“Excellent staff, good location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Hosted Wine Hour
Ranked #3 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Princeton, New Jersey
“Excellent staff, good location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I love visiting cities and Philly is one of my favorites. I found the Hotel Palomar on Trip Advisor (naturally) and liked the reviews so I booked a room. The price was right for that particular day, too.

Valet parking is a bit confusing. The website states to pull up on the side of the hotel on Sansom Street but when I did there wasn't any sign of a valet employee or even signage stating that I was in the right spot. Thankfully, I know Philadelphia's confusing one way streets well so I was able to drive up a block or two and back around to come to the front of the hotel. I was greeted promptly by a valet and handed a ticket quickly so I could get out of the freezing cold into the hotel.

The check in receptionist was a lovely young woman who was friendly, courteous and professional. The hotel management who understands how important that is to guests will always attract repeat business no matter what other negative experience may occur. Kimpton, your management team knows what it's doing and I applaud you for that.

The room was just lovely. I often travel alone so space isn't much of an issue for me but this room was spacious. Everything was sparkling clean. The bathroom was fresh looking and the complimentary toiletries are high-end. It was super quiet and I never heard another guest in the hall or adjoining room. The view from my window was of the brick building next door but I don't care much about views when visiting cities. So, if you want a view you should probably make a point of asking for a room with a view.

The only disappointments were the bed and room service. I was surprised that I found the bed so hard and uncomfortable which caused me to wake up with a backache. Maybe it was just the bed in that particular room.

I'm an early riser so called room service around 5 a.m. to order breakfast. I was told that I couldn't order from the breakfast menu but only from the "anytime" menu. I truly do not understand why making me a pizza or quesadilla is no problem but frying a couple eggs and toasting a slice of bread is a problem at 5 a.m.? The gentleman who answered the phone was charming and apologetic and we compromised by having a pot of coffee sent up to tide me over until I could order breakfast. Again, pleasant, helpful staff makes a good impression and can smooth over difficulties except, perhaps, with the most unreasonable guests. I should add that the coffee was probably the best room service coffee I've had in recent memory.

These two disappointments are not enough to keep me from returning to the Hotel Palomar on future trips to Philadelphia. The location is fabulous, there are restaurants and shops galore. If you love tea you must visit Steap on 18th Street. Wonderful selection of teas and tea-related supplies.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Wendell B, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Barbara S,

Thanks for staying with us here at Hotel Palomar Philly. We appreciate you sharing your comments with our team. We use your comments for both recognition and improvement. Please come back and stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Philadelphia.

1,453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I booked the Palomar for a weekend to help celebrate my wife's birthday - and boy did I make the right call!

Shortly after getting situated in our room on a Friday night, we were presented with a huge slice of chocolate cake and a bottle of wine. And because we arrived after the wine social, we were remembered with a big bowl of their signature popcorn (which is unbelievably good). Talk about being treated right!

In heading out for dinner we asked about potential restaurants. The staff really knows the area - the restaurants, shops, and the events going on... If you have a question or want a suggestion, ask them - they're definetly in the know.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. We did some shopping on Saturday around Rittenhouse square and headed back to our room to drop-off our bags and get ready to go to dinner. I was surprised to find a brthday card and a 2 large (chocolate and vanilla) cupcakes from a local bakery (Brown Betty). Very thoughtful - and delicious! This hotel does customer service right!

To warrant all this attention, all I did was mention in my reservation that it was a birthday stay for my wife. She was greeted with a "Happy Birthday" when we checked in, and "we hope you enjoyed your birthday" upon checking out. While this might seem small, this kind of attention - just like the hotel itself, is special.

The hotel itself is spotless, modern, and unpretentious. The wine "happy hour" in the lobby is a relaxing mixer that you shouldn't miss. We had a King Spa room that, like others on this site have said, is an upgrade you need to make.

Go ahead and do your research - but customer service, location and price make this hotel where you want to stay in Philly.

Room Tip: Don't skimp - do the King Spa room.
EdwardG100,

Thanks for choosing Hotel Palomar Philly for your recent hotel stay. Thanks for letting us help you celebrate your wife's birthday. We really love helping our guest celebrate all occasions, so come on back to Hotel Palomar Philly for your next family celebration. We can't wait to see you again.

Brentwood, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I travel quite a bit for work and have had the opportunity to stay in a number of fine establishments. The Hotel Palomar in Philadelphia is truly an experience. The facility is in a convenient location and very well maintained. The attached restaurant and bar have excellent food, drink and atmosphere. I have enjoyed the Palomar with large groups and on my own. What truly sets them apart from others is their customer service. I have never met a staff from top to bottom who so sincerely want to make your experience pleasurable. They really go above and beyond.

Room Tip: They have corner suites that just seem more comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bill D,

Thanks for recognizing and commenting on the outstanding service that our team here at Hotel Palomar delivers to you each time that you stay with us. Our team really cares about our guests and we want them to feel like they are among friends while staying with us.

We can't wait to have you back again.

West Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our most recent 2 night stay at the Palomar was great, as it always is when we stay at a Kimpton. Our room was quiet and sunny, too - which made me very happy. Plus - we were switched to a Queen Queen, at the same rate I booked online for a King.

The hot chocolate with all the fixings (in the lobby) was a treat. The friendly staff was a plus - especially the door-opening guys, who let us in from the freezing cold with a smile all weekend. Seriously, the staff couldn't have been sweeter, more professional, or more welcoming.

I tell everyone I know that Kimpton is the only hotel to book rooms in - but they rarely believe me. It's their loss but my gain, because we've never had a bad stay, either in NYC or Philly.

Last spring we came to Philly for the AMA conference. I wanted to stay at the Palomar, but the Sofitel across the street was offering cheaper rates. I called the Palomar and asked if they could match Sofitel's price. Unfortunately, I was told no, even though I'm an Intouch member and a Kimpton groupie. The Sofitel was a disappointment (even though they offer free croissants, fruit, and espresso/cappuchino), in comparison.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
slfWestHartford,

Thanks for your kind comments about Hotel Palomar Philly and Kimpton Hotels in NYC. Our team really enjoys providing those little special touches to make your stay more enjoyable. We truly value your business and your Kimpton In Touch membership. Thanks for being a Kimpton "groupie".

We are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Winchester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

From the moment you pull up to curb you are greeted by one of the first of many friendly, helpful staff members. The warm atmosphere of the lobby (fire, refreshments, music) gives you a preview of things to come. The rooms are immaculate and comfortable. The decor is very cool. Every room has something special-japanese soaking tub, large walk-in showers and animal print bathrobes.

The hotel is located in the best area of Philly. You can walk to everything!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
innitou,

Thanks for telling everyone about the hip and happening Hotel Palomar Philly. We want you to feel welcome from the moment that you arrive. We can't wait for you to come back.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very happening place, both the public spaces and the restaurant/bar. The location is excellent, with good access to any part of Philadelphia that might appeal. The rooms are interesting in layout, very comfortably furnished, if sometimes a bit small. Great robes, too!

runhack,

Thanks for your comments about how fun and comfortable your stay was with us here at Hotel Palomar Philly. We can't wait for you to come back and visit us again.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I got in on a friday evening to stay through sunday. Couldn't have gone smoother. Front desk was painless, and advised us (me and the gf) that it was restaurant week, and reservations would be tough that night, and recommended a few places. We were given complimentary wine passes bc we just missed the wine hour. We went up to the room. Stylish and elegant. TV was wall mounted, which bests taking up desk space. The bed was a very nice queen with super comfy pillows. Bathroom was pristine. Thermostat was quick, which was great for a warmer room after the shower. Robes were provided, hung in the closet. Nice touch. As always, they provide common things that get left behind (contact solution, hairspray, etc.) with no hassle and great service.
The hotel is new, with artwork in the elevators. There lounge was perfect for a morning newspaper. OH! I can't forget, the BEST hot chocolate, with all the fixins available (marshmallows, choc chips, white choc bits, peppermint, etc). The chocolate is an absolute MUST try. Speaking of chocolate, the gym was very nice. Brand new equipment. The same new ones my gym just got to replace the old ones. It was also very clean and bright.
The first night, we took a look at all the restaurants nearby, and chose Square 1682, which was right downstairs. They took our last minute reservation with no problem. Our server was excellent, and the food and wine were top notch. They even surprised us with a free chocolate cake dessert for our anniversary. I was stuffed by then, but I couldn't complain.

My only complaint: The particular layout of our room made it feel a little small. It became more noticeable when we had three friends over. Our last kimpton room was HUGE, so maybe it's just that point of reference, plus it was a corner room. Either way, other rooms available had more sq. ft.

Room Tip: City views on the higher floors are worth it for couples.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wendell B, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Frodomodo,

Thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you and the gf had a great stay with us. Our team really enjoys taking care of our guests and making each stay special. Thanks for sharing how special they made your stay.

Please come back and stay with us again real soon.

Wendell B.

Been to Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!