“Perfect location for sight-seeing in Philadelphia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Philly Overnight Package
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Burbank, California
“Perfect location for sight-seeing in Philadelphia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This hotel is in a great location. Easy to find if you're walking from train station. Walking distance to Rittenhouse Square and tons of really cool restaurants along the way. The hotel is near many of the popular sights and attractions.

Staff is courteous and helpful with directions, calling a cab and offering suggestions of what to do and where to go.

• Stayed September 2013
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
MISSYRN2B,

Great to see you were able to enjoy the neighborhood. Rittenhouse Square has so much to offer, we're lucky to be in the backyard. Thanks for the feedback and great review. We hope to have you back soon.

Cheers!
James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We recently stayed for 4 nights at the Hotel Palomar in Philadelphia in order for my husband and I to share a long weekend together. I chose this hotel after a vast amount of internet research because it received such high marks and fit into our price range.

The hotel can be a little tricky to find, particularly if you arrive in traffic, since there is just a small curbside area where you can valet your car. Aside from that, check-in was easy and the man behind the counter was kind and gave us whatever information we requested. Our room was ready early (around 1 pm), so we were able to get right inside. I specifically requested that we be on a floor with no pets due to allergies and that all worked out.

The room itself was spacious (for a downtown/city hotel room), and had a nice view of the church across the street even though I had paid for the "cheaper" view. The kind sized bed was comfortable and there was plenty of closet/drawer space. We found the room to be clean and in good repair. I loved the complimentary shampoo/soaps, which were high quality. Also, the room was wonderfully quiet.

The location of the hotel is excellent, and we were in walking distance to the Liberty Bell and Eastern State Penitentiary. Rittenhouse Square was in our backyard. We also took the subway to see a Philadelphia Flyers hockey game, and then subway was just a short walk. There is plenty of shopping and many restaurants right outside of the hotel. After walking around Philly, I was happy that I chose this hotel over the Four Seasons, which was pricier and not as centrally located.

So, why did I take off a star? For one thing, the housekeeping was totally erratic. On Saturday, we did some exploring around the city, returning to our room around 3 pm, and housekeeping had not yet cleaned the room. At that point, we wanted to shower and get ready for dinner, so we just asked for a couple of clean towels and didn't have the room cleaned at all. Sunday morning, we were up bright and early and left the room. Again, we returned around 3 pm and the room hadn't been cleaned. We were going to call the front desk to inquire, but around 3:30 the housekeeper showed up. This was awkward because now we wanted to have the room cleaned, but didn't have anywhere to be for a couple of hours. We decided to go down to the hotel bar. Kimpton was nice enough to give us a $10 bar credit since I was a member of their loyalty program, so we went downstairs to use that and waste some time while the room was getting cleaned. What had been billed as one of the nicest bars in the area by the front desk was AWFUL. This was one of the most depressing climates I've ever sat in. My husband ordered one of their specialty drinks and I asked for a frangelico. The bartender had to consult with a recipe book for each and measure everything out. My tiny (and I mean tiny) shot of frangelico ran around $9. There were no bar snacks or peanuts. There was no conversation, and then I had to seek out someone to pay the bill when we had finished wasting our housekeeping time. We got back up to the room just as the housekeeper was finishing and were glad to be out of that bar! Of course, Monday morning we took our time before leaving for sightseeing, and the housekeeper was knocking on our door at 9 am, ready to clean! Then, and I know I'm belaboring the housekeeper here, but there is a reason, we returned to our room midafternoon to find that she had taken the contents of our bathroom garbage can and dumped them into the toilet. I will not go into details of what was in that garbage, but it was not something I would have flushed down the toilet, much less LEFT for the guests to flush down the toilet! Finally, I have to gripe a little about the parking. $43 a night is too expensive. I know that parking in the city is pricy and that having the car parked by the hotel is a convenience, but there's really no good reason to charge that much except that they can get away with it. I'm sure they are making a mint on this.

Otherwise, we had a nice stay at the Palomar. It is a quirky place with a good sense of humor. There are plenty of staff onhand (except at the bar), and we had a nice stay. I'm not sure if the hotel would be appropriate for a family stay (wine hours in the lobby/room too small for our whole family), but for a couple it was nice, and I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Lawchicky,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your stay. Wish we could have reached that five star mark for you! So sorry about the challenges with housekeeping and at the bar. Both departments have recieved the feedback and are taking action where necessary. Next time you're back, we'll have it right!

Cheers,
Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Okay, we kind of "lucked out" when we walked into our room at this KIMPTON hotel on S17th Street in Philadelphia. A corner room with classic octagonal corner windows overlook S17th Street and Sansom Streets in West City Center. A great restaurant downstairs, free coffee in the mornings in the lobby and a wine-happy-hour every afternoon until 6pm. Be sure to join the KIMPTON "In-Touch Club" and get your WIFI in your room free and other amenities, ask the clerk about the club. This is the third KIMPTON property we have stayed in and we were NOT disappointed. Great staff, that could not do enough for you, especially the Bell Staff. VERY PET FRIENDLY.............

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...........
Green Features: They have towel management to minimize the impact of laundering the towels, like many other hotels now have.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Joejanet1991,

I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the Hotel, Restaurant, and most importantly the staff. Thank you for sharing the tips on Kimpton InTouch! Hope to see you again soon.

Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar from Saturday-Monday for a wedding. We got the rooms as part of a wedding block, but if I'm traveling to a city that has a Kimpton, I'll almost assuredly be staying there.

My wife and I brought our 4 year old terrier mix with us, as we were excited to stay at a pet-friendly hotel. From the moment we arrived, the experience was amazing. The doorman greeted us, and then our dog, as he held the door, and the front desk staff made it a point of learning our dogs name, greeting him, and assuring us they would do all they can to make both ours and our pets stay as comfortable as possible.

We got up to the room and waiting for us was truffled popcorn (which was amazing), as well as fresh baked dog treats and a note stating that our dog had been chosen as VIP pet of the day. This handwritten note was just an amazing little touch. We thought they just did this for all pets that check in, but it turns out this wasn't the case at all.

We had dinner in the hotel for the wedding that evening, and my wife received a call to inform us that someone had called and said our dog was barking in our room. Not to complain, but simply to alert the staff. When you sign in with a pet, you sign a waiver stating you give the staff the right to go into your room and collect your dog if they are creating a nuisance and they will watch him at the front desk (for a fee if they have to go into your room). All the staff are trained to deal with pets, and all seem to love them as well. You are also contacted first in case you want to come back for your pet.

My wife went up to the room and took our dog for a walk. When she walked back into the hotel, the front staff offered to watch him, but my wife tried to say she'd just take him back up to the room. They insisted on watching him because he was "So cute" (which he totally is). He was with them for 3 hours, and they didn't charge us for it. It was just so comforting to know that there was that added layer of care for him.

The rest of the stay went off without a hitch, and I just can't say enough amazing things about the staff or the hotel itself. The location is awesome (1 block away from Rittenhouse Square), the bar in the hotel is top notch (A bit heavy on the vermouth in their Manhattan though), and overall just an amazing experience. They have earned a client for as long as there is a Kimpton where I'm traveling.

Room Tip: If you don't want to stay on a pet friendly floor, they have pet free floors.
Dear Haarpoon,

You've become part of our family and we can't wait to have you back! Thanks for letting us hang with the pup for a few hours and for sharing this awesome review. Glad you enjoyed your experience with us.

See you soon,
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was in Philadelphia for the NCAA Frozen Four championship and we chose the Palomar because of it's central location in Philly. Close to restaurants, town center, subway, and all the sights of Philly. The staff was super friendly, helpful, and accommodating. They were basically our family for 5 days. I can't say enough about the excellent service and the wonderful room with comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Nana, Austin, Caroline, and all the staff were wonderful!

Room Tip: I had the King Spa room and really enjoyed the spa tub each night after walking the streets of Phila...
Dear Patricia L,

When are you coming home next?! It was awesome to meet you. Thanks for letting us help create such great memories for you. We're awaiting your return - come back soon!

Best,
Chappaqua, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

First went to the Palomar last summer when my son was looking at UPenn. We picked it because it was close to UPenn and allowed us to bring our dog. Well my son was accepted there and we went back to Philadelphia for accepted students day. We came with out dog again. Looks like my son will be going to school there, so the Palomar will be our home away from home. Great location, great service, great decor. Love the free wine and popcorn at 5 and the free coffee in the morning that is served in the lobby. This is a great place to stay for Upenn parents. It is a quick sack up Walnut to the campus and yet you are removed from the college scene of University City. Looking forward to going back.

Dear Chappaqua3,

Congrats on your sons acceptance into UPenn, what an accomplishment! Thanks for continuing to stay with us. We look forward to many more visits over the next four years. See you soon!

Cheers!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stay here frequently on business and I love everything about this hotel. It's convenient, in the middle of city center. It's in an old building, so the rooms are cute and quirky. The staff is great, and by now they know my name and speak to me when I pass through the lobby. There's a yoga mat in my room, and the yoga channel on tv. And coffee in the lobby in the morning to pick out. All around great.

Room Tip: Get one with the spa tub.
Green Features: I really appreciate Kimpton's dedication to the environment. It's part of what makes this hotel chain great.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jill V,

We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Hotel. I'm sure our mutual friend [yoga] Mat doesn't mind the visits either! He's a fairly new addition to our guest rooms so it's nice to hear you enjoy his company!

See you soon,