“Kimpton never fails to impress” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Parking Package
Ranked #3 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Kimpton never fails to impress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just got back form one lovely night at the Hotel Palomar Philadelphia. As a Kimpton In Touch member we have stayed at a lot of different Kimpton properties including many Palomar Hotels. This one is certainly on par with their other exceptional boutiques.

Pros:
- Uniquely decorated
- Very comfortable beds and pillows
- King Spa room with Fiji Tub (need I say more)
- Location
- Courteous staff - the Valet/Bellmen were some of the best we have encountered anywhere
- Spotless

Cons:
- $40 parking fee

Definitely upgrade to the King Spa room if you can swing it.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the King Spa room if you can swing it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wendell B, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
mttaylor9,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Palomar Philly for your lovely night away from home. We always want to make you feel welcome each time you visit our hotel. Please come back and see us again real soon.

1,453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
New Hope, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Palomar in Phila a few years ago to celebrate a wedding anniversary and had a fantastic experience; so, I decided to re-visit this year for our 25th anniversary / Valentine's Day weekend. I called Abby Raymond (she also is the one who helped me a few years ago) to arrange to have roses and hand made Marcie Blaine chocolates in the room when we arrived. Upon our arrival, we received a big smile and a wonderful "Happy Anniversary!" from the front desk person, Naeena, that set the tone for the entire visit! Abby had spread the word and the entire hotel staff was aware that my wife and I were there celebrating our 25th!!! This is THE MOST FRIENDLY, WELCOMING, and HAPPY HOTEL I have ever stayed in (and I travel allot)! Kudos go out to Abby, Christine (our Concierge) and the entire staff at Hotel Palomar. Whatever you guys are doing there--keep doing it and keep hiring all those great people!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
jeichert,

Happy 25th Anniversary again. I am thrilled that you allowed us to be a part of your special 25th wedding anniversary. Thank you for recognizing our team members Abby, Christina, and Naeema. I have shared your comments with them. Please come back and visit us again. We are waiting to help you celebrate another special occasion or you can just come to relax for the weekend.

Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

With all the accolades, I thought I'd put in a shocker of a title. Sure, the room had no coffee maker. So I called the desk as instructed by the card in the room, and took quick delivery of a Keurig, with four K-cups, and cold, fresh milk, exactly as I had requested. In fact, there's a list of all kinds of things they'll deliver upon request. No surprise: they also provide free wi-fi, wine and hot toddies late afternoon, a mini-bar credit (never heard of another chain that does that!), and a hotel that's stylish, immaculate, and staffed by total professionals who smile.

Great exercise room. And the elevators...the elevators are amazingly decorated. All in all, wonderful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GreenMountains18,

I have to admit that was a little surprised about the coffee maker since we do provide them on request. Thanks for choosing our hotel, and we are thrilled that you had a great stay. Please come back and visit your new friends here at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia very soon.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I love visiting cities and Philly is one of my favorites. I found the Hotel Palomar on Trip Advisor (naturally) and liked the reviews so I booked a room. The price was right for that particular day, too.

Valet parking is a bit confusing. The website states to pull up on the side of the hotel on Sansom Street but when I did there wasn't any sign of a valet employee or even signage stating that I was in the right spot. Thankfully, I know Philadelphia's confusing one way streets well so I was able to drive up a block or two and back around to come to the front of the hotel. I was greeted promptly by a valet and handed a ticket quickly so I could get out of the freezing cold into the hotel.

The check in receptionist was a lovely young woman who was friendly, courteous and professional. The hotel management who understands how important that is to guests will always attract repeat business no matter what other negative experience may occur. Kimpton, your management team knows what it's doing and I applaud you for that.

The room was just lovely. I often travel alone so space isn't much of an issue for me but this room was spacious. Everything was sparkling clean. The bathroom was fresh looking and the complimentary toiletries are high-end. It was super quiet and I never heard another guest in the hall or adjoining room. The view from my window was of the brick building next door but I don't care much about views when visiting cities. So, if you want a view you should probably make a point of asking for a room with a view.

The only disappointments were the bed and room service. I was surprised that I found the bed so hard and uncomfortable which caused me to wake up with a backache. Maybe it was just the bed in that particular room.

I'm an early riser so called room service around 5 a.m. to order breakfast. I was told that I couldn't order from the breakfast menu but only from the "anytime" menu. I truly do not understand why making me a pizza or quesadilla is no problem but frying a couple eggs and toasting a slice of bread is a problem at 5 a.m.? The gentleman who answered the phone was charming and apologetic and we compromised by having a pot of coffee sent up to tide me over until I could order breakfast. Again, pleasant, helpful staff makes a good impression and can smooth over difficulties except, perhaps, with the most unreasonable guests. I should add that the coffee was probably the best room service coffee I've had in recent memory.

These two disappointments are not enough to keep me from returning to the Hotel Palomar on future trips to Philadelphia. The location is fabulous, there are restaurants and shops galore. If you love tea you must visit Steap on 18th Street. Wonderful selection of teas and tea-related supplies.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Barbara S,

Thanks for staying with us here at Hotel Palomar Philly. We appreciate you sharing your comments with our team. We use your comments for both recognition and improvement. Please come back and stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Philadelphia.

Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I booked the Palomar for a weekend to help celebrate my wife's birthday - and boy did I make the right call!

Shortly after getting situated in our room on a Friday night, we were presented with a huge slice of chocolate cake and a bottle of wine. And because we arrived after the wine social, we were remembered with a big bowl of their signature popcorn (which is unbelievably good). Talk about being treated right!

In heading out for dinner we asked about potential restaurants. The staff really knows the area - the restaurants, shops, and the events going on... If you have a question or want a suggestion, ask them - they're definetly in the know.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. We did some shopping on Saturday around Rittenhouse square and headed back to our room to drop-off our bags and get ready to go to dinner. I was surprised to find a brthday card and a 2 large (chocolate and vanilla) cupcakes from a local bakery (Brown Betty). Very thoughtful - and delicious! This hotel does customer service right!

To warrant all this attention, all I did was mention in my reservation that it was a birthday stay for my wife. She was greeted with a "Happy Birthday" when we checked in, and "we hope you enjoyed your birthday" upon checking out. While this might seem small, this kind of attention - just like the hotel itself, is special.

The hotel itself is spotless, modern, and unpretentious. The wine "happy hour" in the lobby is a relaxing mixer that you shouldn't miss. We had a King Spa room that, like others on this site have said, is an upgrade you need to make.

Go ahead and do your research - but customer service, location and price make this hotel where you want to stay in Philly.

Room Tip: Don't skimp - do the King Spa room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EdwardG100,

Thanks for choosing Hotel Palomar Philly for your recent hotel stay. Thanks for letting us help you celebrate your wife's birthday. We really love helping our guest celebrate all occasions, so come on back to Hotel Palomar Philly for your next family celebration. We can't wait to see you again.

Brentwood, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I travel quite a bit for work and have had the opportunity to stay in a number of fine establishments. The Hotel Palomar in Philadelphia is truly an experience. The facility is in a convenient location and very well maintained. The attached restaurant and bar have excellent food, drink and atmosphere. I have enjoyed the Palomar with large groups and on my own. What truly sets them apart from others is their customer service. I have never met a staff from top to bottom who so sincerely want to make your experience pleasurable. They really go above and beyond.

Room Tip: They have corner suites that just seem more comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bill D,

Thanks for recognizing and commenting on the outstanding service that our team here at Hotel Palomar delivers to you each time that you stay with us. Our team really cares about our guests and we want them to feel like they are among friends while staying with us.

We can't wait to have you back again.

West Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our most recent 2 night stay at the Palomar was great, as it always is when we stay at a Kimpton. Our room was quiet and sunny, too - which made me very happy. Plus - we were switched to a Queen Queen, at the same rate I booked online for a King.

The hot chocolate with all the fixings (in the lobby) was a treat. The friendly staff was a plus - especially the door-opening guys, who let us in from the freezing cold with a smile all weekend. Seriously, the staff couldn't have been sweeter, more professional, or more welcoming.

I tell everyone I know that Kimpton is the only hotel to book rooms in - but they rarely believe me. It's their loss but my gain, because we've never had a bad stay, either in NYC or Philly.

Last spring we came to Philly for the AMA conference. I wanted to stay at the Palomar, but the Sofitel across the street was offering cheaper rates. I called the Palomar and asked if they could match Sofitel's price. Unfortunately, I was told no, even though I'm an Intouch member and a Kimpton groupie. The Sofitel was a disappointment (even though they offer free croissants, fruit, and espresso/cappuchino), in comparison.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
slfWestHartford,

Thanks for your kind comments about Hotel Palomar Philly and Kimpton Hotels in NYC. Our team really enjoys providing those little special touches to make your stay more enjoyable. We truly value your business and your Kimpton In Touch membership. Thanks for being a Kimpton "groupie".

We are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Wendell B.

Been to Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!