“Friendly and Worth It” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DeTours Urban Excursions

DeTours Urban Excursions
22 North 3rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
267-324-5408
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
52 attraction reviews
“Friendly and Worth It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have experienced their Segway Tour twice already and have always enjoyed it. I would recommend it for anyone. I cannot wait for my third Segway Tour with them!

Visited September 2012

Belle Mead, New Jersey, United States
3 attraction reviews
“A wonderful way to get to know Philly.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I took our two sons, ages 11 and 12, on the segway tour and had a wonderful time. We all had a very easy time acclimating to the segway and it only took a few minutes to become very comfortable riding one. The owner and staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Once touring the city, our guide was extremely knowledgeable of the history and sites of the area. Having done many tours this summer, including London and Paris, my kids enjoyed this one the most, no big surprise there.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great fun and anyone can do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We live in the Philly suburbs and were aware that Segway tours were available. My 14 yo daughter and I were looking for something fun to do very spare of the moment so we were disappointed to read that other Segway tour providers required 48 hours notice to make a reservation. DeTours required 24 hours notice but I called anyway to ask if anything was available for the same day, a Wednesday 4:30 ,90-min tour. The young woman who answered the phone was cheerful and informative and we quickly made the reservation for later that day. We parked in a lot for $15, which is right next to the corner where our guide, Keith, met us right on time with a big hello and bigger smile. He informed us that we would be the only two people on the 4:30 tour. After walking down an alley to a small parking area, we met up with the young woman who welcomed us and had us fill out a liability form. She explained the rules and regs, politely adding that the tour could be terminated if we chose not the follow them. Segway training was appropriate and we practiced in the small lot until we felt comfortable, which really didn't take long. Riding the Segway isn't so much about 'balance' so don't worry about that part. You basically just stand on it and the machine does the work! (Since you are standing in one place for a long time, I found that my feet got a little numb. Now being more experienced I think I would be more relaxed,)

Since I usually work in Center City I was concerned about the rush hour traffic, especially for my 'suburban' daughter. Keith guided us along the sidwalks and thru the pedestrians without issue. We garned lots of curious looks and comments, but it was a safe experience for all involved. He was very attentive to make sure we kept up and were safe. At one point in the street, he felt a car was too close to me and made the car fall back away. The tour route covered all the usual tourist attractions and we covered a lot of ground. Keith did a good job stopping along the way to explain the history, locations, etc. He even told me a few things I didn't know as a resident from here. We REALLY, REALLY enjoyed the the Segway tour experience and would definately do it again. We would consider it for my daughter's birthday with a few of her BFF's but it's in November after DeTours stops for the season.

We highly suggest DeTours Segway tours if visiting the city or just for a unique, fun activity for a family, a date, a friends get together. Great value at $55 for about 2 hours. Would definately consider the 3 hour tour now that we know what to expect. Thank you and we'll be back soon!

Phillyburbs
8 attraction reviews
“An Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I had a great time on the tour. It was great to find something that interested all my kids(20,18 and 12) The one on one instructions were great. I felt very confident riding around old city Philly. Keith, our guide, was great. He stopped along the way and explained different sights. My only complaint, not really a complaint even because I knew I booked this for 4:30 in the afternoon, was the rush hour traffic. We were out on the street a lot. I felt safe, but some of the cars were qutie rude! Looking back I should have booked a mid afternoon tour. I would definitely go on a longer tour another time.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Super fun way to see the city with a Fun and professional organization.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time on a Segway, and something I'd been looking forward to doing for some time given friends' experiences. The company were explanined the rules well but were not too officious. Training was one on one and made my feel safe quickly. The actually tour was one of the most fun things I've done. We were on roads in central Philly! We saw sights!! We WERE sights (I was waving to people by the end of it). Just do it (and not just here, in any city!)