“Adding Kimpton's Palomar to our list of favorites.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 South 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Philly Sports Package
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Adding Kimpton's Palomar to our list of favorites.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights, visiting my significant other during a break between gigs. The eco-friendliness of Hotel Palomar in Philadelphia is very admirable. It's a hip hotel with contemporary decor. Though we weren't traveling with our dog, it's way cool that they are dog-friendly. We saw a very well behaved dog exit the elevator on the 1st day.
The entrance and valet staff appear genuinely pleasant and not sporting perma-grins like some other hotels I've been to in recent months. They were also helpful in pointing us in the direction of our destinations.
Normally I ignore the mini bar unless I'm starved, but the Kimpton's InTouch "Raid the Mini Bar" $10 welcome gift was a nice touch and I noticed that a lot of the offerings are things I'd find in my own home (Luna bar, Dagoba chocolate, Tom's of Maine toothpaste, etc.) The iPod/iPhone docking station is great. Forgot my charger at home, which turned out to not be a problem because I can listen to music while charging my phone. Love the cozy leopard print robes provided, because let's face it, who travels with their robe on short trips?
LG TV w/ basic cable + HBO was nice. (slightly bummed that Comedy Central wasn't part of to their package, oh well.)
Thankfully the hotel is conveniently situated in the middle of a lot of shops, cafes, etc. If you want coffee in your room, a small pot is going to cost over $10 w/ delivery fee & tax. A small update I'd suggest for the room is adding an energy efficient tea kettle and possibly a French Press. Coffee in a hotel room is kind of essential, in my opinion.
Love that they used Organiks recycled glass tile in the lobby area. It is made of recycled, pulverized windshields and it is a perfect example of how stylish eco-friendly design can be.
I'm disappointed that I did not make time to check out the fitness area, but colleagues who were staying here at the same time have said that it was terrific.
Another plus: We kept the 'dreaming' door hanger on the door the entire time because we prefer privacy and don't mind reusing towels during a 4 day stay. The staff did not knock and try to enter like at other hotels. Regardless of door hangers, it seems other hotel staff always wants to come into the room - but not here. The staff was respectful of our privacy. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Pleasant group of employees and fellow travelers! Even the elevator was decorated and fun. Loved the fuji tub's and the free wine happy hour. Only bad part is e noise from the club next door on 17th at 230am. Woke us all up! Even the dogs! Stay on he far side and away in weekends,,

• Stayed July 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

The location of this hotel is great-- near Rittenhouse Square and easy walking distance to lots of Philadelphia attractions. The decor inside is gorgeous and the service was good too. The daily happy hour was a nice way to meet other guests and the hostess/hosts from the hotel were lively and chatty. It was the perfect place to stay for a weekend away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed on a Saturday evening. Hotel was hip with contemporary styling. Employees were all friendly and accommodating. Wine happy hour was popular~ lobby was filled with guests enjoying their complementary wine. Hotel was in a good center city location. Valet parking was convenient. Room was a good size with a large bathroom. Beds were comfortable with city view on the 23rd floor. Small bar/restaurant on site that was busy during our stay but not mobbed. Pet friendly hotel (we however, did not travel with pets). Small, clean boutique hotel that I would definitely recommend without hesitation. Had lunch at Sabrina's (cool and hip with great attentive staff; vegetarian friendly). Enjoyed brunch at Farmicia (they have a brunch happy hour~ a nice bonus on a Sunday morning).

Room Tip: if view is important, request a high floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear Kimandremy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with future travelers! I’m very happy to hear that you and your girlfriends enjoyed your stay and will be recommending us. Sabrina's is a great place and one of my favorites, I really like their portions as they are gigantic and not far from the hotel too. I hope I have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Best,

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager
Hotel Palomar
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I stayed here for business recently. The hotel is centrally located downtown and about 2 blocks from the trains/subway. You can walk to everything downtown with ease. The lobby isn't large, but like most Kimptons, rather "hip" with interesting decor. The bar is not bad with some nice beer selections. I had a queen room with a city view. The view is pretty good. I had a corner room that had a unique design to it. The bedroom itself is not very big, but the bed is comfortable and there is a nice flat screen TV on the wall. The bathroom is also not big, but has nice bath products and a nice shower. Overall, the hotel was clean both in the hallways and in the room. For the value and location, this is a fine place to stay while in Philly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed 1 night to celebrate our anniversary. Upon arrival, we didn't have reservations, but easily got a king size bed/ spa bath room. I do not like that the rates they have on their website aren't the ones you are told when you inquire of rates at the front desk upon arrival. I had to ask for the rates I had seen, and it still didn't get as low as what I had seen online. If you are a member of their rewards program on their hotel website, they offer you other perks, but unforunately we were not, and just had to listen to all the others checking in being told of the mini-bar credit in their rooms. The front desk attendant seemed to snub us and at first impression, I felt the place was too uppity up. After getting to our room, we were very happy with the accomodations. The upgrade to the king spa bathroom is definitely worth it for a special occasion. You get a large walk in shower with a very large jacuzzi. Parking costs $40/night, and we were allowed to leave our car parked until 6pm of the day we checked out. There is no coffee in the rooms, and the morning coffee only goes till 9am, so we missed that. Had to walk to Liberty Place Shoppes to get coffee then. I would recommend they get coffeemakers for in the rooms. All in all, if you like modern decor, you will love the rooms.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I stayed here at the last minute since a previous hotel I had booked was oversold. Turned out to be my lucky day. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and comfortable. I love the bath products too. And how you can you not like a hotel that has prezel time in the afternoon? Or a happy hour? Or cannolis and delicious hot coffee all complimentary? I also joined Kimpton rewards so I got free internet while staying there. They also gave me a $10 credit for the mini-bar in the room, which is apparently standard upon check-in. Location is right in Center City Philly so it's walking distance to quite a lot. Parking is an issue-I recommend using valet. Restaurant was a bit pricey, but good. Overall I recommend this hotel when staying in Center City.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
obriggs, Manager at Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Dear Liisaco,

It sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay with us! I'm glad you treated yourself to our pretzels, cannolis and happy hour every night. Thank you for joining our rewards program, your loyalty is greatly appreciated!

Been to Hotel Palomar Philadelphia - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!