“Very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fond

Fond
1537 S 11th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148 (Bella Vista / Queen Village)
+1 215-551-5000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fond is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Tasker Street
Transit: 2 blocks east from the Broad Street Line - Tasker/Morris stop. Bus route 23 on 12th st to Tasker St.
Description: Fond is a Contemporary American Restaurant, with eclectic flavors & fresh, seasonal ingredients. Run by three friends, guests can expect to feel welcome & relaxed. We now offer a full bar as well as a wine and beer list. We offer BYOB from Tuesday to Thursday, with corkage fee on Friday, Saturday and special holidays. We are located on bustling East Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia. Come join Fond for happy hour, every Tuesday thru Friday from 5:30-7:00, BAR ONLY. Fond also has chef's tables that seat 10, that oversee our kitchen where Chef Lee Styer will demonstrate his cooking.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I thought this place was great, but somehow just not all that memorable.

We both ordered the Matador, which was a margarita made with Cabo Wabo Tequila and passion fruit purée. Simply best drink I have ever had in my life. Huge props to the bartender.
For appetizer we had oysters, which typically I love, but these tasted very fishy to me. We also had the foie gras with lemon ricotta appetizer. The foie gras was seared perfectly with the most amazing flavor as one can only expect from foie gras. I thought the accompanied peaches and peanut nuts were a bit odd, but overall it actually came together nicely. One thing I didn't like about the dish was the lemon ricotta. It was light and creamy but the addition of an overwhelming amount of fresh rosemary was just very strange. It was so overpowering indeed that it's all I tasted. I had prices in my teeth. Luckily, I had a nice amuse-bouch still left to wash it down with. It was a shot of the most scrumptiously delicious mushroom soup. Just perfection. Wish they had that on the menu!

For entrées we had a skate wing with gnocchi and a seared sirloin with farro and beets. Skate was good and had a nice sear to it. The gnocchi were incredibly light and yummy. My husband did complain that there were only about 5 of them in the entire portion. My steak was cooked to perfection. The side very good but nothing spectacular.
For dessert we had the coconut cream cake which was good but not memorable.
The place overall was a little odd. I guess because it's tiny. I though the bathroom location right next to the coffee prep station was a little weird. I also thought it was odd for such a small and highly rated restaurant to be practically empty at 8:30 on a Saturday night.

Our waitress was a little dry and not very enthusiastic.

Overall it was a good experience but missing some zing.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“YUMMY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Squirreled off the square on Passyunk Avenue, this little spot has a bar, window walls that open on a nice day and the quality food that will make you want to come back. SO WE DID! :) DJ

Visited August 2014
Philadelphia
“You could grow fond of FOND”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Second time here and it was as good as the first. The waiters and waitstaff are some of the best you will experience. On this night it was Tory and Mike.
I have to say early on if you are visiting Philadelphia you have to consider a visit to one of the many restaurants on and near East Passyunk Ave. Easy to get to from Center City and worth the extra effort.

Fond we find is consistent with fresh clean flavors. We shared appetizers.

Seared Scallops which were done to perfection with frisee, asparagus, and sauce gribiche. A perfect dish.

Yellowfin Tuna Crudo with Mango cilantro yogurt, jicama, plantains was another perfect combination of freshness and flavors.

Red Bell Pepper soup with crab, green curry and coconut was good but thought the spicy heat detracted from the subtle taste of the crab. You think it would be a natural blend but though good was not as satisfying.

Crispy Pork Rillettes with pickled beet greens, truffle parmesan aioli, was our least favorite. Please understand all of the food was better than good but I am being picky here. In my opinion the crust should have been crustier. The insides reminded me of a very smooth scrapple, to another diner a subtle pork croquette. The sauce which came with the Rillette was hardy with a mustard flavor. Again, not horrible, but this was our least favorite and did not stand up to our other appetizers.

We all broke down and ordered Soft Shelled Crabs because when they are on the menu anywhere you order them. This has been a difficult year for soft shells with our extra cold winter.

All four of us agreed this was an excellent combination of the soft shells along with tomato coulis and perfectly cooked off the cob corn with ...I forget. But it was terrific and we were very pleased.

Sometimes you can save a mediocre dinner with a great desert. We had a great dinner, nothing mediocre and the desserts were still great. So FOND from start to finish is great. The service, the food, the ambiance, you easily become fond of FOND.

Our cost with appetizers, entree, dessert, was about $50 per person.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Marlton, New Jersey
“Happy Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stopped in for an appetizer and a drink. We sat at the bar and chatted with the friendly staff. Beautifully presented dish, we will return for a full meal. Our picture says it all!

Visited June 2014
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
“Cool place with very limited menu.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Enjoyed dinner last night - nice atmosphere - warm service - exceptionally well prepared food.
Really small menu - soft shell crabs was a special - we had a 8PM reservation - by the time we sat down and ordered guess what they were out of.

Valet parking a big plus.

• Visited June 2014