“Not the #2 Hotel in Philly. Trust me. Unless all the other hotels have blood stains too...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Philly Overnight Package
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed there the first week of Sept, 2013. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor so when I saw it was rated higher than the Ritz Carlton I decided to stay here instead of the Ritz. I don't write reviews often (I can't remember the last time I wrote one) but my stay was so bad I felt compelled to make sure the TripAdvisor community knew not to stay here.

Overall the hotel seemed fine (fancy decor), but on the first night of my stay I noticed red stains on the carpet. They looked like blood drop stains so I called the front desk. The front desk seemed very concerned and sent someone up right away. When someone finally arrived they looked at the stains and told me it wasn't blood, but the cleaning crew would come in the morning. He said "there was nothing that could be done" that night and he left. I agree there is very little that could be done at 10:30 at night to remove the stains but there is A LOT that can be done to make me feel better about there being blood on the floor. They could have told me the previous guest spilled Tomato Juice on the floor, or the cleaning people use red soap to shampoo the carpets. They could have tried to make me feel better about the mysterious red stains that I was certain was blood. They could have offered to move me to a different room. There were actually a lot of options the staff could have done, but they were right about not being able to remove the stains until the next day. Except that they didn't do that either. I was there for a couple of days and the stains were still there when I checked out. No one followed up with my service call or to check back with me about my complaint of blood on the carpet. I have never been to Philly before but the staff seemed too comfortable about blood stains in their hotel. What kind of city if this? Does no one care about random blood stains? I have included pictures of the carpet stains so you can decide for yourself. Maybe I have been watching too much CSI Philadelphia, or maybe there are blood stains on the carpet and no one cared. Note: Two of the pictures are close ups of the stains and two are far back to give a reference point to where the stains were (are?).

Note: I am giving this hotel the lowest possible rating in every category so hopefully they do not retain their #2 ranking. I am sure the spa is fine, but I don't intend to go back to this hotel to ever find out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
James_AdamsonPHL, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
mustangmarine,

First and foremost, please accept my sincerest apologies for the unsatisfactory experience you had during your time with us. Please know that what you describe here is not the level of service expected of our employees and our product. I know you and Lindsay, our Front Office Manager had been emailing back and forth regarding setting up a time to speak over the phone. I do hope we are able to connect so we may right this wrong.

As for the carpet itself, it was stained with hair dye, not blood. It has since been completely replaced as it was not a stain we could remove the from carpet ourselves.

In closing, as an avid Tripadvisor user, you can see your experience is certainly not up to standard for Hotel Palomar Philadelphia. It is extremely important to me that we remedy any and all guest issues and I sincerely hope that we can follow up directly regarding your experience.

Hope to hear from you soon,

James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We like to stay near Rittenhouse Square when we visit our son at UPenn, and in the past stayed at the Rittenhouse Hotel. Due to a change in ownership, the Rittenhouse has gotten extremely expensive, so we began looking for an alternative. Friends stayed at the Palomar and recommended it to us. We were very happy with our decision. The location is great, the staff excellent, and even the food in the small restaurant very good. We plan to return several more time this coming year.

Room Tip: Besides a desk and desk chair, our room did not have a comfortable reading chair. Maybe a larger ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alfred K,

We are thrilled to read the Palomar exceeded your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we appreciate the feedback. For next time, during the booking process be sure to request of a room with an arm chair. We will try our best to set you up in one to ensure your comfort throughout the stay. Alternatively, all of our King Spa Rooms and Deluxe One Bedroom Suites are equipped with a sofa and of course, more space.

Looking forward to having you back soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This place grows on me each trip! I'm in PHY once a month on business and so hotels matter a lot. This one has outstanding service, they remember your preferences of room, pillow etc. membership gives you $10 in the mini bar which is so well stocked you will want to empty it! Wine and popcorn hour every eve is a lovely way to wind down. It's cool, quirky and best of all everything works the way it should. Fast wifi, hot showers, comfy beds and great service. If I only ever stay here for the rest of my trips to PHY I will be very happy!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sazlward,

You matter to us! We love welcoming you back and providing you with a comfortable stay while you're in our home. Kimpton InTouch does provide great benefits which you outlined here. Also, we just modified the program slightly by introducing "Raid the Bar". Now, your $10 credit is good towards the minibar or our bar, Square1682. It's your choice! Hopefully we are your only future Hotel choice in Philly. Please reach out to me directly if I can ever be of any assistance while you are in town.

Best,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at the Palomar for two nights. From the time we checked in to us checking out, the Palomar was very accomodating. The staff at the front desk were helpful and a good example of this is how they had chargers for cell phones. The excellent restaurant recommendations were great also. The one thing that stuck out with me, is we were lost walking from the train station and the person on the phone came and got us. That is excellent customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear ihall41,

Wow! Thanks for sharing this story. Its awesome to see you had such a great stay. I'll be sure to share your feedback with the team as this level of service is what we strive for with each and every guest. We appreciate your business and can't wait to see you again for visit number two.

Until then,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Palomar is an excellent hotel; it's a great place to spend a long weekend to 'recharge'. The location of the hotel couldn't be better (close to great shops and restaurants) although beautifully appointed rooms and terrific room service don't give you a reason to travel far. The staff is friendly and welcoming; I will definitely return to the Palomar the next time I visit Philly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JLinn2013,

We appreciate your perfect review! Thanks for staying with us during your weekend to recharge! I'm pleased to see you found your room comfortable and the food delicous. Please come back and see us anytime you need a weekend to relax!

See you soon,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at the Philadelphia Palomar recently for the Made In America music festival and had an amazing stay! The hotel is is centrally located next to shopping, great restaurants, the Reading Terminal Market, and museums. Everything was within walking distance, which made it convenient. The hotel ambiance is perfect - a combination of old Philly charm coupled with modern trendy boutique ambiance. The room is a perfect size for 2 with an extremely comfortable bed and chic furniture and accessories. The hotel staff was AMAZING - everyone delivered the highest level of courtesy, customer service, and a welcoming aura. It was also my birthday weekend, so the hotel surprised me with cupcakes from a local bakery, which was a even sweeter touch :) I love Kimpton already, so this stay just added another point for them. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nickey-Ann L,

Happy Belated! Sounds like you had an amazing birthday weekend! I'm also so pleased to see the cupcakes made it even a little more special for you. Hopefully we'll make this a birthday tradition and welcome you back again next year, if not before!

Kind Regards,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is by far one of the best hotels I have stayed at in a very long time. The staff are very friendly and always ready to help, I have never felt so welcome at a hotel by the staff in all my years of traveling. We arrived early and the room which we booked was still being cleaned and so we where upgraded to a larger room with two double beds at no extra cost and as we where celebrating a birthday we where given vouchers to use at the hotel bar for free drinks!! The room was spacious, immaculate and comfortable, everything you could want in a room really. The beds are comfy though I did accumulate a few bruises from hitting my legs on the corner of the beds. The bathroom had a lovely large mirror and the shower was nice and powerful, and it is always nice when a hairdryer, iron and ironing board are provided. The only thing I must say is that I did not like the bath robes, they looked worn and tired so I didn't use them. The door staff are very polite and always welcome you into the hotel and will happily give you directions. All the staff in this hotel seemed happy to be working here which is always a good thing. The hotel bar is pretty good here too, though we did not eat at the restaurant there was always a good amount of people eating here. The hotel also hosts a drinks hour in the lobby everyday between 5 and 6 providing free wine, cocktails and popcorn, it is well worth a visit.

I would defiantly stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear suga019,

Thank you for selecting us as your Philly homebase. We are thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay so much and got to take advantage of the neighborhood and hotel amenities. So sorry about the bathrobes, I'll be sure to take a deeper look into that especially since they are arguably one of the most fun parts of staying with us! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and please come again soon!

Until next time,

James

Been to Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!