“Pig-tails and beer. Ja wohl.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brauhaus Schmitz

Brauhaus Schmitz
718 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147 (City Center East)
267-909-8814
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Brauhaus Schmitz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Center East
Ottawa, ON
“Pig-tails and beer. Ja wohl.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

It's quite easy to get carried away here and perhaps that's the point of a joint this big that serves up porcine goodness in every fashion, a-la-Deutsch. Get cross-eyed here with friends.

Surprisingly located on South Street, which has a little hair on it, it's clearly part of the gentrification of the area. We didn't need a reservation mid-week but made one anyway. Fortunately, post-over-indulgence will allow you to stumble one block to an establishment with less ambiance and cheaper cocktails. Do this after filling your boots here.

This is a one-way street and cabs are not plentiful mid-week.

Usual bible of beers. Go light. Go lager. The food will take you down.

Ate in the back area. There was a bar, dartboard-wannabes, co-ed lavatory. Do not be surprised to see a member of the opposite sex washing their hands in the same place. Sadly ladies, I can't imagine shared toilets go well with bad aim.

Service was acceptable. Clearly a new waitress. I spent about $250 here with tax and tip. Asked our server to continue to bring cocktails, beers and food until we hurt ourselves. It was highly acceptable food. Spetzle and the brussel sprouts were a little burned. Still good.

Eat the pig-tails. Immediately. Everything else is standard issue and highly delicious.

A close second to NYC's Lorelei, south of Houston St.

• Visited April 2014

New Jersy
“Best German Experience in Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

There is not much more that I need to say other than this place is the best, but I will elaborate for the sake of the review. The beer selection here (the reason I go) is by far the best selection of German beers in the city. Their selection changes frequently, but there are always a wide array of styles to choose from so if you can not find a beer here you like, then you probably do not like beer. The staff here knows their stuff too so if you go and are not really sure what beers are what, ask the bartender and they will reccommend something for you and ever let you try a sip or two before your purchase. I also love the fact that while this is a bar the food their is great as well and so is the atmosphere. Every time I walk in I see families enjoy some sausages and taking in a futbol game on the big screen. Special thanks to Josh, Meghan and Ray for always making our trips from the other side of the river great. You guys are seriously the best.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milford, Pennsylvania
“Great German food & Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband & I had dinner on a Sunday evening in celebration of his birthday & were very happy we chose this restaurant. The beer selection is amazing & our waiter made great recomendations. We enjoyed the Bavarian pretzel appetizer & my husband really liked the beer cheese soup. Our entrees were great, he ordered the rollbraten vom schwein & I ordered the braised rabbit special. When we received our order they accidentally brought me the stuffed quail special and ended up giving us the rabbit dish in addition free of charge & were very apologetic. Each dish was absolutely delicious! I told our waiter I was very happy to eat the quail but he insisted he bring the rabbit too & we ended up taking it home to go. For dessert we tried the chocolate torte (which they brought out with a birthday candle) & it was also delicious. Overall a fun modern german atmosphere (no musty wood paneling & wall of steins collecting dust here) and great food. We will definitely come again.

• Visited March 2014
Pennsylvania
“A Bit of a Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We had been intending to go to this establishment for some time, being a fan of German cuisine and culture. We left disappointed and will probably never return. There were some good aspects. I had a bauernwurst sandwich and red cabbage. It was good, if not really hot. My family ordered a variety of food, only to find it far to spicy for them to eat. My son tried a bratwurst sandwich with sauerkraut as a substitute (and I took his spicy soup)...but it came without the sauerkraut. One of our party ordered a dessert which was quite stale (hard and virtually tasteless). Portions were reasonable, though some of the sides seemed a bit undersized. The food therefore comes in as a bit less than average. The serving staff was generally personable, if not truly friendly. The service, however, was quite slow. We were there for lunch and it took us two hours to order, get served and leave. The establishment does have a good beer selection, and the selection comes in a book form. The staff, however, in spite of the slow service, was rather insistent that a beer be chosen rapidly (I would have liked a bit more time to make a selection). The establishment décor did not really did not evoke Germany. There was one wall of nostalgic German poster art, but otherwise, we didn't get much of the cultural feeling we had hoped. Also, as far as value...the food was definitely overpriced? For lunch, the cost was about double what it should have been. With the less than average food quality, slow service and high cost, I really can't, in good conscience, give the restaurant a good rating.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great beer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stopped in for some German beer and wasn't disappointed. Bartender was very informative and made some great suggestions based on our tastes.

• Visited February 2014