“Well worth it” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Lido Beach NY
“Well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Honestly, I loved this hotel. Close to everything for a tourist! Arrived before noon & was lucky that a room was ready. Gorgeous sizable room. Like the refurbished building with exposed brick. Honestly, I parked two blocks away to save money and recommend the same if you're okay to walk to car. Downtown location, very convenient & close to great bars/restaurants. I recommend this hotel to anyone I know going to Philadelphia. One downside to those who care, the bar is tiny and the bartender the only rude guy I met in the city.

Room Tip: I was a walk from elevators & heard nothing from anyone, not even housekeeping. No idea about po...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Le Meridien hotels are normally quite pleasant and luxurious. The one in Philadelphia is essentially a nightclub on the ground floor, pumping loud techno music in almost pitch black darkness. It took us a while to find the front desk, because you enter the hotel into a bar.

They also charge $10/day for internet use in the rooms and they were not even able to get the internet functioning in our room at all. I will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Nicole,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize that you did not find the hotel to your liking.

Our entrance is unique in that our guests arrive into the active hub area with the front office located to the left. As we restored this 100 year old historic building, we were limited in where we could place the bar to preserve the historical nature of the space. The plumbing dictated the location for the bar. I recognize this non traditional arrival did not enhance your experience. I will review the music programme to ensure it is appropriate for the time of day and lends the appropriate energy to the space.

Traveler tip: internet is complimentary in the lobby area and business center.

I hope you will reconsider staying in our hotel as we value your business as much as your feedback.

Enjoy the rest of your summer,
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel has a beautiful and modern design with a little historic charm. Decoration in the room is also modern and good-looking, but the room is too small. The Bar/restaurant is fine but pricey. The staff we came in contact with were very pleasant and friendly. Great location with easy access to main attractions, great for sightseeing, shopping and dining, some homeless people around, but it looks like a safe zone. If you have a car consider one of the public parking around, this hotel has no self parking, so you need to use the valet service which is a little bit expensive (about $50/day including tip). Great value, considering the nightly rate we got! Overall I would rate it between 3 1/2 and 4 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very nicely done conversion of an old hostel in a good location in Philadelphia. Tasteful modern decor, but rooms a little small. Staff very friendly & helpful. Plenty of restaurants within 15 mins walk or a short taxi ride

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Okay, here it goes. The lobby of the hotel is very much clubbed out like a W. The greeting and check-in were great. The bar looked very cool both in design and furnishings. I am SPG Gold, so upon check-in I was told that I was getting a room upgrade - great and asked if i needed a late check out, which I did for 4pm. All great up till now.

Take the elevator up the the top floor and it started to feel very odd. The 'atrium' space was not very inviting. I later learned that it used to be an old YMCA (? source unconfirmed). The hallway was rambling and felt very institutional.

So, I get to the room, which was very large and spacious. Looking at the floor map, it certainly was upgraded for size. The furnishings, while nice, were a little too minimal in a room of this size. The freestanding wardrobe was very out of place and odd. The bathroom was large and very well laid out. So, I walk to the window to look outside, and i see another brick building wall 5 feet way. So, I guess the trade off for the larger size was a gloomy brick wall view and no natural light. I was on the top floor, I can only imagine what rooms below must have had for natural light.

There is a full sized gym with discounted admission next door, which is a great amenity. The gym is well stocked with cardio and weight training machines, free weights and benches. It is, however, a bit rough around the edges. Clearly an inner city gym.

The location is good for easy access to the downtown area, but the neighborhood is a bit rough. I had read other reviews where travelers commented that they were afraid to be out after dark. I did not fear being out, but the transients and locals were a bit offsetting. I have stayed at the Westin downtown, which is only 6 blocks way. The neighborhood there is a significant improvement over this location.

So there it is. For the experience of the people and amenities, the hotel is great. The room experience, however, knocks it down. I am a fan of Le Meridien properties, so perhaps my expectation was a bit higher. I will probably return to the Wesin on my next trip to Philadelphia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at the Meridien over a long weekend. Easy late check-in by Elizabeth and early check-out by a very nice lady whose name I didn't get. The staff are great. Friendly, courteous and professional. Ate in the Amuse Restaurant my last night. Highly recommended. Steve, the waiter, couldn't have been more accommodating.

If you like to walk, as I do, the Meridien is convenient to everything. Very centrally located. Otherwise, take the Phlash which only operates until October. It's $2 for each ride, but well worth it if your feet and back give out as mine sometimes do.

Looking forward to a return trip to the Meridien and Philly sometime in the Spring.

Room Tip: I had a room that faced an alley in the back of the hotel. However, if you're a "view"...
Green Features: The Meridien has an eco-friendly policy. The hotel allows you to place a card on the outside door handle that alerts the housekeeping staff not to make up the room. If you're a Starwood member, you get points added to your account.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Richard,

Thank you for your FIVE STAR review! We are delighted you enjoyed our great staff and Amuse Restaurant. I will share my appreciation with Elizabeth and Steve for personally contributing to your experience.

We look forward to serving you again!

Charlottesville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here with a friend last weekend and we both came away with mixed reviews on this hotel. The hotel itself was very nice and was clean, and the location is decent enough. However, there were a couple serious issues we had. First, the more minor one, the Meridien was advertised as a Rittenhouse Square property, which is where we thought we'd be, but as it turns out was just 2 blocks from the convention center, which made it a much longer walk down to the restaurants and night life we wanted to check out down in Rittenhouse. That was a little annoying.

Also, the day of my arrival, they had rented out the hotel atrium to a private party who blasted intensely loud house music all afternoon and early evening. It made it difficult to check in, and was noisy throughout the hotel. And every time I tried to use the elevators, there was a ten minute wait because of all the people coming in and out of the private party.

The parking situation was also bad - $48 a day for valet parking was the only option.

But the service in the hotel was far more distressing. I was particularly displeased by the fridge situation. They had told us on the phone before we arrived that we could request a mini-fridge be brought up to our room, but wouldn't let us request it in advance - we had to do it the day of arrival. So after checking in early afternoon, I quickly called from the room to ask if one was available and to see if we could request it, the lady told me yes and that it would be brought right up. So I went out and grabbed some sandwiches from the Reading Market and a couple six packs of very expensive craft beer, expecting to have the fridge to store it in. I also got some caffeinated soda to drink in the morning, as the hotel does not have ANY soda machines or gift shop to buy a cold soda in the morning, except from their very expensive restaurant/bar. However, when I get back to the room, there's a message saying that no fridges were available. I was not happy since I knew I'd have to fill up the sink with ice, re-fill it periodically, and more importantly not have the regular use of my sink for the night, but was reassured when I called back down and was told I could request a fridge for the next morning and that one would be brought up to our room shortly after 12 noon. However, the next day no fridge is sent up. So by 3 or 4 pm, I called down to the front desk to inquire about it, and was told they would check it out and get back to me. At the same exact moment, my friend was downstairs at the front desk as I was on the phone with the front desk, listening to the front desk's end of my phone conversation, as he was calling me on my cell phone. I see the call from my friend on the cell and wait until I am off the phone with the front desk 4 or 5 seconds later and call my friend back, and my friend later tells me that the guy at the front desk was looking at the woman next to him making faces about how ridiculous I was being with my request to have a fridge sent up. Needless to say, very unprofessional. A few hours pass, and still no word back from the front desk. At this point I had given up, but my friend later calls down again later in the evening to find out what had happened. They said they were out and must have forgotten to call us back to let us know. Now, I realize not all hotels offer to bring up mini-fridges to the rooms, which is fine. But if you advertise to your guests in advance that this is an amenity you provide, and your guests rely on that assurance in stocking the room, you have to do better in providing that amenity. Or at least in making an effort to provide it. Or at least apologize when you can't. Or at the very least, don't openly make fun of your guests when you can't provide it. At least in front of other hotel guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Yankeebaseball,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your positive comments that the hotel was nice and clean. Clearly I owe you an apology for the other experiences that were not as they should be.

The event in the atrium was louder than we expected and I understand it affected your quiet enjoyment of the space. We felt comfortable booking the group with their event ending about dinner time. We will make efforts to not let this happen again. Our hotel is within walking distance of Rittenhouse as disclosed at .8 miles on our website. Some travel sites geographically cluster hotels, so I would need your reservation or specific stay information to address this issue. Lastly, I am very sorry about the entire refrigerator issue. We have a significant inventory of refrigerators and it appears they were fully committed, however we certainly should have handled the situation better.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again and earn your respect for our commitment to a great guest experience. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any service. Evan.gm@lemeridienphiladelphia.com. Thank you for your business and your feedback.

Regards,
Evan

Traveler tip: valet parking is $40 plus taxes and provides unlimited in and out curb service. Self parking alternatives do exist and various rates and locations around the hotel. Our valet staff can provide you with directions to those parking lots but cannot provide cost information as it varies day by day and facility by facility. At times it can be as affordable as $10 per day and as expensive as $50 per day with charges applied each time you access your vehicle.

Been to Le Meridien Philadelphia? Share your experiences!