“Modern Hip Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Modern Hip Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was in Philadelphia for a quick visit to attend a concert. The staff at Le Meridien were extremely helpful in assisting me with a crash course of the Philadelphia subway system. The decor is very modern, sleek and hip and the music they softly pipe through the hallways and elevator is great. The location seems like it's in a great spot for touring although I didn't have time for that. Great bathrooms, plush bed - overall a very nice hotel.

The only downside is that it's a little odd getting into reception. The front doors lead you into the bar and you have to know to walk to the left. There's no signage and it's very strange traipsing through the bar with your luggage to check-in. It would make me less likely to use the bar as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

721 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The compensation (food credit) for reduced room upkeeping is a very good policy.
The Concierge service is very proactive and efficient.

Only minus: it is surprising, nowaday, to see charges for room internet.
As far as the "Business Center" is concerned, it could easily be upgraded ... .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Louisam663,

Thank you for your kind comments. I’m delighted to hear you took advantage of our “green choice” which helps to reduce our carbon footprint and rewards you with SPG points or a credit for our bar and restaurant. We currently have plans to upgrade the technology in our business center and look forward to being able to offer that by this summer.

As a tip for all travelers, we do offer complimentary WiFi in the lobby, restaurant, bar and a hard connection in the business center.

I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again and thank you for your business and feedback.
Safe travels,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have now stayed twice at this property and each time I have never been upgraded. Yet, when I check for rooms on spg.com after checking-in there are upgraded rooms available!

When I brought my iPhone showing the available rooms to the front desk manager's attention, she begrudgingly upgraded me.

STAY AWAY! The Westin does a much better job with the Platinum Upgrades in Philly! Not to mention the small rooms and bathrooms at the Le Meridien.

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Markatom,

Please allow me to apologize that we did not immediately upgrade you to a suite when was available. Your loyalty is appreciated and I realized we failed to reward you accordingly on this visit.

I appreciate your feedback as it will enable me to ensure we look for ways to create a better experience for you and all our Platinum guests.

Regards,
Southwest Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Business brought me to Philly and I was a little skittish of staying at Le Meridien versus my usual. I had no reason to be concerned. The hotel is fully restored, smart, a little hip with a welcoming staff (who laughed at my lame jokes), clean, large rooms, and very serviceable work out facility, and a surprisingly good and good value restaurant on-site. Philly has a lot to offer and the hotel, near suburban station is very easy to get to from the airport (take the train just past 30th street for $7 a person). If you happen to be in town for something at the convention center, comcast center, or business (like me) near city hall - the location is terrific. If you are looking for something near the museums, it is a bit of a hike. The hotel a few blocks away from the wonderful reading market - chock full of goodies. sansome street resturants are just a few blocks away, though you probably want to take the subway to the liberty bell and independence hall area. There is an eclectic lobby bar - not the greatest selection, nor the cheapest (for cheap go two doors down) - but completely welcoming at the end of the day.
There are a lot of hotel options in Philly. This one is a very good choice. My only complaint - the front door is kinda hard to navigate, especially with luggage, but the door staff is very helpful. Note to hotel - please, please, please keep the housekeeper who sings! She has a startling, lovely voice! What a treat!

Room Tip: the odd number rooms seemed very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were meeting a group of friends to tour the Philly Flower Show. They all chose Marriott hotels. Even though I am a loyal Marriott member, I wanted something other than a "typical" convention hotel, so chose Le Meridien. A great choice! It is perfectly located, just near City Hall, and has a perfect, modern feel. My room was not large, but large enough. It was furnished with quality modern furniture (Fritz Hansen tables, etc. - it looked like a page from the Design within Reach catalog). The bed was extremely comfortable. Room service breakfasts were delicious and decently priced for a city hotel. The only odd thing about the hotel is the entrance. When we were dropped off, we thought the cab driver had taken us to the wrong door. You have to go up several steps (there must be a handicapped entrance, but I didn't see it) and then push open some very heavy, unwelcoming doors. You walk right into the bar scene, which was hopping with Thursday evening happy hour. Registration is tucked away in a corner around from the bar. Once you get over that, however, the experience is pretty wonderful.

Room Tip: My friend had a room near where wedding guests were staying. It was loud at 1 in the morning. I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited Philadelphia for a weekend getaway and chose the Le Meridien based on its location and the fact that the rooms could accommodate our three-person family. It turned out to be the perfect place for us. The location was, as expected, good. The staff was terrific. The front door operation could improve its interface with the rest of the hotel when it comes to arranging taxis, but other than that the staff could not have been more welcoming, more efficient or more interested in providing a positive experience for guests.
The hotel's interior design is what gives the place pop. It's modern and stylish enough to make any urban couple or family feel at home, and welcoming enough to appeal, I suspect, to just about anyone.
Philadelphia's tourism marketing angle seems to be based on the word "love", and Robert Indiana's iconic LOVE sculpture is in a square across the street from the hotel. The Le Meridien was a perfect base for a weekend; we "love"d the city and the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our room was nice, spacious, and clean. We had a great view of City Hall, which we requested. I was disappointed that there were no extra amenities. I would have liked to have a coffee pot in the room, especially for the price we paid. I think it is great for a short stay, but I would find other accommodations if I was staying longer than one night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Roxanne,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. I am glad you were able to enjoy our spacious and clean rooms. It is great that you got one of our superior rooms that do offer a spectacular vista of City Hall.

All of our guest rooms do offer coffee makers. They are located in the armoire just below the safe and above the refreshment centre. I’m sorry that wasn’t more obvious but wanted to be sure you knew you could enjoy it when you return.

I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again. Please feel free to contact me if I can ever be of service 215.422.8200.

Safe travels,
Evan

Been to Le Meridien Philadelphia? Share your experiences!