“Not worth it” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin Institute

The Franklin Institute
222 N. 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)
215-448-1200
Type: Science Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in honor of America’s first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of America’s oldest and premier centers of science education. The museum is known for blockbuster exhibits, a bevy of interactive ongoing exhibitions, and one-of-a-kind theatrical experiences. Today, the Institute continues its dedication to public education and creating a passion for science by offering new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would dazzle and delight its namesake.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Alexandria, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Not worth it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

Visited the Museaum to see the King Tut exhibit. It was NOT worth the $$ or the time. We thought we would see the actual sarcophagus. NO... you only see an image of it. It was sooo disappointing. Go to the zoo instead, atleast you'll see something worth paying for!!

• Turkish first
Philadelphia Suburbs
“Star Wars Exhibit Final Weekend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

I was really surprised to find that the Star Wars shop portion of the exhibit was so pathetic. The museum's goal we were told was to sell out of all Star Wars merchandise by the end of the exhibit. That's very nice from their point of view, but what about their visitors? My four year old son was really looking forward to this part of our visit and all we found with regard to merchandise from Star Wars were pet costumes and a few random left overs. Meanwhile, the museum decides to make a big to-do about the final weekend, staying open 24 hours on Sat and Sun. Suposedly this decision came too late to restock. I was so offended and put off by their selfishness and lack of concern that those of us attending during the exhibit's final days should be able to enjoy just as much as those attending early on. Obviously my advice to the museum's visitors is if you want the full affect of an exhibit at this museum, stay away during its final week(s) and days. It really irritated me to spend my time and money, traveling into the city through traffic only to find that I was getting a 'left over' experience.

Jackson, NH
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

I was surprised at my visit to Franklin Institute in January 2008. The Heart exhibit was ok, but there were alot of things broken and not working. Two of the Three bikes were missing petals and only one pair of headphones out of six in two booths. Headphones and petals doesn't seem like alot of money to replace. You just get a feeling of the place being run down. The bathrooms were dirty and the employees at the concession in the main lobby were not friendly at all. I don't know how they call this a science museum. I think whoever is in charge should take a trip to the Boston Science Museum and see what a real science museum looks like.
Suggestions: Save you money for Boston, you won't be disappointed.

NY
“Sad kids, mad parents”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

Not at all what we were expecting for the price and the reputation of the Franklin Institute. After paying $130 for four of us, we were informed that the "audio tour" would be an additional fee. We then were herded through dark rooms with bare exhibits of only a few pieces. The final straw was the last exhibit room with a PHOTO of King Tut on a pedestal !!! All they had were four burial pieces on exhibit in that room along with the photo.

Imagine the disappointment of your exhibit to thousands of families. We told as many people as possible at other Philadelphia locales to not even bother. Tut was a bust.

Kinston, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
“Tut Tut, What a Ripoff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

I guess we were all hooked by the enlargement of the gold case about a foot long that somewhat resembles the much larger funeary mask. I remember leaving the last room of the exhibit with a bewildered look from realizing there were no more rooms of artifacts. Most of what you will see are small curiosity pieces. Only half of the pieces were found in King Tut's Tomb.

I saw the 1977 exhibit, and wanted my children to see those artifacts. It was a great disappointment for me and for them.