“Great Hotel, Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Philly Overnight Package
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Hotel, Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Whenever I travel, which is pretty often, I tend to look for Kimpton Hotels before any other. The reason being I always know the quality of the hotel prior to my arrival. Kimptons offer great boutique hotels at reasonable prices and they are usually in the best locations. There is even a complimentary happy hour from 5pm - 6pm daily. My expectations did not fall short when it came to the Hotel Palomar.

We arrived in Philly first thing in the morning and I did not expect to get into our room right away, although I had hoped we would. We were told our room was not ready and they would calls us shortly. We didn't get our call until sometime around 3pm, which is the normal check in time. I will not hold this against them because I knew the check in time when I booked my flight. Luckily the hotel is in a great spot in Center City and blocks from Rittenhouse. Want to go shopping? No problem, walk two blocks and you are on Walnut Street and can find just about any store you could want. Even better, there is no sales tax on clothes. Eating and drinking is also easy since you have so many places to choose from within walking distance.

As far as the room goes, it was a nice room. Very clean and on a pet-free floor as we requested. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Just a side note, if you want a good meal and you don't want to go very far, Square 1682 is attached to the hotel and the food is amazing! They even feature a local menu, which always add bonus points in my book.

Room Tip: This hotel does allow pets. Request a pet free floor when making your reservation if you don't w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick_Gregory, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Levi22,

Thanks for sharing such a great review of your stay with us. I'm thrilled to read that you were able to take advantage of Square1682 and all the great things the Rittenhouse neighborhood has to offer. Come back and see us soon!

Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

What a pleasure it is to stay in a Kimpton Hotel.

This was my first experience and I will definitely be back at least to the brand if not this hotel.

The staff all have a sense of ownership and pride in the hotel.

I was given a spa room and the city views were superb.

The bathroom is a dream with a huge jacuzzi, shower next to the jacuzzi - a little tricky to keep the towels dry - and beautiful console.

As with most expensive hotels, there's nothing included with the room.

WIFI is extra, unless you join the Kimpton loyalty club, then it's free from then on at all Kimptons.

There's a restaurant downstairs where you can purchase breakfast.

The location is right in the middle of Centre City. Everything is within walking distance.

This is an excellent hotel with excellent service in an excellent location!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Nick_Gregory, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
ThePackedBag,

It is a pleasure to have you as our guest! Thank you for selecting us as your home away from home while in Philadelphia. We are thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

In addition to what you would expec
from a 4 star hotel: a beautiful clean room & hotel.You receive free wine,pretzels ,popcorn &fresh water
at scheduled times thru out the day.
They even have bikes available.But the staff is what makes it
The staff (on all shifts} goes above & beyond to be helpful, courteous & friendly. I would go back in an instant'

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Dejose,

Thanks for staying with us. I'm so happy to read you got a chance to tour the city on our new custom bikes! We appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review, I'll be sure to share it with the team.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I'd give 2.5 stars if I could..not exactly "poor," but "average" at best. I always read reviews before choosing to stay anywhere. Staying here only made sense because it was the #1 hotel in Philadelphia. (We stayed in May.)

Being that it was a top-rated hotel, there are certain things I just expect. Being able to check-in at check-in time is the main one. We arrived a bit early and our room wasn't ready - totally understandable. The (very friendly) woman at check-in said they'd call us in about a half hour. That half-hour turned into 2 hours, allowing us to check in at about 4:00. While the front desk was a bit apologetic, they kept saying/blaming(?) it on the fact that they were sold out the night before. I'd expect a hotel of this caliber to be able to have rooms ready at check-in time, regardless of it being sold out. We were going to a wedding and needed to be in our room at 3:00 in order to get ready and leave in time for the wedding - this left us only 45 minutes. Based on other reviews, I expected some kind of sympathy or something to make up for this, but we got nothing. I just feel like we completely missed out on the personal service this hotel boasts.

Of course the room was clean, and we love the jetted tubs. But unfortunately, these are the only nice things we have to say about our stay. Hotel Palomar is the closest Kimpton hotel to me and I'd love to stay here again, but I'm just unsure because our stay was so "meh."

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a larger bathroom with a jetted tub.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick_Gregory, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Ff6393,

Actually, you should have had such high expectations. We have high expectations for ourselves and are all sorry we missed the mark on your experience. I can assure you that your stay next time will live up to those expectations. Please feel welcome to reach out to us personally prior to your next stay!

See you again soon,
Chappaqua, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Beautiful boutique hotel steps from Rittenhouse Square. Trendy, but elegant decor. Luxury bathroom amenities. We stayed with our dog and needed to check in early and they were incredibly accommodating. Would definitely stay here again when in the area. Kimpton chain is great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chappaqua3,

Thanks for staying with us and for writing such a great review. We look forward to welcoming you and the pooch back soon.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

While I have grown to expect excellent service from kimpton hotels, Hotel Palomar continued to impress in that regard. From the moment I stepped off the busy curbside I was treated with great customer service with a staff that introduced themselves to me by first name. I was making a cross country move so they were able to handle my cat and my unusual luggage with no problem. They gave me a complimentary glass of wine and half off valet parking (because of a summer promotion). The modestly sized but well decorated room was ready to go for my pet and me. I highly recommend and I will return.

• Stayed July 2013
Daninwa,

Welcome to the neighborhood and City of Brotherly Love. Thanks for selecting us as your home for the night during your move, glad we could help take a load off. Come back and see us anytime!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

When you venture into a new city we never seem to know what we will find. One this trip we were surprised in a good way on both Kimpton hotels we stayed at (see Alexandria Va Lorien Review).

Again as is true in any hotel, the building itself is one thing, in this case the hotel is modern, clean and the downstairs restaurant and unexpected good surprise. But the staff at this hotel also did an excellant job! It was great to see people working with smiles on their faces and its the people, the workers that make the hotel!

Being a big city I have to take several trips to learn an area but we felt safe in this hotels location, taxis at the front door, reasonably priced and clean!

All made our stay perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HeadsUp737,

Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to smile with you! It's our favorite part of the gig. Please come back and see us next time you are in Philadelphia. We can't wait to welcome you back home!

Nick

Been to Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!