“Nice little place, but busy” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Talula's Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 3,720 restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th between Walnut and Locust
Description: Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.
Raleigh
“Nice little place, but busy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were staying around the corner and went here on a Tuesday. Unfortunately, they were fully booked, but we got seats at the bar. Bar guy was very attentive and we didn't have to wait long for the food. Food was good, but I think it was a little pricey for what we got. Ambiance was good and would go again, but be more careful with what I order. Reservations essential.

90% Recommend
Haddonfield, New Jersey
“Good not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The restaurant and outside area are nicely decorated and give off a good vibe. The outside tables are so close you hear the people speaking around you, which I find distracting. The service started slow but got better. I think it comes off a bit pompous and that is reflected in the menu. Every dish is "busy" or complicated and seemed to have one too many ingredients. For example, I ordered foie gras but did not pick up that it is "Torchon" style. All those who know what that means raise your hand - me neither. The liver is pressed in a cheese cloth and served as a cold pate'. It was also very salty. When I expressed my dissatisfaction the manger took it off the bill - nice touch. I also overheard the person next to me tell the waitress that his dinner was not what he expected. My main course was a whole porgy - I still can't believe this fish was above the legal limit. Felt it was overpriced for smallish portions and just ok food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phila area
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was outstanding in every facet. My wife and I have never been to a restaurant that made you feel more welcome and were accommodating to our request. Our server Corey and the general manager Jenny were perfect. We sat down an saw a table that would be better for us, so we asked to move, no problem. They explained the menu so we made choices we would enjoy. The cheese platter was great and again Corey explained every cheese and what to eat it with. We each selected a salad we would like. We both chose fish dishes. My wife the Cod and I picked the Striped Bass. Both our plates were clean when we were done. Then we finished with pressed coffee and these great little donuts. We could have eaten many more.
We will be back.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“overpriced and overrated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Surly waitreses, cold food, poor service and a pompous atmosphere makes this a no go for us to ever return. I don't need to pay a lot of money to be treated poorly and will never return. The food was just OK, not great and completely overrated. How do these Starr restaurants keep raking in all the good reviews when all you pay for is loud crapmed spaces to eat, and just OK overpriced food? Never again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
california
“Thanks trip advisor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We would go back there and/or recommend to others. Nice atmosphere, good food, quality staff. Great cheese plates!