“Great stay, reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1421 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102   |
Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Oshawa, Canada
“Great stay, reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I loved this boutique style hotel. I got a good deal at $110 per night and was very impressed with the quality of the linens and pillows, the comfort of the king bed, the amazing shower and great service/staff. The room we had was at the rear of the building so it was very quiet.
They do charge $38/night for parking (common in the city centre) but you can take your car out as many times as you like - the valets were very nice and accommodating. The hotel is close to Love Park and City Hall and within walking distance of Reading Terminal Market and many other attractions,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Yes, this was once the YMCA, but not any more. It has a little bit of DNA from the W line at SPG in the common areas but the hotel is a quiet one. There are great views of the City Hall with Wm. Penn atop and also of the Philadelphia skyline. Amuse, the hotel's restaurant is fairly authentic French Bistro style with hustling staff. We've stayed here multiple times and eaten here by choice. In what probably is America's worst city to have a drink, the bar here serves a solid cocktail at a fair price. PA has better liquor laws than Utah, but generally it's painful to pay for drinks in Philly. One of at least 4 really good SPG properties in various parts of the city.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are exceptionally quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed here and was thoroughly unimpressed. Poor check-in experience as the staff had a lot of attitude, which is unusual at SPG properties in my experience. She gave me essentially the worst room in the hotel, I think, and as an SPG platinum member they are supposed to give me a suite if it is available or at least a nicer room. Said they were sold out. When I got to my room the view was literally of a wall. I called SPG and they called the hotel and within about ten minutes a guy showed up at my door with a key for my suite. Somehow, magically, a suite was available when just ten minutes before it was not and she swore they were totally sold out.

Room service was strange. There is no number to call so when I called the operator to ask for room service, she said she could take the order. That was helpful, but odd. Food was unimpressive, and expensive and small for what I ordered.

Staff was completely apathetic at every interaction. I even ran into an upper level management person who asked how my stay was. When I said it wasn't very good he didn't seem interested and followed up with a lame, "well at least that was taken care of" after I told him about something or other that happened.

My friend stayed at the Sheraton around the corner and when he walked into my room said his was much nicer, and he was comparing my suite to his regular room.

The only thing that was great were the doormen. Each was nicer than the next and could not have been more eager to help and sincere.

I will not visit this property again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
EvanGM, General Manager at Le Meridien Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
LA Business Traveler,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I do apologize that we failed to deliver a great experience during this visit.

I appreciate your recognizing the door team was sincere and eager to help. Clearly, our manager missed the opportunity to better respond to your feedback, he and I have spoken to ensure that does not happen again. Unfortunately, I do not have enough information on your stay to completely assess our missed expectations. I would greatly appreciate your contacting me with the details of your stay (dates and room number). This would allow me to review the check in and room service order so I can provide appropriate coaching and feedback.

Your SPG loyalty is appreciated and I hope we have the opportunity to have you back as our guest and demonstrate our commitment to excellence.

Please feel free to call me at 215.422.8200 or email me at evan.gm@lemeridienphiladelphia.com.

Evan
Summit, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went to a wedding at the hotel. Everything from the room to the food and service could not have been better. The architecture was interesting too with the open brick inside. Probably an older building, but so well preserved and modern. Easy walk to the major historical attractions. Parking was a little nuts though - $38 for an overnight. That's my only knock on the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Door men/women were great with assisting with anything you need, hotel staff were great and overall hotel architecture was awesome. My guest room had large windows with views, the bathroom was very large with great shower, lighting and counter space. I tried the restaurant for dinner and the service was the best I have had in a while and food had a great presentation.
I will definitely return to this property next time I am in Philly.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I had a fantastic stay at the Le Meridien Philadelphia over the summer and would recommend it to anyone wanting quality accommodation for a good value. We were able to find an extremely attractive sale (which Le Meridien has often) and made a weekend of it.

I did not rent a car, so most of the weekend we just walked from the Le Meridien and was able to explore the museums, restaurants and bars of the downtown area. Late at night certain parts of area can feel a little bit "sketchy", but overall we didn't think it was a problem.

The room was exactly what you should expect from a Le Meridien. It is stylish and clean. Not incredibly spacious, but not claustrophobic. We did not eat or drink at the hotel, but everyone we spoke with in the hotel was very friendly and happy to help us with recommendations.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Great location - next to historic philly
Great rooms
Super clean
Staff is super friendy
Food is amazing
Hotel is gorgeous
Would DEFINATELY stay there again ans will recommend to anyone visiting philly

• Stayed November 2012