“Not to be missed Cozy Rittenhouse Gastropub with Amazing Service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dandelion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 18th and Sansom
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Not to be missed Cozy Rittenhouse Gastropub with Amazing Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I love the places you go in by chance & they turn out to be the best. This was not completely random- I heard good reviews & even added to our map - but it was far from the top of our list due to the fact we drink primarily Belgians & I wanted to visit a few of my old favorite spots. It was a cold and windy Friday afternoon, we were starving, & we were intrigued by the blue plaque outside. The Dandelion sort of just pulled us in and once inside it kept it's grasp on us all day long!

We started with the flight of cask ales - beers we would otherwise never have tried. However, this Pale Ale, the Bitter - they were so unlike anything we ever had - and this therefore began our journey to new beers. The place was packed for lunch but our preference is always the bar so we headed upstairs (after the hostess so kindly took my suitcase). They have done an amazing job of restoring an old brownstone into such a warm & inviting English pub. The amazing service never stopped. We had a wonderful and friendly bar tender (Kalen if my failing memory serves me correctly) who educated us on Cask Beers. He did a good job of directing us to other new beers, too. (Our favorite was in bottle&we had assumed this was what we would be drinking... but never once did we fall back on our comfortable standards....) We shared some mussels which were the best we had in the city.

As I always say, it is great service that makes a place earn an Excellent Review. It is what keeps you there for just one more drink - And this case I even finished my late afternoon with a Flip - a drink that to me at least was rather daring - & one I would never trust from just any bar nor made by just by any bartender. A level of trust needs to exist. It was only after watching & knowing I was in good hands that I ventured into a drink made with rum, beer, & an egg. Oh how delicious that was. By far, this pub that will be most remembered on that trip! Looking forward to returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vermont
“Oh that bread!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Made a major mistake in ordering a hamburger. The bread they served first was sooo good, I could have made it my meal! But, well, the hamburger was also sensational, as were the hot, crispy fries. Even the coffee was terrific. Very glad The Palomar Hotel included this restaurant on their list.

Visited February 2013
Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA
“Great atmosphere, food & beer experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wanted a moderately priced place in walking distance of the Meridian in Center city and this was the ticket. Great atmosphere! You really feel like you are in an English Pub. Sat at the bar and sampled many of the beers for free. Had the best fish and chips ever. It's just off Rittenhouse Square. Very relaxing and great service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orefield
“Nice Dinner Following show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We saw Oscar Wilde's Ideal Husband at the Walnut and wanted English food. Yes, English Food. A little research on our part found the Dandelion. I had to specifically ask what foie gras was as well as other things, but the experience was worth it.

We had a 5:30 pm dinner reservation and arrived early and were promptly given our table on the second level. There are individual rooms with a lot of, I guess, English character. My wife had a straight chair. I had what I would call a living room chair and while comfortable for a living room was difficult to enjoy while dining. The food is not what I am familiar with however it was served quickly which we appreciated since we had to drive 1 1/2 hours home. The Dandelion salad was excellent. I am glad I tried the liver pate but most likely will not get it again. For dinner, we had the fish and chips which were good but small and the roast beef sandwich. We shared a toffee pudding dessert. Overall, we went for the ambiance and were pleased with our choice. The food was secondary to us but service was excellent, the food was fresh and it was reasonably priced. Overall, a very good experience for us after a couple of hours of Oscar Wilde's wit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not a relaxing experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I visited on a Monday evening for dinner. Although we had a 7:30 reservation, we were asked to wait a few minutes for a table. There was no obvious waiting area so we waited in the middle of the room near the hostess, while trying to make room for the waiters to get around us. After about 5 minutes, we were taken upstairs to our table. I should have requested another table when I saw the two young children sitting at the next table, but I didn't. (Why do people bring their young children to such places at that hour?)

In any event, we waited for ten or more minutes without menus or any sort of acknowledgment that we were there. When the waiter finally arrived, he didn't introduce himself so I didn't know if he was there just for our drink orders or what. But he took our drink and meal orders and then disappeared. We saw other tables with bread baskets and after our drinks arrived, my husband asked our seldom-seen waiter if we could get some bread too. We eventually got bread and then our meals eventually also arrived. My shepherds' pie was okay; I had been concerned with whether or not the lamb in the pie would smell strongly, but the waiter was right and it wasn't.

All throughout this time, my head was spinning as waiters and servers dashed back and forth, back and forth (my back was to the wall so I could see them constantly dashing about). In addition, we heard at least two plates crash to the floor during our visit. Finally, the baby at the next table was crying off and on. The other child made himself comfortable and lay down (well it was his bed time, right??) on the bench along the wall, where I also happened to be seated.

Despite all this, I ordered a dessert and decaf coffee. The dessert arrived, but no coffee. When I asked the server about the coffee he said he would check on it. The manager then came by to verify that I wanted coffee. The dessert and coffee were good, no complaints there. When we asked for the check, the waiter must have mentally clocked out by then; we literally had to ask 3 times for the check.

I'm glad we tried out this place, but the frenzied atmosphere and long wait times will deter me from another visit.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere