“Beautiful hotel, wonderful people.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Philadelphia

You added Westin Philadelphia to your Saves list
Westin Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 South 17th St at Liberty Place, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, GA
“Beautiful hotel, wonderful people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This time I was traveling for business and needed a hotel close to my meetings. The Westin, a chain I always enjoy, was walking distance. From the minute I drove my rental car into the motor lobby, I knew I was in the right place. The staff was helpful (recommending self-park instead of valet, as it was cheaper ($36 overnight self, $49 valet)), and gently assisting me with my bags. The lobby is one floor up, and there I was greeted by a wonderful front desk associate, Ryan Thomas, who got me just what I needed - a quiet room with good work space. And he did it with a sense of humor and a smile. When it was raining later, and I wanted to run down the street to the very convenient Rite-Aid, the concierge was ready and offered to get me an umbrella. I later met my client at the bar, and it is gorgeous. A great place to meet up for a drink (I didn't have one, so I cannot comment on the bar staff) and a chat. My room service meal (turkey blt) was so-so, but the waitress who brought it was delightful and thoughtful. And, in the morning, when I was ready to check out, Karim made it quick and easy. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stay in over 50 hotels a year... and they are usually disappointing on some level. Not this one. The hotel is well located, the rooms are updated and fresh, the bed is comfy... and the staff is excellent! Barbara and the crew seem to actually care about the guest experience.

Check-in was quick and friendly. The refrigerator I requested for the room appeared in about 10 minutes. My room service order was not only delicious (the best steak salad I've had in years), but arrived in about 15 minutes... and they called to make sure everything was ok. Wow. I needed to borrow a pair of scissors in the middle of the night and those took about 5 minutes to appear (I'm used to having to trek down to the front desk in my PJs for stuff like that). Fast, accurate, friendly - and the staff doesn't stand there with their hand out for a tip. I practically had to chase a few folks down the hall to give one. Refreshing change.

My only minor ding would be parking - they should be able to work out a better deal for self parking, considering most other hotels in the neighborhood discount parking in the exact same garage, and the garage is physically connected to the Westin.

I know I'm not doing this hotel justice in this review. Most of my hotel stays are "just fine", this one is at a whole different level - because of the staff. They actually care. I actually felt moved to say "thank you" at check out. Nothing is over the top - but it is so rare to find a hotel today that doesn't fail at something (funny smell in rooms, long line at checkin, disgusting room service, dirty bathroom, etc .) I will absolutely go out of my way to stay again in the near future.

san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is a nice hotel in a very good location. Staff seems to have many greater priorities than clients. I was almost run over in the hallway by someone with a cart. The bar staff was indifferent. The calamari was poor. The menu was restricted for a "restaurant week" and was very un-enticing. It seemed like an imposition to get a seat in the restaurant. I may return because the location is convenient but I am not returning for the service.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

well, it's a westin...so you expect the nice decor, courteous staff, awesome bed & shower, clean and large rooms. the pleasant surprises on our weekend trip to philly were the extremely competetive pricing and superb service at the hotel. riding the elevator down from our room, we were still trying to decide which sights to see (and when). saw a gentleman at the concierge desk and swung by to chat a sec. best decision of the day. richard asked our interests and in a matter of seconds he had our trip planned, marked on the map, and sent us on our way. next day. stopped by to thank richard and get a rec on lunch. best decision of the trip! you'll have to ask him yourself but i'll say that pat and gino are now 2nd tier for me. all in all, great proof that an organization's greatest asset is its people. thanks again to richard and all the staff for a great stay...see you next time!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocean County, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Recently returned from a one stay at the Westin - Philadelphia. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the city of Philadelphia. Upon check-in, I was upgraded from a standard room to a suite at no-charge as same was available. The valet and reception staff were both very professional and helpful. The hotel was very clean, and the amenities were superb. The hotel also has a small gym at no charge which contains sufficient equipment for a good work-out. Westin's heavenly bed is in fact, heavenly. Finally, kudos to the cleaning crew and supervisor that retrieved a couple of items that I inadvertently left behind. I will definetely stay at the Westin again on my next visit to Philadelphia and I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the city of brotherly love.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1402, which was a suite.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Chantilly, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Recent trip to Philly was marred by our disappointing stay at the Westin. On the positive side, the staff, especially the concierge, was very friendly and helpful in helping our family navigate around town. Also, excellent location. Now for some negatives...completely empty minibar (and I mean completely empty), very very noisy on the 5th floor, wallpaper coming off the walls near the elevator, no gift/sundries shop. When I asked where I could get a can/bottle of diet coke, I was told my only option was the minibar. When I said that my minibar was empty, I was told to walk across the street to the Rite Aid. Not what I would normally expect from a Westin. Finally, when I say it was loud on my floor I mean no one in our room could sleep between 12:30am-3am as a bunch of unruly 25-year olds were constantly making noise, slamming doors, yelling, etc. Finally, be prepared to shell out $50/day for valet parking and $22.50 per adult for the breakfast buffet. When many competitors are offering free breakfasts, this is hardly a value proposition.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday night and were upgraded to a beautiful suite. The location is great The parking in the garage is very expensive. It was a third as much as the room itself.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Westin Philadelphia? Share your experiences!