“Embodiment of Philly's "With Love" tourism campaign” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Philly Sports Package
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York, New York, United States
“Embodiment of Philly's "With Love" tourism campaign”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I've always been a huge fan of Kimpton properties, and look for them first wherever I travel, whether for business or pleasure; they truly bring together the best amenities of a large hotel chain with the friendliness and personal touch of a mom and pop-owned B&B, and the Palomar was no exception.

Nestled in one of my favorite parts of Philly, everything about my experience at the Palomar - from the warm welcome, the $10 of free mini-bar goodies I received as an InTouch member (Kimpton's terrific free loyalty program, which also offers members free wi-fi, room upgrades when available among other perks) to the comic that was slipped under my door when I mentioned to the concierge that I didn't need my usual delivery of the NYT and jokingly suggested she replace it with an Archie digest. The hotel is brand spanking new (or seems like it is), with the usual quirky chic design that Kimptons favor. (The Palomar sub-brand is about "art in motion," as shown by fun art pieces like little bronze statuettes climbing the walls in various parts of the hotel.)

The only other hotel brand I like as much as Kimpton is Starwood's W properties, and while they're fabulous in a lot of ways, I don't think I'd receive that kind of attention and return of humor from anything other than a Kimpton.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There are "city view" rooms that look out onto the cityscape; not sure what the other side...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2012
Dear Matt W,

That’s great to see you are so loyal to Kimpton! Abby our concierge shared her fun way of giving you your comic book instead on the NYT. Thank you for the great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Don’t be a stranger!

Best,

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We had a feeling that this hotel was very good from reviews and website details and we were really happy that it didn't just live up to expectation but it was better than very good. It is a modern, clean and very comfortable hotel which manages to be large and efficient as well as lending a boutique hotel feel. The staff are, without exception, helpful and courteous and show interest in your plans and if they can help with anything. The desk recommended suitable places to eat and they didn't disappoint. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody and we loved Philadelphia. A fantastic long weekend spent and my two children (aged 6 & 5) both enjoyed it tremendously.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Theoswife,

What a pleasure to read such wonderful comments! Thank you for staying with us and I am happy to see you had a great time.

Please come see us again soon!

Cheers,

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I've stayed in a number of Kimpton properties in Boston and Washington, DC and have never been disappointed; the new Palomar in Philadelphia continues my great experiences. From the valet greeting me and telling me to let the front desk know that I drive a hybrid car because it would get me a discounted room rate to the beautifully appointed, super quiet room, I couldn't have asked for more. The staff is so kind and friendly, the rooms are thoughtfully laid out and filled with little conveniences, and the bar and restaurant were excellent. We even had a celebrity chef sighting in the bar! Overall, another excellent Kimpton experience and one that reinforces why the brand is my absolute favorite among hotels.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
KellyCoulom, Front Office Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Dear Hrppa,

Great to see that we lived up to your past Kimpton experiences! Thanks for continuing to stay with us.

Director of Keeping it Consistent
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This is a great hotel in the middle of where you want to be: shopping, food, culture. The rooms are stylish and comfy. The staff is personable, accommodating and friendly. Great bar scene, too.

Dear mpTX,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Sounds like we hit on all cylinders with you. Hope to see you back soon.

Front Office Manager
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

In town 5 days for a conference, I wanted to enjoy my stay, not just survive. Upon checking reviews, I found that the conference hotel was going to be a bland, mediocre, giant, faceless corporate beast. I prefer a smaller hotel, where the staff know your name from the first day, where they go out of their way to serve you, where everyone seems happy to be working their. That's the business I choose to support.

That's EXACTLY what I got at the Hotel Palomar. Excellent service from Michael, Eric, Linsday, and everyone else at the front desk. Amazingly clean every day by the friendly housekeepers.

On top of that, a very stylish room with comfortable bed and great work area.

All in all, a perfect stay. Colleagues at the corporate conference hotel envied me.

Dear Lunachan,

Awesome comments. I'll be sure to read them over with the team, especially Michael, Eric and Lindsay. I'm so happy to read enjoyed your time in Philly and at the Palomar. Bring those friends with you next time!

See you soon,
VP of Creating a Personalized Experience
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

..mine is having a good night rest, which this hotel failed to help me with.
To be honest, we loved the layout of the room and the Spa bath is truly fantastic! The staff was ok, I guess. I did not find them particuliarly nice, nor not nice either and it is well located.
The big drawback of this hotel is that the walls are paper thin like, which implies you will hear whatever your neighbours are doing... including having sex. If it wasn't for particuliar reason, I would have recommended it, and to be honest, I was hesitant in reviewing it because at first I thought it is one of those incidents an hotel cannot really be blamed for. But when I think about it, they could have thought of a better way to set rooms next to each other. Bed to bed is not the best options to avoid hearing the other guests, and thicker walls would have been a plus. We did not hear any noise from outside, though.
So, again, I guess it depends of your priorities, if you are a light sleeper or not and who you end up next to.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandolliou,

That's tough to read. A good night's rest is certainly important when choosing a Hotel. Please contact me directly on kelly.coulom@hotelpalomar.com. I'd love to add a note to your guest profile to ensure you are in a quiet room for all return visits to a Kimpton Hotel.

Kind Regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We could only get away for a few days so we chose to head to Philly. We arrived at the hotel on a side street by car and I ran around to the front to ask where the garage was and the Front door person walked all the way back around the corner with me to take the car!. We were 1 hour ahead of check in time and waited in the bar and had very nice local brews to sip while we waited. When we got to our room we were very happy! The room was lovely and the spa tub was luxurious. We had wine hour in the lobby and the wines were very nice but the popcorn was truly yummy. I am a Kimpton member and it was my birthday so we got complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries! The Location is fabulous; I will be back soon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Marid22,

Happy Birthday! Thanks for spending it at the Palomar and for reviewing your experience! Hope to see you next year.

VP of Making Birthday's Special

Been to Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!