“Percy Street BBQ on South St- a very pleasant dining experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Percy Street Barbecue

Percy Street Barbecue
900 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147 (City Center East)
215-625-8510
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Percy Street Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Percy & South Streets
Description: Percy Street Barbecue features dry-rubbed brisket, ribs & chicken. Meats are wood-smoked in our authentic barbecue pits & served with classic sides. A full service bar offers 100+ craft beer cans, bourbon, cocktails & a vintage jukebox. Eat in or take out. Now open for lunch on Saturday and Sunday!
Chicago
“Percy Street BBQ on South St- a very pleasant dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our family decided to try a BBQ place in Philly and opted for Percy St (even though it's on South St . . go figure?) based on positive reviews. After the requisite 10-15 mins of trying to find parking- the nightmare that it is all over Philly(not sure how people stand it), we got to the the restaurant. Were seated right away.

The place has a fairly comfortable atmosphere to it- very open seating area with high ceilings, lots of activity. There were four of us so we each ordered something different, ribs, pulled pork, chicken and brisket and we kind of sampled them all. You can order a sampler of the same served family style, but ordering the 4 entrees was cheaper and just the right amount of food for us. They serve the BBQ sauce in small little shot bottles which we thought wouldn't be enough. But it was actually adequate. For dessert, we went for the pecan pie which was really excellent.

Overall, Percy St is a nice option if seeking a neighborhood type restaurant and are in the mood for decent BBQ.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

North Plainfield, New Jersey
“Blah-B-Q”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

On an impromptu Sunday visit, we were greeted by a hostess & sat at a table that donned an informal appearance. Unfortunately, a vinyl cover on a cheap wobbly table, still makes for a cheap wobbly table. The presentation of red cloth napkins seemed more out of place than the lack of silverware, but I suppose that's partially a style choice. The rest of the well manicured decor was not indicative of a "BBQ Joint", so the lack of effort on what might be the second most important item in a restaurant, didn't come off as endearing. It appeared as lazy, uninvested & confused.

We were handed an extensive drink list & told that our server would be with us shortly. Roughly 10 minutes later, I flagged down a server (who had passed us several times). She gave me a nod & proceeded to walk away. I stopped her, asking for a menu & drinks, also to confirm she was our server. She obliged, confirmed, & hurried off to tables of people who had been sat during our preceding wait time. It seemed likely they were understaffed this afternoon, however with a quick glance around the dining room, just slightly more than 1/2 the tables were occupied (1/2 of them, already finished with their meals).

After making our selections, I flagged down our server again. She took our food orders & said it would be a moment. Prep time was normal. Upon delivery, I asked for silverware & had to stop her from leaving to again place our drink orders. She came back with bbq sauces & silverware. I asked for our drinks, thinking of how much effort was put into the expansive, double sided list of beverages & immediate presentation of it. Eventually, they did arrive.

I realize this may sound like cranky whining, but I've done multiple jobs in multiple restaurants. I'm also a bit of a bbq enthusiast. To be clear: There were many opportunities to ease my apprehension, none of which were fulfilled. The food itself was average, if you've never-in-your-life had real bbq. The beef was over cooked, somewhat leathery & tasted of obvious multiple reheatings. The sauces were presented as "home made", yet tasted more like spiced ketchup w/ brown sugar. The pork was decent enough, although clearly spiced after cooking, leaving that "I spiced my food" -not- "I prepared this food with spice" taste. All of this & our food was served in worn plastic baskets with a small sheet of wax paper. Take a look at the exterior. Enter the building. Tell me if you would expect wax paper & worn plastic baskets on a wobbly vinyl table.

This place would be greatly aided by a more competent staff & manager, and they would thrive if they could decide on 'an easy place to eat' or 'fine dining'. This poor mix & a lack of enthusiasm will keep me from a second visit, and has clearly has confused the entire staff.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
The Jersey Shore
“Great main course and beer selection - skip the appetizers...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stopped at Percy Street Barbeque after passing it several times. Very cool looking interior and a great, varied beer selection. Waitress was attentive and offered suggestions on the menu. Tried the deviled eggs as an appetizer, it was a very basic presentation - not bad but nothing spectacular. My buddy had the Mac and cheese - same thing.

The main courses were a different story, I had the brisket sandwich, tender and smoky, with nice toppings. The house BBQ sauces were very tasty both the spicy and regular varieties.

Great new find in the city.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“"A good place to go for Barbecue on a Saturday night"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently took my son to Percy Street Barbecue. I was impressed with the ambiance, the service and the food. My son had the brisket which was juicy and delightfully tasteful. I sampled the ribs and the pecan pie, all were great for a Philadelphia Barbecue restaurant. I especially enjoyed the staff who were very helpful on a busy saturday night.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“A Rare Find in the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Philly is known for it's cheesesteaks but Percy's lets you know that Philly has more to offer. Alexa suggested we get the mac and cheese, cornbread, and Longhart (sp). OMG! There was so much good food that we ended up taking some home. The mac and cheese alone could have been a meal. Because we were celebrating our birthday, my best friend and I got dessert. The pecan pie and mud pie were melt in your mouth good. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a new place to try in the city.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere