“Impressed” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
NJ
“Impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hands down to the doormen. They were just great! They set the tone for the stay: young, friendly, and professional staff. Everyone was accomidating as possibly during our visit. It's not your average "stuck up" 4+ star hotel, so don't go if you are looking for flaws. It's a layed back atmosphere in a sophisticated setting. You can be dressed up or dressed down. The "front desk" is actually to your far left. Welcoming reception. It was as if they couldn't do enough for us. I had called in the night before and asked if all alcohol be removed from mini-fridge.. not a problem. Our room was just as described over the phone. We were placed on the top floor (preferred guest) without any request. Take note: you will be charged a $75 deposit fee for room costs that will be refunded. I wasn't aware of this and brought it to front desk's attention. They were very sympathetic and comped us a free breakfast and beverages. (Refund arrived next day in account). Room was clean, small (which I had expected), and minimalist. No bells and whistles if you are used to that. We liked it just the way it was. Wish there was a bath, but the shower was just fine. I would suggest they offer a bit more in the bathroom (shower caps,...something more than just shamp, cond, and lotion). Closet was full of creature comforts (robe, coffee, fridge, etc). Room service was fast! Food was pricey yet great (my tea was organic!). If you have time, wander around the place! A lot of interesting artistic flair here and there. It's just a very comfortable hotel that you can either feel like royalty in or just hang out in jeans- it's a flexible setting. Location is awesome for those of us who like to walk around the city. Great pubs, restaurants and shops within blocks. We enjoyed lounging on the velvet couch cushions soaking in the atmosphere and admiring the old woodwork while the fire crackled. If you hate techno/electronica music, be prepared. It's subtle enough, but non-stop (didn't bother us). We'll be back.

Room Tip: Call the night before and tell them what you're expecting! Communication is key!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This Meridien is stylistically like other Meridiens. It is a little like staying at a nightclub but cheaper than the W hotels. My problem with this property was the room was filthy dirty. When I complained to staff they didn't seem to care and said they hotel is older. There were many stains on the carpet and one particular stain was sticky. Just gross. There was a small brown stain on one of the pillow cases and there was a brown stain on the duvet cover which the maid had hidden on the underside when the bed was made up.

The hotel location is not ideal. If you are going to a convention, this property is about 2 blocks to the convention centre. If you are going to drive outside the city, this property is very easy access to the Vine Street Expressway which will connect you to the major expressways in Philadelphia.

Two weeks after my stay, I received additional charges on my business credit card. They were charges for items I consumer (2 packs of cookies from the minibar and 1 cup of coffee from the restaurant). But I had asked the front desk to move those charges to my personal debit card which they did. My debit card was charges that day. However, the hotel charged my corporate Amex card for these same charges. So I had to go through the trouble of calling to find out what was going on and to get this adjusted which the accounting department ultimately agreed to do. I am still waiting to see the credit come through. Fingers crossed.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying at The Westin which is a much nicer property and cleaner.
Mountaintop, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We recently stayed overnight. We were looking for a hotel within walking distance to Hahnemann hospital, as my wife had an early admission. Everyone we encountered was cordial and professional. Our room was nice with a good sized bathroom. The snack fridge came in handy for me during the on-demand movie(sky fall). I can't say we were able to sleep, because of our anxiety of my wife's pending hospitalization, but the beds were comfortable. It took us three minutes to walk to Hahnemann a little after 5am, we felt safe, as the City was starting to wake. I was able to keep my car in valet and the front desk held my luggage, giving more time to be at Hahnemann. Thanks Le Meridien will be back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Duke2e,

I’m delighted we were able to provide some comfort and hospitality for your stay. I am hopeful your visit had the desired outcome at the hospital.

We look forward to serving you again and hope that it will be to enjoy our proximity to the great many features Philadelphia has to offer beyond our world class health care facilities.

Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year,

Evan
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Le Meridien Philadelphia is an excellent, stylish hotel in Center City that is among Philly's best hotels (and edges out the Westin to be the best Starwood hotel). It's a former YMCA that was completely renovated a couple years ago, and is now a boutique-style hotel with European-influenced decor and furnishings.

The rooms are generally spacious, have good workspaces (I like the high desks very much because I am tall, but they may not be for everyone), and comfortable beds. The restaurant breakfast is very good, although they always seem a little understaffed (there was no host when I stayed last week and I stood around for awhile without seeing any staff before going over to the front desk to see if they could get some help). The bar is small, but very comfortable, and the bartenders are welcoming, friendly and an asset to the hotel.

I am an SPG Gold and started staying here last year as a backup to the Four Seasons. During the half dozen or so times I have stayed here, the hotel has been winning me over; the rooms are excellent, and the staff has gotten more experienced and more polished. I will be back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Made reservations over Priceline and called to confirm we had a king bed. After a smooth check-in, went up to our room and found two doubles. Called down to the front desk and they found us another room with a king. Even sent the bell hop up to meet us with the new keys. Room was very clean. Alarm clock went off at 3:30 am, bit of a shock. Heard the trash truck out our window at 7am, but that's city life. If you are driving in, save yourself $$$ and park across the street on the next block in the city owned lot. Valet price was almost double and they probably park your car there too.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

One of the best hotels I've been. Thinking about every little detail, excellent service. Design a modern and unique hotel, the rooms are clean, large and spacious, huge shower and pleasant.
Located opposite the town hall in the city center it's great location, walking distance from anywhere.
Tip: Internet fee but if you join the club you get it free.
Strongly recommend the hotel

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed for one night, but the staff was excellent. From the bellmen always getting our doors, to the helpful concierge. When we checked in, the lady at the front desk (Soda?) went above and beyond and surprised us with an upgraded room. It was a great view looking out to city hall! The bed was comfortable, the pillows were amazing. The bathroom was large, with a actual standing shower (not a stupid tub combo). The whole room is pretty chic. The room was quiet, and when we made a housekeeping request, it was delivered in minutes, and with a smile.

The only thing was the shower had some mildew and could use a nice dose of bleach, but I doubt all the rooms are like that given the cleanliness of the rest of the room and hotel.

We had an issue with the heater. We told the concierge when we went out for the night, and he sent an engineer to fix it. Roberto fixed it and left a nice note, and the concierge even remembered the issue the following morning and made sure it was fixed for us. The gym is limited, mostly cardio equipment and some free weights. Some of the TVs on the machines didn't work, but it was very clean.

The restaurant was closed for lunch, so we ate at the bar. The bartender was really friendly and he even gave us some suggestions on things to discover and do in the area. Breakfast in Amuse was good. The waitress was knowledgeable and friendly and catered to all of our requests.

We asked for a late checkout, and they gave us a time even later than we needed. They were helpful to store our bags, and they called a cab for us. All in all, the hotel is really nice, has a great location across from city hall, and we had a great stay, thanks to the amazing staff (sorry I couldn't remember everyone's names).

Room Tip: ask for a view of city hall. the view is worth it, even if you have to pay to upgrade.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Meridien Philadelphia? Share your experiences!