“Wonderful and Unusual Italian Fare” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Virtu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Juniper & Mifflin
Transit: Snyder Ave. stop on SEPTA/Broad Street subway.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful and Unusual Italian Fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is my third visit to Le Virtu. Again I was wonderfully surprised by the quality of the the food. Appetizers were delightful. We shared a potato fritter between two people. This does not sound exciting, But it was. My rabbit main course was seasoned just right and very tender. The service was fine and not overbearing. But, always there when you needed them. I would go back to this wonderful restaurant again and again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wynnewood, PA
“Very good meal in a noisy restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My family and I ate dinner last night at Le Virtu. The menu was filled with great choices, including a few strong options for vegetarians (lacto-ovo). Overall, a strong meal, better than any Italian we have had recently in Center City, however, there was room for improvement and it was a bit too noisy causing us to have to shout at each other at our table for 6.

I started with a dish made of cheese and eggs (which really were croquettes) topped with a fresh chunky tomato sauce. A really fun, unusual dish which could only be improved by a reduction in salt. For my entree, a ravioli type of pasta with mushrooms in a mushroom/sage butter sauce with truffle (flavor?) and saffron. Delicious, and a great concept, though the sauce was a tad thick (almost as they they had added a bit of flour). My husband ordered a pasta dish which was one long thick noodle with oil and garlic and a few vegetables. The pasta was well made, and the sauce was good but too salty. Others at my table were pleased with both their apps and their entrees, especially the homemade pasta stuffed with pork.

The restaurant clearly has a great concept, with a seeming passion for authenticity, and is very much worth another try.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Continued excellence in dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a frequent visitor to Philadelphia I am constantly trying out new dining opportunities in this great city for foodies! Le Virtu is, however, a constant for me to go back to for an amazing Italian regional (Abruzzi Provence) dining experience. While the high quality fresh ingredients are local, the menu is heavily influenced by the recipes and traditions of the Italian Provence.

On my last visit I enjoyed the "Ricotta allo zafferano" antipasto (a saffron infused sheep's milk ricotta), the "Maccheroni alla munaia" (hand pulled single strand pasta) and "Timballa di Zucca" (baked layers of crepes, roasted autumn squash, sage and mozzarella). Many of the the wines are imported from the Provence and offer a perfect accompaniment to the menu.

Last, the atmosphere is quite relaxed and pleasant while the service is competent and attentive without being intrusive. One of the owners was on the the premises and along with the chef, circulated through the dining room to talk to patrons, adding to the friendly atmosphere of this little gem of a ristorante!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Solid but not worthy of high Zagat rating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was psyched when I saw this had a 27 food rating in Zagat. It was not all that. If it was in Manhattan, it would be a 23. The pastas were good but not great. I had the handkerchief pasta with duck, but it was stringy. The gnocchi were fine but not memorable. I liked the sausage appetizer a lot and my wife enjoyed the tripe. The cocktails were well made. Might be worth the trip if you don't get your hopes up.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“Unfortunately dissapointed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I made the unfortunate mistake of taking my wife and her family to Le Virtu for her birthday dinner hoping to receive husband "points" for a great location choice. Philly magazine voted "best pasta" and that was enough for me to choose this place. If you're looking for a "hipster" type restuarant and location this restaurant is for you...excessivley small portions, unreadable menu descriptions and flavors that conflicted in my opinion. If you're looking for that "conventional Italian done very well" this place is not for you. Maybe I should have done more homework about the place but I was very dissapointed...I ordered the "Seafood Stew" and ended up getting a few clams, muscles, shrimp and octopus rings in a typical Zuppa Di Pesce type of dish but with very little sauce. Sorry but I'll stick to Spasso's in the city...

• Visited September 2012