“Hands Down "Best Hotel in Philly"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Philly Overnight Package
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Delray Beach, Florida
“Hands Down "Best Hotel in Philly"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Without a doubt this is the best hotel in Philly! Location, ambience, hospitality, architecture/decor and customer service were outstanding. My daughter and I stayed here to give her a break from college life and to be pampered. This hotel met all our expectations and more. From Christine, the Concierge to Kevin the bellman (including all the lovely ladies who served the beverages at the reception) everything made us feel special. I highly recommend this hotel as the BEST of the BEST! We plan on staying there again soon. I already miss it and wish we were staying longer.
Don't forget to try the popcorn at the reception!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wendell B, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
MissIntergrity,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you chose Hotel Palomar Philly to pamper your daughter on her college break. We are proud that you have named us the Best of the Best! We promise to always make you feel just as special and welcome each time that you come back.

I will make sure that I share your comments with our entire team especially Christina and Kevin.

We are looking forward to having you and your daughter come back for a visit real soon. We can't wait to see you again.

Wendell B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just came back from a weekend stay with our family and dog. We stayed in the summer at both this hotel and also the Hotel Monaco in Baltimore. Both hotels are hip, fun and a beautiful mix of old architecture and new furnishings. But just like a house doesn’t make a home-a wonderful hotel isn’t just about the rooms or décor. It is about the people. Everyone from the doormen,bellhops, front desk, the managers really care about their guests. You feel like they have just welcomed you into their home. What a very strange feeling to get this in a chain hotel- kudos to top management since this doesn’t happen without the right people.
Also a side note- pop culture and history are creatively combined in this hotel... even Ben Franklin is hip. He greets you atop the entrance and there are three colorful busts of him as you check-in... this hotel has Philly attitude- a very positive detailed and creative one-no wonder why they are the number one place to stay in Philly!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Travelgirl123z,

Thanks so much for your glowing review on Trip Advisor. We really try to make our guest feel like they are at home with family and friends when they are staying with us. Our team members genuinely love taking care of our guests and of course pet family members are just as welcome at all of our hotels.

Please come back and visit your Palomar Philly family and friends very soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a gorgeous and trendy boutique hotel in Philly. The lobby is very chic and the elevators remind me of various art galleries. The rooms are very well appointed with lovely views. However, for the money, you could find a much more spacious room at a slightly less fashionable hotel.

The staff were graceful and the beds quite comfy. We did not stay long as we were only in town to see a local concert.

All in all, the Palomar is a cool hotel that provides an interesting guest experience for the money.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a higher level if you enjoy stunning views.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hornsan1,

Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor, I will make sure that I share your comments with our team. Please come back and visit us here at Hotel Palomar Philly the next your travels bring you to Philadelphia.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent a few days/nights here as I was in a conference held at the hotel. First the good things I noted:
1) For an old building the hotel was rather clean, impressively so; perhaps they have recently remodeled, but not sure
2) The thermostats worked well in the rooms, with no vent above the bed blowing air onto you while sleeping
3) The bathroom lighting was GREAT, as was the blow dryer; having long thick hair this is a much appreciated appointment. I'm always amazed how dim the lighting in some hotel bathrooms are for the sake of style.
4) The style of the room itself was very nice; rather small, it would have been too tight for two, but for me, it was doable.

Now for the items I felt ratcheted down my experience:
1) The hotel, perhaps because it is in an old building, was very very cold.
2) The meeting room on the top floor was especially cold and the thermostat provided no real control; it was all or nothing, so we'd go from freezing (most of the time), to finally feeling some warmth, when it became too much for some of the men.
3) For a meeting with a group of Finance folks how could the hotel not expect everyone to have computers????? When we asked the staff if they had extension cords with power strips to allow us of the power outlets around the room they replied NO. Really? You had folks computers on the floor next to the wall outlets charging up as much as folks could get to them. This is just plain ignorant when a meeting is held.
4) Housekeeping was erratic, sometimes they left me toiletries, and sometimes not. When I called down for some I was brought a different assortment than prior days (ie. shampoo/conditioner on some days, shampoo/body wash on others???????). I think the line up was supposed to be shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and body lotion.
5) for two days I requested that my kleenex be replenished, each time I received a "no problem"; alas, I even pulled up the dispenser, pulled out the empty box, and left it on the counter for them to easily see I needed another. I even called down, went to dinner, came back, and they left me shampoo, but no Kleenex?
6) The hotel offers to print your boarding pass; I called and requested this service, provided the confirmation number, and indicated they should have it in an envelope for me at check out. Went to the front desk during a break, and they had no knowledge of it, asking "who did you talk to?". Hhhhm, I did not think to get the individuals name and position while requesting this offered service. I had to go back to the conference, get my confirmation number and go back to the desk.
7) Not controllable by the hotel, but the first night sleep was disturbed by the garbage trucks and breaking bottles, the second night there was some event with loud music and late/early morning revelers. After two nights of bad sleeping conditions the third night I slept fine.

The days I stayed here they may have been off for the hotel, but I will not recommend this hotel or stay again, and I do travel to Philly quite a bit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Uncork4,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We take honest feedback from our guest very seriously. It is painful to hear the not-so-good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve!

I have shared your comments with our team, and we will use them as learning opportunities and chances to grow our team.

We really try to do our best and hope that you will let us prove this to you during your next stay. Please reach out to me personally and I will make sure that we take great care of you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I would stay here 24/7. The team at Palomar made our stay feel like home, or better yet, "third place" by encapsulating comfort, sense of community, and in this case stunning architecture & design accompanied by world class hospitality. My boyfriend and I were beyond impressed with the sincerity and joyful attitudes of the staff. His review (below) goes into specific acts of kindness that we experienced-- at the risk of being redundant I must mention Kayla, Darrin, Sean, Jason, & Chef George for creating individually special experiences with their equally extraordinary personalities. I wish I had the opportunity to get the names of everyone with whom we crossed paths; we felt well cared for every moment.

What really blew me away was the genuine nature of each interaction. Being in the hospitality industry myself I often say and hear the expression “my pleasure”, enough that the meaning sometimes gets lost. The weekend at Palomar revived the intention of the phrase as it was evident that it was truly gratifying to make our stay memorable. The Palomar crew gets that one size does not fit all when it comes to hospitality, and I have no doubt that they find ways to make each guest feel like the best guest as they did for us.

The truffle oil popcorn, complimentary wine reception, bicycle loaners, décor and amenities are well-thought out examples of how outstanding quality is built into the culture at Hotel Palomar, and the people are what brought it all to life. Kimpton aced it.

Room Tip: Queen View Room 1711: off-set from the hallway, cozy without being cramped (spacious closet and slee...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Valerie S,

Wow, Thanks for the great review on Trip Advisor. We love to hear our guests say that we made them feel special. We'd let you move right in, if we could.

Our team really enjoys providing service that will make the guests want to stay longer or yearn for the chance to come back as soon as possible.

Washington DC is only a short drive or train ride away, so please come back and see us again real soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

A great staff, great rooms, great location! A first rate choice in Philly! This was exactly the kind of hotel a seasoned traveler will appreciate. There is a wonderful mix of travelers which makes for a great stay- especially during he complimentary wine hour!

Room Tip: Try to book a corner room up high for great city views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wendell B, General Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Chris B,

We are thrilled that you chose Hotel Palomar Philly for your stay. We love providing excellent service to our guests and our Wine Hour allows us to really connect with our guests.

Please come back and stay with us again the next time you are in Philly.

Happy Holidays,

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is our place to stay anytime we stay in Philly. It is like being at home. (Except much cleaner) If you bring your children they give you ideas for them and speak to them with the same importantance as you. A movie and popcorn was given on our latest visit. They adore pets. Most places although they allow pets do not give you the idea they truly want them there. The staff has always held the dogs and provided treats to ease check-in with them. Believe me they have thought of everything. If you want to take a bike ride they will actually take them out of the window and allow you to ride them. There are too many people to mention by name so every staff member will go the extra mile to help with any request. Also the most knowledgable staff in terms of the area which is in the heart of Rittenhouse and the best food and shops....

Room Tip: The hottubs are the best you will find in a hotel. More then big enough for 2.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mike W,

Wow, Thanks for letting everyone know how great out team members treated you and made you feel right at home. We do love our younger guests and the family pets just as much as we love the parents.

Lansdale is only a short drive away so please bring the family back again to visit your Palomar Philly friends.

Happy Holidays,

Wendell B.

Been to Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!