“a great hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1421 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102   |
Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“a great hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

was right across from city hall which is quite a site at night...the staff was unsurpassed by any hotel's that I stayed at in quite a while...the room was comfortable, modern and relatively large...valet parking was a bit steep though

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Berkeley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The good: the room was quiet, and clean. The bathroom was large. The bed reasonably comfortable.

The bad: the room was small and dark. I stayed there three nights. Once, after a long day I returned to the room wanting nothing more than a shower and a nap before leaving again for the evening. The room hadn't been made up. I called. Profuse apologies -- they would be right there. An hour passed. Nothing. I called again. Nothing happened. After about an hour and fifteen minutes I went down the the front desk to beg for some clean towels. Then they cleaned it. But, needless to say, I never got any shuteye. Parking is over $40 per night. You can park yourself around the corner but it still costs $28 and you pay each time you exit the lot. No doorman, so I had to lug my bags up the stairs to the door (maybe that's why they call it luggage).

So, I give this an average rating. It could be better with a little more effort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Pros: a fair price ($165 USD per night, including taxes, on expedia), friendly & competent staff, great location, good-sized rooms & bathrooms, comfortable beds, modern furnishings, and a well-decorated lobby.

Cons (there weren't alot!): a small gym (but the one next door only charges $10 for the day), thin walls, and it took awhile to clear the empty room service dishes in the hallways.

One thing to note: a lot of the rooms face the interior. However, if you like sleeping-in, this is more of a "pro" than a "con" because your room stays dark.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Bid and got two nights on Priceline. Was disappointed with calling hotel and requesting note for king request, but Megan Furlong handled and took really good care of my wife and I. Property is super cool in old building in downtown Philly. Valet parking is expensive at $40. Cheaper self park options around the corner by Convention Center. Weekend rates at one run $15 for overnight and is less than 3/4 mile walk. Overall would recommend hotel again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

One night stay as planned. The modern minimalist room provided the essentials; the room has a large bathroom. My room was clean; the staff was pleasant. To get to my room, there were long hallways and several turns but I found it. The Le Meridien has front steps without a doorman and it is on a one way street. It is located between McDonald’s on one corner, convenient store on the other corner, surrounded by parks and public service buildings. I ate dinner at the hotel bar and the food was tasty and reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My SO and I stopped at the Le Meridien overnight en route to a wedding and overall it was a pleasant stay; staff was very lovely and upgraded suite reminded me of a city W with modern furnishings and amenities. The location was also great, in the heart of the city and quick walk to all the sites; would also recommend for a stopover as it is very near the major highways.

Now, the downside is this hotel is in an old YMCA and looks it. You walk into the lobby which can hardly be called a lobby, and check in via ONE person at a small desk, so we waited about 20-30 minutes both at check in and check out. The ambiance of the lobby also was not that great as they still have renovations to do. The very kind and helpful staff tried to make up for the wait, honestly a free cocktail would have won me over after a long drive, but was not offered.

I would also say the valet was not that great; we asked that our car be moved ASAP because there was a backup and the car was double parked, however we had to remind them to please move it after it had been sitting outside unattended for 30 minutes. For the price of this hotel, really just unacceptable.

Overall, I would come back, but give this property a year to clean up the facilities and get a better rhythm to their staff processes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed there as part of a wedding party for 4 nights. Arrived around midnight and there was no doorman and no one to help to carry the luggage up the steps (hotel lobby is about 10 steps from the street). Checked into a superior room that consisted of basically a bed and a 70s style chair and table. The next day went to work out at the so called gym that consisted of some work out equipment cramped into a small, smelly room. 2 out of 3 treadmills were not operational. after returning to the room to take a shower I found the shower stall with molds all around it with soap scum for about 2 feet from the floor on the shower door. We were in a rush so did not mention anything We found the room not been made up when we got back at 6:00 pm and called the housekeeping. They were very apologetic and delivered some towels so we can take showers with the promise that the room will be made up right after we leave. Came back at 12:00 and found the room as we left it. Called the housekeeping and was offered to clean it at that time. We were too tired so we refused. I picked up the ice bucket to get some ice and found water (melted ice) from the previous guest in it. The next day I complained to the front desk manager since the GM was not available. He was very apologetic (again) and promised that it will be taken care of. What happened? Nothing really. The soap scum is there , the mold is there but they send us a piece of chocolate cake and two glasses of wine the next day and deposited some points in my SPG account. They are truly clueless and pathetic. I would not stay there even for free. In face I would have left if I was not part of the wedding party.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LM-PHL, Assistant General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
SFShawn:

As a team we take all feedback as an opportunity to learn, improve and perform better; the experience you have shared will certainly serve as a learning opportunity for our various teams and will assuredly inspire our team to perform better.

I apologize for the poor impression we created and assure you our team is deeply disappointed that we allowed such a poor experience to perpetuate. I have challenged our various department managers to seek solid long term improvements in the way team members are trained and gym equipment is checked. Our genuine goal is to present a wonderful experience and we will work diligently to make this happen.

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback.

Adi Altman
Assistant General Manager

Been to Le Meridien Philadelphia? Share your experiences!