels but very nice in every way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PX4:

I would like to thank you for taking time to write this lovely review! We are delighted that you were able to stay with us during your visit to the Franklin!

We hope to see you again soon, the Titanic exhibit will be there next!
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This Westin is a former Ritz, which explains some of the more ornate and non-Westin standard features: large lobby featuring a fireplace and wood-paneling, a curiously small check-in desk, and marble vanities in the bathroom. And from the looks of things new management has given up on the upkeep of some of these features. The rest of the experience is standard Westin: comfortable bed, dual shower heads, etc. etc. There's nothing wrong with this place for SPG frequent flyers -- but I'd shop for rates and would consider favorably the Sofitel two blocks away (and much newer) and the Kimpton hotel across from the Sofitel. For equal money all offer similar levels of convenience and more modern facilities. Location in Center City (and a 20 minute walk from the main Amtrak station and 10 mins from Rittenhouse Square) was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Plano, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is one of those Westin hotels that has you scracthing your head. It does not "look" like a Westin and in many cases does not feel like a Starwood property. The location is wonderful, which is why I stayed here for this business trip. The rates were fair as well. I really liked being able to walk around to get where I needed to be.

As far as the hotel goes, it's clear that this hotel was originally built to be a Ritz Carlton. The carrera marble and wood paneled treatment was very Ritz. I was told that the hotel was built to be a Ritz, transition to A st. Regis for a short time and has been a Weston now for many years. That not a positive or negative -- just a note that when you walk into the lobby expecting Westin, you may feel a little disoriented.

The hotel was functional and efficient, with friendly and helpful staff. My only issue is thhat the room (specifically the bathroom) was les sthan clean. if you look at the photos I am posting, you will note that the bed was made up so lumpy that when I first entered the room, I was not sure it had been made up yet. It just looked like someone had just climbed out of bed. In the bath, the showerbordered on being really dishgusting. The shower head was very "cruddy" and the tub floor just black. Given I was in for a 1 day trip, it was ok, but dirty enough that I think I would look around again if I was back in central Philly in the near future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!