“9th St Italian Mkt Tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Urban Adventures

Philadelphia Urban Adventures
1 N. Independence Mall West, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
215-280-3746
Website
Improve this listing
Book Now

Ranked #5 of 78 Activities in Philadelphia
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Philadelphia Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Philadelphia. They range from 2 hour to 1 day adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Philadelphia. A local expert guide will provide the knowledge and lead you through a fantastic urban experience.
Princeton, New Jersey
“9th St Italian Mkt Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went on the Italian Mkt tour with Chuck today. It was a very interesting tour and Chuck was an awesome tour guide. He told us a lot of interesting facts about the Italian neighborhood and took us through some very "cute" streets. We got some tastes along the way. No tour of Philadelphia tour would be complete w/o a stop at Genos (or Pats)!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Italian Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was a good tour. Chuck was very friendly and knew what he was talking about throughout the tour. The sites, sounds, smells, and tastes of the tour very nice too. The only thing I would change is more of the "taste" part. We only were able to sample a few things, such as bread and cheese spread. However, we learned so much that I will definitely go back to the the market to eat, shop, and soak up more of what 9th street has to offer.

“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Had a great time on two of their tours fun and knowledgable. I would recommend it anyone new or old to Philly you'll learn something. It's a great city and the tours helped me appreciate it.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22 attraction reviews
“Urban Adventures Walking Tour of Italian Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I went on a walking tour of the Italian Market, guided by Chuck - a local resident and a professor. This was a very interactive tour, intimate (5 people joined us that day) and informative. We learned about the struggles of the Italian immigrants who settled in Philadelphia, but Chuck added inumerous other tidbits from his own collection of information - and made this one of my favorite tours to date. He started by relating the life and art story of a local Philadelphia artist (Isaiah Zagar) and walked past several collage/installations which populate that area of Philadelphia. He continued by reaching Italian business and introducing us to the food, family histories and shared locally baked break and inside view of the local customs.
We were familiar with the Italian Market from previous visits, but this tour took up back-stage literally. We heard the store owners relate their own stories and we were taken back to the locker rooms to see the meat freezer and the foods being prepared there. The owners proudly gave us samples of their wonderful fare and we were given the opportunity to buy a few goodies to take home. I highly recommend the Philadelphia Urban Adventures tour to anyone who wants to get to know Philadelphia from a different and real perspective. Needless to say, I now know how to evaluate a cheese steak sandwich, but the debate continues about which one is the BEST! Pat's or Geno's?????

Visited September 2012
Northport, New York
18 attraction reviews
“Urban Adventure; Tour Guide Chuck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

took the 4 hour city tour with native son Chuck. The tour was great from start to finish; in fact, we could have kept going. Undeterred by the rain, we enjoyed local art, history, architecture,
9th street market (and marketeers) who were friendly, welcoming & part of the the fun. Though I'd been to Phila many times previously, I really valued the opportunity to spend the day with such an engaging, interesting, fun & flexible guide! I felt as though I was in town visiting with a local friend who was showing me around his neighborhood. i'd recommend this tour heartily for small groups of family (with sturdy children), friends or solo travelers