“Hit for Restaurant Week” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Trattoria Prima Donna
1506 Spruce St, Ste 2, Philadelphia, PA 19102-4579 (City Center West)
215-790-0171
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: between 15th & 16th
Transit: We are just blocks from SEPTA Suburban Station, the Broad Street Subway at Walnut/Locust and PATCO's 15-16th & Locust Street station.
Description: Our food is as pure, sincere & genuine as mountain spring water. No fusion, no gimmicks, no shenanigans. We remain true to the artisan way of cooking, brought to America by my mother, Clelia, featured in many newspapers & magazines for her award-winning recipes. In the 1950s & ‘60s, in Rome, she cooked for many famous people in the film industry. Her favorite pupil for 15 years, Ugo, is still in the kitchen cooking her delicious recipes for you to enjoy. P.S. In 2001 I told my mother, “Things are changing. The restaurants are now doing food designing, color combinations, etc. etc.” She looked at me & said, “If people want to see designs & colors, they should go to a museum, not a restaurant.” And that’s my mother: never makes long speeches. Enjoy your meal.
Wayne, Pennsylvania
“Hit for Restaurant Week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We visited Bella Cena for Restaurant Week with two other couples in January. Its a bit cramped but a fine meal and experience. Wine friendly BYOB.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Philadelphia
“Exquisite food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

This is a pre-theater haunt, so it pays to get there early as service can be slow. The food is freshly made, interesting, well-priced and portions are not offensively huge. I had scallops on lentils for an appetizer, and with a third scallop it would have made a full entree - excellent flavors and sauce. The eggplant parmiggiana was fresh, had real tomoatoes in the sauce, minimal melted cheese, and lightly sauteed eggplant. The food we saw at other tables looked good. Wine list is bare minimum. The tiramisu we had for dessert was enough for two to share and the coffee was not bitter. They did need reminding to refill water glasses and it can get noisy when full. One block from Kimmel Center, Academy of Music and Merriam Theater; another block to Suzanne Roberts Theater.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
philadelphia
“my new favorite byob”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Being a Philadelphia student, I have been to the city a million times, but last week was my first experience at this restaraunt, now renamed Bella Cenas. Not only was the place small, and family owned, the prices were unbelievable, and the food was amazing. Byob, and a full bar, plus a room for partys, this place is my new favorite place to eat! Not to mention the atmosphere. My waitress was straight from Italy, and one of the waiters even played the piano for me and my date. Amazing.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“You NEED to eat the alfredo here just once - this is another one of those family owned and operated Italian restaurants...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

You NEED to eat the alfredo here just once - this is another one of those family owned and operated Italian restaurants and the alfredo is homemade. It's a BYOB, but they do carry a couple of tastefully selected wines. Oh, and save room for tiramisu - it's made from scratch too.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good food! But a swarm of mosquitoes under the table chewed me up the night before my preliminary exams and my feet...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

Good food! But a swarm of mosquitoes under the table chewed me up the night before my preliminary exams and my feet were totally swollen and itchy for a week! it was hard to concentrate on my exam. I hold this against the restaurant.