“Trendy, but poorly lit.” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1421 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102   |
Ranked #26 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
New Haven, Connecticut
“Trendy, but poorly lit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here because of a winning priceline bid. Given the right price, I would definitely stay again. The hotel is in a good location for people who want to visit a variety of attractions in Philadelphia and are willing to walk to do so. We walked 2-3 miles both days we were there. For my family, that's a great way to see a city, but it's not everyone's idea of a vacation.

The hotel itself was clean and had great service. The vibe was definitely trendy, but everything was so dark! Maybe I'm sounding a bit older than I am by complaining that there wasn't enough light in the hotel. It just seemed that all of the common spaces were very poorly lit. The room had a number of lighting fixtures, but still seemed dark. Our windows looked onto an interior courtyard. It was a great use of space, but again, didn't allow much light.

All in all, a very good place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Laura,

Thank you for the sharing your experience! I am delighted you enjoyed our great service and clean hotel. Our central location does provide a fantastic starting point to enjoy all Philadelphia has to offer.

I hope we have the opportunity to host you again.

Safe travels,
Evan

687 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
largo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The room was cute, small but cute. View was bad because we were on the back side of the building. I feel like the bathroom could have been cleaner. Front desk people were pleasant and helpful. We wanted to walk around after check out but our car was in valet so they held our stuff for us. I wouldnt say it was worth the money but you pay for the area really.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the front side of the building otherwise you will be looking at the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The room was dirty at my time of arrival I ask to speak to the cleaning supervisor. She explained to me with an attitude after asking her a few questions I even asked for a few more amenities and she rolled her eyes at me. I would never stay there again

• Stayed March 2013
Ggree
Thank you for your feedback. Please allow me to apologize that we missed the opportunity to better serve you. I would like to use your feedback to ensure we address the issue. Would you be so kind as to contact me and provide me some details about your stay, this will enable me to address the appropriate individuals.
I hope you will reconsider staying in our hotel and give us the opportunity to earn your business and respect for our commitment to excellence.
Regards,
Evan
Evan.gm@lemeridienphiladelphia.com
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I just returned from a weekend stay at the Le Meridian in downtown Philly. I stayed there because I wanted to use a Starwood Property, and the location was adequate. I did find that for what I wanted to see, the historic colonial sites, I maybe should've stayed in the Old Town section to be closer, but it was Ok walking 20 minutes to it, taking a cab, or riding the subway to get there.
Things that I didn't like:
*The bathroom doors are not real doors, and this appears to be in all rooms. They are sliding doors, and it doesn't really "seal" the bathroom doorway completely as there's gaps, so you feel like you don't have privacy in the bathroom.
* I saw a couple of rooms, and each had one bathrobe only in each. One bathrobe per room? That's strange.
* We had a room with a bathtub shower, and the shower curtain's liner wasn't long enough to reach the top of the tub. I left it as is with the outer curtain hanging outside the tub and water got all over the floor. I tried again and put the outer curtain in the tub, and because it was fabric it got soaked and heavy- just strange.
* Our clock radio was unplugged in our room, and when I plugged it in I realized that the time could not be set. It was broken, and that's why it was unplugged. Why didn't the housekeeping attend to this before we arrived? I ended up leaving a note about the clock.
* We booked a double bed room but asked if we could get a king at check in. The reason why we couldn't get the king room was not because there were no rooms available, but because there "was a problem" with king duvets. I'm assuming this meant a laundry problem. That didn't impress me.
* On Saturday after being gone the whole day, we arrived back at 5:30pm to find our room had not been serviced by housekeeping. That was just way too late in my opinion. The Manager said it was because a lot of people like late service, but I want the bed made before 5:30pm.
* The valet told us to wait 15 minutes for our car, but then after 15 minutes they seem to have forgotten about getting the car, and we had to wait another 10-15 minutes.
* Although we were SPG Gold, we were told that because we booked a superior room, that they couldn't upgrade us to anything else. Am I supposed to think that we had the nicest room in the hotel? I don't think so.
* Cheap bathroom amenities. The shampoo barely suds, and no shower cap.

Things that I liked:
*After I emailed the hotel during my stay, the Gen Manager apologized for the troubles and offered us complimentary wine or dinner at their nice restaurant. We opted for breakfast, and I was happy that the effort to make us happier guests was made.
*The location was definitely central in the city, so it worked our nicely.
* The decor was hip and chic, and I liked all of the modern touches. It had a bit of nightclub vibe, and that was a nice change of pace from other hotels. It wasn't noisy like a nightclub, so I don't want to give out the wrong idea.
* We had a decent view of the capital building on the 6th floor, but higher would've been better.
* Nice happy hour specials at the bar, and the bartender was great on Friday 4/26.
*Breakfast was good. I like my french toast, and they served Illy coffee which was nice.

Other things about the city:
Subway is 2.00, and you must have exact change. They have people in windows at the stations where you can buy tokens, but they required exact change. Its the stupidest thing I've seen. They are paying a person to do the job of a machine, what a waste of money.

Room Tip: Looking out the front to see the capital building is nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Renovated building done in a sleek style. Super close to Suburban Station, so if you arrive by train to the city, it is only a minute walk ( free transfer to suburban lines if you have Amtrak ticket)

Hotel is pleasant, music plays sometimes a bit jarringly when it's retro disco throughout common areas.

We appreciated the room darkening curtains and found the beds very comfortable. Clean, good service and large rooms.

It would have been nice to have a simple coffee/fruit and bagel breakfast .... For the price of the room . We steered clear of the overpriced breakfast and walked the few blocks to Reading Trrminal Market ... Where lots of great options abound.

Location great . Walk to historic area 15 mins, Chinatown 8 mins, Rittenhouse Square , 20 mins.

• Stayed April 2013
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night. We had a morning commitment and hadn't planned to do much that night. The staff was polite. But I was a bit disappointed with the atmosphere. We'd planned to go for dinner and then get a drink at the bar, but it was not welcoming.

The basics of the room were clean, but there were a few points of long-term cleaning or maintaince that were missing. I'm rather critical of cleanliness, and I'd stay here again.

We reserved a king room and did get one with an outside-facing window, which was nice. It was a handicap accessible room, which may have been the reason for it being spacious.

Be careful of the minibar area. I dropped something I was putting in the safe, it knocked a package atop the mini fridge and I was charged for it. The receipt slipped under our door said "room service add cheese." When I mentioned it at checkout the receptionist told me that was the minibar, but she took it off when I explained we hadn't taken anything. It seems like that charge should be more clear and the thing shouldn't be so ultra sensitive.

We did eat breakfast in the restaurant. The food was OK but seemed overpriced, even for a city.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed 3 nights. The room was comfortable and well appointed. I had room service several times for a variety of different meals/meal times, and the food was always good and on-time. The service throughout the hotel was friendly and nice, although not particularly polished at times. The gym is ok, although it would be helpful if they labeled those bikes which were no longer working. It was also in a very uninviting and uninspired space, would be better if the viewers were to the outside rather than into a hallway area. The real frustrations occurred with two items and they are quite important -- one is the reception/check-in area ... instead of being located when you first enter the hotel lobby, it is hidden around the corner to the left and it is not at all obvious. If it were in the center of the lobby, it would be more dramatic and inviting vs. the bar and tables that are located in the center which do not look like much of anything, particularly when there is no one hanging out there for a drink. The second and even more frustrating item was the doorman service -- none of the doormen were particularly helpful, in fact they were very annoying at times. I had arranged my own taxi to pick me up at the hotel on both days and they seemed annoyed with this, since it appeared that they had made arrangements with various cars who they intended to provide passengers to, probably for a kickback. It just seemed as if they were a bit shady and unhelpful. Given the rather steep steps that are required to enter the hotel, this aspect should be improved upon so that guests arriving feel well looked after and are quickly supported fully as they enter or exit the hotel with friendliness and help with their bags.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Le Meridien Philadelphia? Share your experiences!