I just returned from a weekend stay at the Le Meridian in downtown Philly. I stayed there because I wanted to use a Starwood Property, and the location was adequate. I did find that for what I wanted to see, the historic colonial sites, I maybe should've stayed in the Old Town section to be closer, but it was Ok walking 20 minutes to it, taking a cab, or riding the subway to get there.
Things that I didn't like:
*The bathroom doors are not real doors, and this appears to be in all rooms. They are sliding doors, and it doesn't really "seal" the bathroom doorway completely as there's gaps, so you feel like you don't have privacy in the bathroom.
* I saw a couple of rooms, and each had one bathrobe only in each. One bathrobe per room? That's strange.
* We had a room with a bathtub shower, and the shower curtain's liner wasn't long enough to reach the top of the tub. I left it as is with the outer curtain hanging outside the tub and water got all over the floor. I tried again and put the outer curtain in the tub, and because it was fabric it got soaked and heavy- just strange.
* Our clock radio was unplugged in our room, and when I plugged it in I realized that the time could not be set. It was broken, and that's why it was unplugged. Why didn't the housekeeping attend to this before we arrived? I ended up leaving a note about the clock.
* We booked a double bed room but asked if we could get a king at check in. The reason why we couldn't get the king room was not because there were no rooms available, but because there "was a problem" with king duvets. I'm assuming this meant a laundry problem. That didn't impress me.
* On Saturday after being gone the whole day, we arrived back at 5:30pm to find our room had not been serviced by housekeeping. That was just way too late in my opinion. The Manager said it was because a lot of people like late service, but I want the bed made before 5:30pm.
* The valet told us to wait 15 minutes for our car, but then after 15 minutes they seem to have forgotten about getting the car, and we had to wait another 10-15 minutes.
* Although we were SPG Gold, we were told that because we booked a superior room, that they couldn't upgrade us to anything else. Am I supposed to think that we had the nicest room in the hotel? I don't think so.
* Cheap bathroom amenities. The shampoo barely suds, and no shower cap.
Things that I liked:
*After I emailed the hotel during my stay, the Gen Manager apologized for the troubles and offered us complimentary wine or dinner at their nice restaurant. We opted for breakfast, and I was happy that the effort to make us happier guests was made.
*The location was definitely central in the city, so it worked our nicely.
* The decor was hip and chic, and I liked all of the modern touches. It had a bit of nightclub vibe, and that was a nice change of pace from other hotels. It wasn't noisy like a nightclub, so I don't want to give out the wrong idea.
* We had a decent view of the capital building on the 6th floor, but higher would've been better.
* Nice happy hour specials at the bar, and the bartender was great on Friday 4/26.
*Breakfast was good. I like my french toast, and they served Illy coffee which was nice.
Other things about the city:
Subway is 2.00, and you must have exact change. They have people in windows at the stations where you can buy tokens, but they required exact change. Its the stupidest thing I've seen. They are paying a person to do the job of a machine, what a waste of money.
Looking out the front to see the capital building is nice.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.