“Great For Airport, NOT For Visiting Philadelphia” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #60 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
“Great For Airport, NOT For Visiting Philadelphia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here with my dad when we were traveling out of the Philadelphia Airport. My dad got a great deal - $160 for the night (a suite with two bedrooms) and parking the entire time we were gone (6 nights) AND a shuttle to our terminal at the airport. These things made the experience worth it because the hotel itself wasn't so great. I was glad I only had to stay there for less than 12 hours.

The master bedroom was nicely appointed and what I'd expect; the second bedroom was an afterthought. The bed was just on a frame, no head board; the "bed skirt" was just a cleverly-folded flat sheet. There were marks on the walls. You could hear a lot of what was going on in the hallway. There was also no window in the second bedroom, unless you call a window that looks into the hotel itself a window.

We had breakfast at the restaurant in the morning. The food and service were great. That was a nice way to end the stay.

The shuttle to the airport comes every 20 minutes or so. The driver was very courteous and we made it to our flight in plenty of time.

Overall, convenient for what it is - an airport hotel that offers extended parking. I WOULD NOT stay here if I were visiting Philadelphia.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Manhattan Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Chose this property for our one night stay due to its proximity to the airport. Terrible service at the front desk on check in --- waited 25 minutes while 3 people completely ignored everyone in line and made no effort to help out even though there were open computers. Person who checked us in told us they did not have king + double rooms even though that's what we booked on the Sheraton website. (Turns out our room was what we booked - go figure) Also no acknowledgement of SPG status. The room was spacious and good for a family of three --- but in need of some serious maintenance. Peeling paint inside and out of room, marred wallpaper, peeling varnish on marble counter in bathroom, cracked tiles.......needs a lot of work. Outside of building has scaffolding and is apparently under construction. We had a late dinner at Relish in the hotel lobby and while the food was okay/pricey - the service was horribly slow. So much so that we decided not to risk it the next morning for breakfast as we had to get to the airport for our flight. The other issue that arose was an emergency requiring all guests to evacuate the hotel and go outside around 10pm. A fire truck showed up - eventually - and after it left about 25 minutes later - people started shuffling back inside - with NO direction or instruction from management. Not one hotel employee communicated with the guests regarding our safety or gave us direction as to the evacuation. NOT ONE. We had to ask a food service manager what had happened once we went back inside. (Burnt popcorn in a microwave). Completely unacceptable. The only positive thing I can say is that in the morning, the shuttle to the airport was prompt. Will not stay here again and would not recommend it. Not sure how Priceline gives this property 3.5 stars. There are lots of other airport hotel options in the area that are bound to be better than the Sheraton Suites.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is close to the airport. I was alone & the room was huge! 1 bedroom with comfortable bed. Also a livingroom with couch,tv,coffe maker & a frig. I wish i were staying longer. It was clean & quite. The staff were friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We were attending a wedding in the Philadelphia area and decided to stay at the Sheraton suites because they accepted pets and we have a diabetic dog who needs to travel with us. We should've known as we entered the hotel that we were in for a very interesting ride. At check in, there were two very questionable women at the front desk arguing about a reservation that was allegedly made by someone else for them. They looked like what I will call for purposes of this review, "escorts", and the whole situation seemed shady. They were causing a ruckus at the counter and while they were told time and time again they wouldn't be permitted to check in without proper ID, they were never asked to leave due to the commotion.

We finally checked in and went to our room. The room was dark and dingy with a lovely view of scaffolding, yes, scaffolding. The chair in the bedroom was coming apart at the seems. The cover over the AC unit, which appeared to be in the wall, was practically detached. While we were traveling with a pet, and I understand that certain things go along with that such as getting a room that commonly houses pets, I do not expect to have a room with visible stains, presumably from past guests who chose not to walk their dogs, all over the room!! Simply stated, I would not walk around the room without some type of shoe.

We booked a room primarily for convenience as the wedding was pretty close to the airport. We attended the wedding and arrived back at the hotel at 11:30 pm to find yet another dispute occurring in the lobby between the staff and a woman who was inappropriately dressed with her rearend more out of her clothing than in it...she was screaming about wanting her money back and advising that she would tell the police the same thing when they arrived.

The long and short of this story - the room was dark and dirty and the staff do not know how to adequately address issues that arise, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere. We were so dissatisfied with the experience we checked out and drove back home around midnight. Although the rep at the desk apologized when I told her we were checking out early, way early!, her last statement to me was that I was going to be charged the full amount. I thanked her, advised I was aware, and we left to go home to our own bed.

Never again.

• Stayed August 2012
Derry, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Suites near the Philly Airport while in the area for some friends' wedding. We saw some less than flattering reviews about the hotel. But because I had already paid Priceline for the room, I wasn't able to get a refund. So, we went with hope that the room at this 3.5-star hotel would be an unexpected, pleasant surprise. We would use the room only to dress and sleep, as we would get into Philly in the afternoon, go to the wedding in South Jersey, return to the room late, and then need to catch a 7AM train back to Boston the next morning.
When we arrived at the hotel, our check-in was fast and easy. The hotel was large (8 floors) and doing brisk business. The lobby was nice, clean, and modernistically up-to-date. An elevator quickly whisked us up to our room on the 5th floor while we admired the large 8-story atrium restaurant and lounged through the lift's glass rear wall. The hotel was full of people (businessmen, couples, and families with small kids), but they moved along quickly and the place wasn't noisy; probably because it had such a large open atrium with a lot of room. So far, we were impressed. However, our impressions began to falter when we stepped off the elevator on our floor.
The walkway carpet that ringed the open atrium was dingy and loose and bunged up in spots. On the way to our room my wife tripped on this walkway carpet when it shifted under her feet.
The half wall and railing that formed the inside of the walkway and barrier to the atrium seemed a little low and maybe scary for parents with energetic kids. But the atrium was impressive.
When I entered the room, I was pleasantly surprised to see a sitting room fully equipped for work with a nice dark leather sofa, sturdy wood desk, single serve coffee maker, small fridge, comfortable small armchair, and 32" HD TV. (I hadn't realized that Sheraton Suites meant the rooms were suites, not just simple bedrooms.) The carpet in the room was well tacked down, but the sitting room carpet had a large (1 square foot) black stain on it.
The bedroom had a nice king size bed with super clean white linens and comforter. The mattress was also very comfortable. It also had nice circular glass top night stands, a large bureau, and a second (albeit a little smaller) HD TV.
The bathroom was average, but the shower water pressure was good. All in all, the room, and hotel itself, had been constructed as a business class accommodation with nice features and amenities.
Then, as I looked closer at items around the room, my wife and I began to notice signs of aging and lack of proper maintenance. The room's ceiling had a popcorn spray finish that covered the smoke detector. The nice striped wallpaper in the bedroom's back wall was peeling and had marks on it. The wooden furniture had numerous dents and scrapes. A metal plate on the bathroom ceiling had rust showing through its white paint. The cloth Roman blind that provided privacy for the room from the walkway was sticky. I had to fiddle with it to close it. And, the entire back of the hotel (all eight floors) were laced with scaffolding from which a worker could peer into our bedroom's rear window. However, when I drove around the hotel and looked at the huge scaffolding structure, it seemed that it had been there for quite a while and may have been a semi-permanent fixture.
So, we were a little nonplussed with the accommodations, but we wouldn't need the room for long. So, accepted the room for its amenities, washed, ironed our clothes (very good room iron, cover of the full size ironing board was shifty, closet was spacious with nice, dark wood hangers), and left the hotel.
On the way out, in the lobby, we saw that a rain shower had developed outside. So, my wife waited under the entrance awning while I retrieved the rental car. Upon picking her up, she told me that a bellhop had told her that the hotel didn't allow guests to bring in cakes. She had been holding a large gift box that said "Macy's" on it. (Macy's is a department store. I don't believe that it sells cakes.) Inside were towels that were gifts for the bride and groom. Furthermore, she hadn't been walking into the hotel. She had been clearly waiting for someone to pick her up. She had then told the bellhop that the box contained towels, not a cake. But, he repeated that the hotel's policy was to prohibit cakes. At this point, she had become miffed that he hadn't listened to her. She had then repeated herself, to which the employee responded that he was just doing his job. In the end, she felt that the employee had needlessly harassed her and then that he was too recalcitrant to admit his mistaken assumption. This was not a high water mark for the hotel's customer service.
Upon returning late at night, we brought a few water bottles up to the room to cool in the fridge. When I opened the fridge, I was surprised by a visitor; a single, good-size COCKROACH. I was shocked, but he was startled by the sudden light. So, he scurried away under the fridge well ahead of my descending hand. I missed him. I inspected the rest of the suite for his cousins, but found nothing. My wife, now thoroughly disgusted, but too tired to put up a fight, thoroughly inspected our bedding for other roaches, but when we couldn't find any, we collapsed and promptly fell asleep. We knew that where there is one bug, there are others, but the room was clean and did not smell of old food, mold, or anything. So, we hoped that we would not encounter any other bug.
The next morning we awoke early, washed, packed (no signs of bugs), and left. On the way out, I dropped the room card keys in a lobby box - easy and fast. However, when we tried to leave the hotel's paid parking lot, the automated pay box told me to pay for parking again after I had already paid the $7 charge at the hotel. When I tried to pay the box with a card, the card reader wouldn't work. We had to get out of the way to let other cars by. Then, a taxi driver told me to buzz the hotel via the box's intercom and tell an attendant to open the gate. I followed his instructions, and after a little waiting, the exit gate just opened. Obviously the hotel has a regular problem with the gate, So, the attendant doesn't even respond to the call. He just releases the gate. Happily, we drove away and made our early train.
In conclusion, while we saw that the hotel had a lot of nice amenities, we recognized that it is in a serious, steep decline due to lack of proper maintenance. We would not stay there again and don't recommend it to anyone until the hotel's appearance, inside and out, is restored to its original state.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Midland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

On the plus side, the lobby is well decorated and the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms are large, comfortable and clean and I appreciate the Starbucks coffee in room. On the downside, I have never been able to get a wireless signal in the room, which should be a must for any hotel catering to business travelers. The breakfast is extremely pricey and VERY slow. I nearly missed my flight waiting for the waitress to bring the check - she just disappeared for over 20 minutes! But the real kicker was being solicited by a prostitute in the bar area. With so many other choices nearby, I don't see any reason to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Newtown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Not sure if they have recently renovated, but our suite was in much better shape than the one we stayed in last year. It had nice a comfortable feel and sleeping was good. It always helps to get a rate of $65 on Priceline. The shuttle was very busy at 4:35 in the morning as it services all 3 Sheraton Hotels on the property. Give yourself some extra time. As was the case last year, the bistro in the atrium lobby serves good food and has about a half dozen beers on tap..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!